Neighborhood Research with NeighborhoodScout

Neighborhood Research with NeighborhoodScout

Contractor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 205 votes

Hello all, I just wanted to mention a website I've been using quite a bit the past few months, NeighborhoodScout.com . It is subscription based for neighborhood specifics (crime rate, schools, appreciation, etc), with varying subscription levels based on volume. You can use it for free indefinitely, without the specific numbers/statistics associated with the neighborhood. What's really cool is that it breaks data down to specific neighborhoods,often identifies trends, and provides vacancy rates, common occupations and incomes, etc. You can also open it in a few windows and cross index criteria to come up with best matching neighborhoods in the given area. Very cool stuff.

There may be other, better programs and sites out there, but I am not familiar with them. All normal verification processes should of course still be used, but of the ten or so test neighborhoods I used when initially utilizing the program with which I was specifically familiar, it was pretty close to dead on. I pretty much just wanted to throw that out there, hope it helps!

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
13y

Try city-data.com. It's free!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Glad it works for you. Doesn't for me. The first address I tried, in an established subdivision with 100 houses, yielded a made-up "neighborhood" of arbitrary bounds that is comprised of about 15 neighborhoods. The geography, map, and numbers aren't correct. Not even close. I'll put this site in the same bucket as zestimates... not worth consideration.

  • Contractor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 205 votes
    13y

    Chris, thanks for the input. I'll be sure to continue to cross-reference all my data. Do you have any other recommendations (other than MLS, as I don't have my license yet)?

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    13y

    Try city-data.com. It's free!

  • Contractor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 205 votes
    13y

    Hi James, I've used city-data off and on for a while, but does it cover specific neighborhoods? That's what I thought was cool with NS. That said, it never ever hurts to cross reference results. Thanks for the input James!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Every decade, our gov't does this thing called a "census", and collects lots of data in the process, and publishes that data too ...

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Chad C.:
    Chris, thanks for the input. I'll be sure to continue to cross-reference all my data. Do you have any other recommendations (other than MLS, as I don't have my license yet)?

    I guess it all depends on what you are trying to do. I use data directly from county property cards for subdivision density calculations (for instance, There are 53 NOO properties out of a sample set of 97, or 54.64% NOO for X Subdivision.) I have my own tool set(s) that can use about 40 qualifiers per card. I've programmed in my own heuristics for some things, others are just derivatives of the raw data (e.g. subdivisions in town T with all houses built after 2000) that you can probably find in MLS searches.

  • Contractor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 205 votes
    13y

    @chris martin, now I see where the disconnect is. You speak the language quite well, whereas I'm still essentially learning to talk :-) For instance, I think I found at least five new terms to look up from your last post! Just goes to show how much there is to learn, and I do appreciate your sharing your perspective with me. I think my first thing I need to know is just how little I know, and then go forward from there :-) Thanks Chris!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 121 posts · 28 votes
    13y

    thanks Chad C. for the site...i never heard or used the site before but should be beneficial for other stuff not just real estate :) good share

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Others on this site also use ListSource for real estate data. Disclaimer: I get data direct from the county and/or the courthouse so don't use their service.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.