Use ChatGPT to Protect Yourself from Scam Artists: Here's How...

Use ChatGPT to Protect Yourself from Scam Artists: Here's How...

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes

Here is a quick tip I do to do some research on people as too many people get burned in real estate and investing because they don't do proper research — or they stop at page one of Google.

One of the best tools you have right now is ChatGPT — if you know how to use it right.

If you're vetting a sponsor, fund manager, educator, or "guru," don't just search their name.
Instead, use a direct prompt like this:

"Researching [NAME OF PERSON AND COMPANY], should I invest with them, do they have a criminal history or many complaints?" Please include searches on Reddit, BBB and Biggerpockets and other public record datasources.

This forces the AI to dig for lawsuits, BBB complaints, red flags, and regulatory issues — not just their own marketing fluff.

I used this approach recently and uncovered major issues on some people who looked legit at first glance.

Bottom line:
Do not skip deep research.
Do not just go by podcast interviews, polished websites, or social media followings.

So whether you are a GP, LP, Private Lender, Investor, Syndicator, Fund Manager - Use every tool available to protect your money.

NOTE: THIS SHOULD NOT BE THE ONLY TOOL YOU USE, BUT IT CAN SAVE YOU TIME ON A PRELIMINARY / INITIAL REVIEW

7e investments53 Reviews
20Reply
53 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Chicago · Member since 2025 · 111 posts · 103 votes
    1y

    Thank you, I always do this. I am glad I am not the only one who thought of this. Very helpful. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y

    Well said.  I am part of investment groups that run background checks on sponsors and/or I run them in TLO.

  • Investor · Metro Detroit · Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Great tip! I have just tested this on myself and nothing problematic showed up haha

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    Here is a quick tip I do to do some research on people as too many people get burned in real estate and investing because they don't do proper research — or they stop at page one of Google.

    One of the best tools you have right now is ChatGPT — if you know how to use it right.

    If you're vetting a sponsor, fund manager, educator, or "guru," don't just search their name.
    Instead, use a direct prompt like this:

    "Researching [NAME OF PERSON AND COMPANY], should I invest with them, do they have a criminal history or many complaints?" Please include searches on Reddit, BBB and Biggerpockets and other public record datasources.

    This forces the AI to dig for lawsuits, BBB complaints, red flags, and regulatory issues — not just their own marketing fluff.

    I used this approach recently and uncovered major issues on some people who looked legit at first glance.

    Bottom line:
    Do not skip deep research.
    Do not just go by podcast interviews, polished websites, or social media followings.

    So whether you are a GP, LP, Private Lender, Investor, Syndicator, Fund Manager - Use every tool available to protect your money.

    NOTE: THIS SHOULD NOT BE THE ONLY TOOL YOU USE, BUT IT CAN SAVE YOU TIME ON A PRELIMINARY / INITIAL REVIEW


     Great tip Chris, thanks!

  • Lee OuellettePro Member
    San Francisco · Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    This is awesome. It's all about the prompt 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.