Turnkey buy and hold in Calgary, Alberta

Turnkey buy and hold in Calgary, Alberta

Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Calgary.

Purchase price: $424,900
Cash invested: $84,980

I bought this property mostly renovated in 2015 in the heat of Calgary's real estate market but I knew this was a good deal and good long term hold property, I made an offer only a few hours after the property was listed on the MLX and ended up in a bidding war with 3 other buyers which I won by having the most flexible terms (apparently I was not the highest offer). This property had a very nicely renovated main floor, an illegal basement suite and a heated oversize garage. I have since legalized the basement suite by adding interconnected smoke alarms, sprinklers in the mechanical room and applying for development and building permits.
Location: Huntington Hills, Calgary
Rent: Main Floor $1325 Basement Suite: $950 Garage: $300 Total: $2575
Net cash flow: $460

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Long term buy and hold potential

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Through a real estate agent

How did you finance this deal?

I got the downpayment 50/50 from personal savings and refinance of my previous rental property. Financed with a regular rental mortgage (20% down)

How did you add value to the deal?

Legalized the illegal basement suite

What was the outcome?

Great outcome so far, low maintenance good tenants and decent cash flow

1Reply
25 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Canada · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Anthony,

    Thanks for your post.  Do you find maintaining the property with renters difficult?  I am noticing that labor costs are fairly high in Canada.   Or do you have a trusted group that you can contact for easy to handle issues (toilet clogging, etc.).

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    5y

    I maintain a few things myself but most of the maintenance is done by trusted contractors

  • New to Real Estate · Canada · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    That's interesting.  I am still learning about the Calgary market, but it seems clear that single family homes are the best way to invest.   Do you find plumbers and electricians the most important?  I guess it's important to learn some stuff as you mentioned, but I am looking to see who is the most important to find and build a trusted group.  Thank you again for your feedback.  

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    5y

    Actually plumbers and electricians are the only trades that I have never had issues with, I've had good one since the beginning. The REALLY hard one in my experience is handyman and general contractors, those guys, especially if you want to pay a reasonable price are extremely hard to find, they come and go I've been through so many of them and the adage of "Price, Quality, Speed, pick only 2" really holds true here.

  • New to Real Estate · Canada · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Wow, that makes sense now that you point that out. Perhaps I'll get a downtown condo and Airbnb it.  Gotta check the numbers on that, but my hats off to you..it's not an easy task.  

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi @Ari Dehbone if you want options on people for maintaining your future property feel free to let me know.  We often give these since we have online home buyers/sellers/builders looking for guidance in a variety of ways. 

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    5y
    I am curious too in how you can help?

    Originally posted by @Account Closed
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.