Skip to content
Asheville NC Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
Buncombe county zoning/permits/violations etc.

Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Posted Jun 21 2020, 03:49

I have sights on a property outside of city limits and ETJ, that is OU (Open Use) zoned. This parcel has several problems, the primary issues at hand are that no permits have been issued for well, septic, and structures. At least I couldn't find any on the Buncombe county online search. The historic use is not agriculture in nature, and future use won't be either. So I can't (won't) claim Ag exemptions in any way. It appears that use was (past tense since it's now vacant) for some kind of personal, STR, or vacation purpose. Probably personal vs. the others.

I've only dealt with eastern NC counties and have experienced a mixed-bag when dealing with county people, from fines to 'no action' to rescinded permits to condemnation. The questions I have: 

1. How reasonable are Buncombe county authorities when dealing with property owners willing to come forward and correct unpermitted services like well and septic?

2. Do locals rely on geologists as well as soil scientists and professional engineers (PEs) for obtaining septic permits?

For background, not that I know much about soils, the soils contained on this parcel (most of this parcel) are Edneyville-Chesnut (EdE and EdF) and Junaluska series, specifically Junaluska-Brasstown, mild to steep slope (so JbD and JbE). As I read it, the soil survey for Buncombe county (page 252) has Junaluska series as suitable for septic tank absorption fields as is Edneyville (page 152). 

I have no clue what slopes and grades will work. I suspect people get septic permits and systems installed all the time, so maybe I am overthinking things. Maybe that's a third question: 3. What slopes are too steep for septic tanks and fields? 

Any insight BP readers have about this would be appreciated.

Loading replies...