Investor · NY · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 14 votes
Hey guys! I'm a new investor in the real estate game and am looking at the Buffalo market to purchase my first home. I went to school at UB for 4 years and definitely see potential for growth.
To be more specific, I am looking for a multi-family unit. I was wondering what you guys think of investing in the overall Buffalo area, in particular, around the college campuses? Do you guys think the market will continue to grow, does it make sense, etc?
Appreciate all responses guy, thank you in advance!
Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 422 posts · 210 votes
5y
I’d be glad to help. I house hacked in Buffalo for years. Buffalo is a great place for rent/purchase ratio. In other words you can often purchase for the price of renting which works well for cash flow once you are renting other units out.
Real Estate Agent · Member since 2019 · 192 posts · 131 votes
5y
@Hnu Thaper can't speak for buffalo specifically, but deals are not macro level things. Any deal has a right price so if you're going into with good math, you'll be okay.
Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 112 votes
5y
Great place if you are smart about neighborhood selection and feel confident with your contractors. Lots of old buildings that need maintenance so be aware of that at the outset! We’ve been successful here for the past 4 years, but we also live close to our properties. Khaled and Matt above are excellent resources, and upstanding guys.
My main caution at the moment is to get up-to-speed on NYS laws and be wary of purchasing occupied properties without verifiable pro forma.
I went to school in Buffalo back in the day, so curious to hear what returns you can expect and what neighborhoods are attractive from a rental investment perspective?