Newbie - Buying out Siblings OOS for Potential Rental Property

Newbie - Buying out Siblings OOS for Potential Rental Property

New to Real Estate · Spring, TX · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote

Newbie here!  First off, just want to say what an amazing learning adventure it has been over the past few months for me on BP.  From listening to the podcasts, forums, etc, I immediately signed PRO!  I have been wanting to invest in Real Estate for years, and I think I may have found my first deal.

Okay, so I have a unique opportunity (I think) and I haven't really been able to find any forums/podcasts that delineate buying out siblings and turning that SFH into a rental property from OOS (I reside in The Woodlands, TX (suburb of Houston); potential rental in run down Warren, OH).

This would be my first DEAL, but this deal is actually what got me looking for more information (hence, BP).  My Father passed away a few years back, and left all 5 kids an equal stake into the paid off home (20% per sib).  Through high level discussion, I may be able to buy their stake of the house and transfer solely to myself.  Caveat is I dont have all the cash on hand to buy them out, so would need to buy the siblings out per a loan.  There may need to be some renovations done, but my brother would property manage for me (at a reduced cost).  

I grew up in this town so I know the good and bad parts - this property is closer to a C level property.  But with the 20% stake I already have, it would cost me no out of pocket cash to have this property.  

I would appreciate any feedback on if anyone has structured this type of deal, or suggestions on forums or podcasts I may have missed.  I have a good understanding of the Warren, OH area (homes are very economical, but not a growth area) if anyone wants some feedback as well.

Thank you and have a great day!

GN

"consistency is a superpower"
  

1Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Warren, OH · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 55 votes
5y

Gabriel,

That’s great. I grew up in champion, bought a house in Warren then 2 years ago moved to Cortland. 

My mother in law is actually a real estate agent who deals with relocation clients from out of state and also has worked with out of state investors so I think she would be perfect. I’ll send you her Info in a pm.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 227 votes
    5y

    Chat with a lender. You should be able to do a "refinance" and pay off the other owners. Question is...is teh home a good deal? Do you want to own 100% of the home...is it "that good" of a deal? Just something to think about. Or if its not a Great deal, sell teh thing pay everyone off and buy a GREAT deal 2-4 units and get some cashflow :)

  • New to Real Estate · Spring, TX · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Grateful for the reply! Reaching to my lender is a good idea. The numbers I ran thus far have it a base hit (7% CoC return), but with not a lot of appreciation if any. I am worried a little bit about depreciation more than anything. And I still need an appraisal and need to know what Reno needs to be done if any. I was thinking this would be a seamless first deal to reach my goal of 5 doors in 2021! What are some lessons learned from the community with this type of deal?

  • Insurance Agent · TX · Member since 2018 · 362 posts · 175 votes
    5y

    @Gabriel Novotny interesting situation. Not sure of your attachment to owning that specific house, but just reading that scenario (7% CoC in a flat to depreciating market) it sounds like it would be better for you to get bought out by one of your siblings and use that money to find a home with a higher CoC return in the same town. Have you run numbers on similar homes to see if you could put that 20% equity to work more efficiently somewhere else? This assumes one of your siblings might also be interested in buying the rest of you out.

  • New to Real Estate · Spring, TX · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Matthew Rolf I WISH I could have the other siblings buy me out, but none of them have the cash or credit.  I have equity sitting that I cant do anything with and I'm eager to get into a deal (that makes sense).  To make it even more of a snafu, one of the family members is currently living in the home.  I have equity in my current home in The Woodlands, but I don't want to touch that until I get more equity in other rentals (unless it was a great DEAL).  Also, Id rather not do an OOS to start but felt like a good opportunity to at least get started.  Appreciate the feedback!

  • Insurance Agent · TX · Member since 2018 · 362 posts · 175 votes
    5y

    @Gabriel Novotny gotcha.  Yeah navigating family dynamics is tricky.  I obviously don't know the whole situation or that specific market, but the other option would be getting the siblings on board to sell it and everyone take their 20%.

    If not, buying your siblings out would at least get you started (a single they would call it on the podcast).  Many lenders will count your anticipated rent towards your income level so I'm pretty confident you could get approved for a refi.  I'll PM you the lender that did my rental over here in Katy.

  • New to Real Estate · Spring, TX · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Matthew Rolf Thanks for the contact!  Homes in Warren Ohio are very economical, but the appreciation is low and the tenants would have to be screened with massive due diligence.  Go search the 44483 zip code (further away from downtown the better) and see for yourself.  So, if I can get the other siblings to agree to the buyout, and charge rent for my brother already living there (free ride is over), then I would use that equity in that house to refi on something else, somewhere in Spring or Conroe.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Not a huge fan of Dave Ramsey but I do subscribe to the question he always asks which is basically IF you did not have a connection with this property, would you head to Ohio to buy this property as your first investment?  

  • Contractor · Warren, OH · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    Gabriel, 

    Sounds like you have a good plan. I’m not sure when you lived in Warren last but they have recently built a massive power plant in lords town about 10 mins from court house square in warren. Also they are building an electric car/truck battery factory in lordstown which I believe will build batteries for the new hummer. You have Lordstown motors that is ramping up their factory (the old gm plant the Cruze was built at)for the start of their electric truck production. 

    It seems like these new companies are  bringing jobs back to the area and hopefully more and better quality renters. 

    I’ve noticed a lot of new homes and condos being built over the last year in Howland (new development 130 condos) and cortland being built (around 15 condos)


    I just wanted to give you an update since I’m in the area. Hope you find it useful.

  • New to Real Estate · Spring, TX · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Greg H. That's a great question and I don't really know the answer, but probably not. The only reason I am considering this deal is I have equity money in this house and trying to determine the best way to get the money to work for me. I know its not a great deal or HR, but I do think its a base hit. I just ran some additional numbers on Realtor and BP for appreciation and might be more than I originally planned. Plus, I think I can offer FMV but with repair caveat deductions.

    @Robert Arquilla I have lived in Houston for over 10 years now, but I do travel back to Warren once a year to see family.  That's great insight and I was not aware so really appreciate it.  I actually grew up on Cortland and lived in Howland!  Ill have to dig in deeper.  Do you have any recommendations on realtors out that way?

  • Contractor · Warren, OH · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    Gabriel,

    That’s great. I grew up in champion, bought a house in Warren then 2 years ago moved to Cortland. 

    My mother in law is actually a real estate agent who deals with relocation clients from out of state and also has worked with out of state investors so I think she would be perfect. I’ll send you her Info in a pm.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    @Gabriel Novotny why not just sell the property and let everyone cash out? 7 percent doesn’t seem like a great return. Letting your brother be a property manager doesn’t seem like a good mix. Is it rented currently ?

  • New to Real Estate · Spring, TX · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Caleb Heimsoth - That would definitely be the easiest route; however I dont think its possible as my brother has been living in this house only paying utilities and taxes, but thats a whole different story.  Also, if you just solely focus on the return and limited appreciation, not a great deal.  BUT, its more than that.  It frees up my stake, and would be better than doing nothing in which its doing now.  

    The forefront of my original post was what is the best way to pay the siblings if I didn't have enough cash to pay them out?  With my brother probably not going anywhere, start charging him rent enticing him with the lump sum payout.  Told you, unusual situation haha.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cortland, OH (44410) · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Gabriel Novotny

    I have a duplex in Warren and currently live in Cortland myself.  I actually graduated with a Novotny from Lakeview too.  Warren's housing market is pretty diverse.  Some houses sell for $20k and the street over the same size house will go for $160k.  Might be better just to sell the house.  Give everyone their fair share and reinvest your share into a duplex closer to where you live.  I'm not a very experienced investor but the greatest thing i've done so far is invest locally and essentially watch my investment and learn from it.  I constantly ask myself could I own this property if it were 30 mins away, an hour away, a state away, a flight away etc.?  Good luck and please update us with what you end up doing.  

  • New to Real Estate · Spring, TX · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Logan Reinard  Go Bulldogs!  I grew up there so I have a decent understanding of the good and bad parts - this property is on the fringe of good and bad (East Market and Oak Knoll area).  I wish I could sell the house, but the issue is a family member is living there now and probably wont leave.  

    Cost of housing is pretty high in the part of Houston I am in so there is interest out there as the housing costs are really economical. 

    Are you working with any real estate agents?  I have talked to a few local agents recommended to me by family but haven't hit the jackpot yet.

    Best, Gabe

  • Rental Property Investor · Cortland, OH (44410) · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Gabriel Novotny just sent you a message

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.