How do you keep everything organized once you own multiple properties?

How do you keep everything organized once you own multiple properties?

Investor · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 10 votes

One thing I've noticed over the years is that buying a property is usually the easy part.

Keeping track of everything afterward is where things get messy.

For me, it has included things like:

  • Warranties and appliance manuals
  • Contractor contact information
  • Maintenance history
  • HVAC filter schedules
  • Roof, HVAC, and water heater replacement dates
  • Insurance information
  • Property photos
  • Vendor invoices

I've tried spreadsheets, Google Drive folders, Notes, email folders... and eventually information still ends up scattered.

I'm curious how everyone here manages this.

If you own multiple rentals, Airbnbs, or even a vacation home:

What's your system?

Do you use software?
A spreadsheet?
Google Drive?
Paper files?
Something else?

I'm genuinely interested because I'm trying to learn how other investors stay organized as their portfolio grows.

3Reply
345 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant · West Jordan, UT · Member since 2017 · 180 posts · 95 votes
2mo

Francisco,
Great title for this piece. 
My response is for your readers/investors who are poised to scale.
I have a friend in Evanston, WY who had lots of rental property.
She set up a bank account for each property. 
The brilliant idea I want to share: The account was identified by the address... house number.
Now my tax insight: This maintains SEGREGATION OF FUNDS.
Money comes into and out of the account for that property. NO commingling.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · West Jordan, UT · Member since 2017 · 180 posts · 95 votes
    2mo

    Francisco,
    Great title for this piece. 
    My response is for your readers/investors who are poised to scale.
    I have a friend in Evanston, WY who had lots of rental property.
    She set up a bank account for each property. 
    The brilliant idea I want to share: The account was identified by the address... house number.
    Now my tax insight: This maintains SEGREGATION OF FUNDS.
    Money comes into and out of the account for that property. NO commingling.

    • Investor · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 10 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Janet Behm:

      Francisco,
      Great title for this piece. 
      My response is for your readers/investors who are poised to scale.
      I have a friend in Evanston, WY who had lots of rental property.
      She set up a bank account for each property. 
      The brilliant idea I want to share: The account was identified by the address... house number.
      Now my tax insight: This maintains SEGREGATION OF FUNDS.
      Money comes into and out of the account for that property. NO commingling.

      Janet, thank you! I really appreciate you sharing that perspective.

      I especially like the idea of identifying each account by the property's house number. That's a simple system that would make it much easier to stay organized as a portfolio grows.

      The point about avoiding the commingling of funds is a great reminder, too. Keeping each property's finances separate not only makes bookkeeping and tax preparation easier, but also gives investors a much clearer picture of how each property is actually performing.

      Thanks again for adding this. It's exactly the kind of practical tip I was hoping people would share.

  • Investor · Pflugerville, TX · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 94 votes
    2mo

    Great question.  I have dozens of rental properties and really have not found a good method for storing all the communication and things associated with them.  Best I have found is a well organized google drive that I can access from multiple devices.  Helps especially for quickly taking attachments from emails, text messages, etc. and then saving them immediately to a folder helps to keep me from forgetting about them.  Also, being able to scan documents/bills/agreements from your phone directly via the google drive app helps quite a bit so I don't get behind on my stack of paperwork.  

    I have looked at other software solutions but most of them require me saving the documents to a drive and then having to do another step to upload them to the software and I just do not think it adds all that much value for the time.

    Quickbooks online is the one software that is helpful and I use it more for the financial side of the properties.  It takes a while to setup and get familiar with but saves a lot of hassle during tax time and helps you really understand where your money goes and if your properties are making or losing money.

    • Investor · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 10 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Christopher Gilbert:

      Great question.  I have dozens of rental properties and really have not found a good method for storing all the communication and things associated with them.  Best I have found is a well organized google drive that I can access from multiple devices.  Helps especially for quickly taking attachments from emails, text messages, etc. and then saving them immediately to a folder helps to keep me from forgetting about them.  Also, being able to scan documents/bills/agreements from your phone directly via the google drive app helps quite a bit so I don't get behind on my stack of paperwork.  

      I have looked at other software solutions but most of them require me saving the documents to a drive and then having to do another step to upload them to the software and I just do not think it adds all that much value for the time.

      Quickbooks online is the one software that is helpful and I use it more for the financial side of the properties.  It takes a while to setup and get familiar with but saves a lot of hassle during tax time and helps you really understand where your money goes and if your properties are making or losing money.

      Christopher, thanks for taking the time to share this. It sounds like you've built a really solid workflow around Google Drive, especially using the mobile app to scan and immediately save documents. I can definitely see how that keeps things from piling up.

      One thing you mentioned really stood out to me:

      "Most software requires me to save it somewhere and then upload it again."

      I think that's one of the biggest reasons a lot of investors stick with Google Drive. If a tool adds extra steps instead of reducing them, it's hard to justify the switch.

      Out of curiosity, if there were a solution that let you capture emails, documents, photos, invoices, and vendor information without adding those extra steps, what would it need to do better than Google Drive to make it worth using?

      I appreciate you sharing your workflow—it's exactly the kind of perspective I was hoping to learn from.

    • Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 1 vote
      2mo
      Quote from @Christopher Gilbert:

      Great question.  I have dozens of rental properties and really have not found a good method for storing all the communication and things associated with them.  Best I have found is a well organized google drive that I can access from multiple devices.  Helps especially for quickly taking attachments from emails, text messages, etc. and then saving them immediately to a folder helps to keep me from forgetting about them.  Also, being able to scan documents/bills/agreements from your phone directly via the google drive app helps quite a bit so I don't get behind on my stack of paperwork.  

      I have looked at other software solutions but most of them require me saving the documents to a drive and then having to do another step to upload them to the software and I just do not think it adds all that much value for the time.

      Quickbooks online is the one software that is helpful and I use it more for the financial side of the properties.  It takes a while to setup and get familiar with but saves a lot of hassle during tax time and helps you really understand where your money goes and if your properties are making or losing money.


       I'd take your point about saving and re-uploading as the actual requirement here. Most of the tools people recommend still assume you'll do the filing yourself, and any system that depends on that drifts as soon as things get busy, which with dozens of properties is probably most of the time.

      What I've seen hold up better is capturing documents where they already arrive. For email this can be built on top of what you already have. You set up a dedicated address just for property paperwork and forward anything relevant to it from your phone. A small script watches that inbox and drops each attachment into the right property's folder in your existing Drive, going off the property address in the message. Your folder structure stays as it is, and the filing part happens on its own.

      Photos and texts are harder, because there's no subject line to route on, so the address has to be read out of the document itself. That has become quite doable in the last couple of years, but it's more than mail rules and filters can do.

      For context, I build small custom tools like this for individual investors. If you'd be curious to see what that would look like on your own Drive setup, I'd be happy to show you something working. Feel free to send me a DM.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2mo

    The fundamental problem is that most "solutions" are either a bunch of out-of-sync Excel lists and folders of hard copies and/or files of scanned or generated documents; OR, they are PM apps that are code driven, primarily financially focused, very rigid and inadequate. And expensive.

    Excel is for numbers. Databases are for information. The people building Excel lists are usually individuals or office staffers. The people building real, relational databases...know very little about the types and depths of information a PM needs access to regularly AND over a period of years, or how they even operate. This information is not something that can be "researched" by vague AI chats, or by a 30 minute phone call. It takes real experience to "see" all of the needs, and the knowledge of what is possible within the programming capabilities currently available. 

    The best you can hope for, so far, is a solid, double entry accounting software for the financial side, and a custom database that meets your needs for accessing the variety of information that is routinely utilized. 

    Due to the wide range of variables at every step, I don't believe there is any ONE app that can, or will, significantly fill the real needs of both types of information, and certainly not for free or cheap. 

  • Simon W.Business Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 664 votes
    2mo

    You can take my opinion as a grain of salt. I had clients who owns 2500+ units (hundreds of properties), some PMs that manages 300-500 units, some of them own vacation homes, STR, LTR, and others.

    Each bank account for each property is overkill. It should be each bank account per entity. Your books needs to make sure to keep track of each transactions and categorized to the proper property.

    If you have hundreds of properties with hundreds of bank accounts, I wouldn't touch your books with a 10 foot pole and the CPAs will have a field day.

    Find a capable accountant/bookkeeper to handle your books. Everyone wants to do everything on their own which is fine, but at some point delegating the work to a professional so you can focus on what you do best, investing.

    I am constantly fixing people's books due to how unorganized it was. It is always a WIP there is no perfect system to be organized.

    Having google drive to put all your receipts/invoices definitely helps for record keeping.

    You can the google spreadsheets and just link the invoices in the drive, but that's just a lot of work.

    It also depends how many properties you have and if it make sense to start investing in a PM platform such as AppFolio. This will help you keep things a bit more organized. Bills can be attached, notes can be made, and much more.

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Aaron WeikleBusiness Member
    Member since 2026 · 76 posts · 23 votes
    2mo

    The honest answer is that what works at two properties usually stops working somewhere between three and five. The core problem with most organizational systems at scale is that they track activity but not performance. You can see the transaction like a repair or a rent payment but you can't quickly answer which property it belongs to, whether that expense is running high relative to last quarter, or what that property's actual P&L looks like right now without pulling it together manually. That's fine when you have two properties and a spreadsheet. When you have six or eight, it's a monthly project just to know where you stand. What's made the biggest difference for me is treating each property like its own small business with its own income statement. That means every transaction gets categorized to a specific property the day it happens. Expenses flagged when they look out of pattern and at any point you should be able to pull a P&L for any single property. The tool needs to actually support that structure from the start, not require you to build it yourself on top of a generic accounting platform that doesn't know what a rental property is. What are you currently using and where is it breaking down for you?

    RealBooks
  • Cory HickmanBusiness Member
    Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    2mo

    My best advice is hiring a property manager. A manager will help you organize all your accounts, expenses, and streamline these processes. The biggest advantage to that is the manager acts as a buffer and takes on the front load so you can focus on building up your business. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2021 · 32 posts · 32 votes
    2mo

    I use TenantCloud and I've setup M365 for my property company and organize things in SharePoint. Folder for main stuff and then folders for each property.

  • Investor · Regina, SK · Member since 2025 · 54 posts · 42 votes
    2mo

    I currently use the free version of Stessa, but they stopped allowing Canadian properties to be added.  It helps track all kinds of stuff. Aside from that I set up each property with its own gmail/Drive account. This allows me to keep documentation, pics, emails, scheduled events/reminders all in own place. 

  • online · Member since 2026 · 99 posts · 44 votes
    1mo

    Warranties, contractor contacts, and vendor invoices are the stuff I never found a great system for either, that part probably does need a proper folder structure no matter what.

    The one piece I did end up solving separately is the "Roof, HVAC, and water heater replacement dates" line in your list. Instead of just logging when things were replaced, I started tracking that date against each system's expected lifespan, so instead of a folder of dates I have to interpret later, I get a running number for what I should be setting aside monthly, and a flag when something's actually due. Doesn't organize the invoices or warranties, but it turns that one line item into something actionable instead of just archived.

    Curious if Janet's answer below covers that angle too, or if it's more about the general filing system.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.