Developer · Andover, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
I wanted to make everyone aware of this guy. He is going by the name of Bill Mitchell and under the business name Blue Whale Contracting LLC out of Portsmouth NH. He was working on several jobs for me up to this weekend and I knew something was off with him. He provided all insurance paperwork, W-9, signed independent contractor agreements, etc. Luckily we were paying him in arrears but I don't know if he has been paying his subs. I'm calling the police to inform them today.
Danvers, MA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 1 vote
12y
All of us at the Wenham job got porked by this guy...i actually have an email from him claiming he will send me a check, than i found out about all of this....what an absolute scumbag...he could care less about the people his BS affects...i may make it a point to take the day off and go to his next court date
Developer · Andover, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
12y
Ya, we will see. Most of the guys paid week by week so I'm not too concerned with them. It's the lumber yard, dumpster company and roofer that I am concerned with. I'll have to call them today.
Developer · Andover, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
12y
Update: I spoke with the Groveland officials and he is out on bail. The detective has been working on the case and is collecting evidence to go to the state to put him back in jail.
Also, I called the insurance company from the policy that he gave me and they told me that this is not a valid policy.
Lesson Learned - Always call the insurance company to confirm!!!
Real Estate Agent · Beverly, MA · Member since 2013 · 353 posts · 93 votes
12y
Thanks for the information Justin, and good luck! I think this is a great way for investors to discuss bad experiences with local contractors, and recommend great contractors. I will be sure to recommend qualified licensed contractors that work North of Boston if anyone is interested.
Update: I spoke with the Groveland officials and he is out on bail. The detective has been working on the case and is collecting evidence to go to the state to put him back in jail.
Also, I called the insurance company from the policy that he gave me and they told me that this is not a valid policy.
Lesson Learned - Always call the insurance company to confirm!!!
This guy does sound like quite the Pro!
What did he give you for proof of insurance? Did he just list a company and policy number or did he go as far as forgeing an ACORD certificate with your company as an additional insured?
Sorry this has happened what a pain in @$$. It is a shame that some people do not do honest business. You can screw people over one time or do good business with them for a life time. Some people are so short sighted when it comes to this. thank you for bringing it to everyone's attention.
Sorry this has happened what a pain in @$. It is a shame that some people do not do honest business. You can screw people over one time or do good business with them for a life time. Some people are so short sighted when it comes to this. thank you for bringing it to everyone's attention.
Great point Robert.
I think that good small business people are probably more apt to get screwed like this since it would not occur to us to try to make out a little in the short term at the expense of the long term business relationship.
Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
12y
Wow could this guy even walk with the brass ones he was carrying around?
@Justin Silverio I hope you are going to get all these forged documents to the police so they can really nail this a$$hole!
My guess is that your records are a lot better than a lot of the poor homeowners cited in the article, so it could actually be very important to getting him.
Wow could this guy even walk with the brass ones he was carrying around?
@Shaun Reilly It's funny that you mention this because now that I think of it, he told my partner that he uses the business name Blue Whale because they have the biggest 'ones'
Wow could this guy even walk with the brass ones he was carrying around?
@Shaun Reilly It's funny that you mention this because now that I think of it, he told my partner that he uses the business name Blue Whale because they have the biggest 'ones'
He also did a good job not throwing suspicion on himself by not acidentailly acting more professional than you might expect. :)
Danvers, MA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 1 vote
12y
All of us at the Wenham job got porked by this guy...i actually have an email from him claiming he will send me a check, than i found out about all of this....what an absolute scumbag...he could care less about the people his BS affects...i may make it a point to take the day off and go to his next court date
Developer · Andover, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
12y
Update: James emailed me to say that he has seen this post.
The lumber yard called my PM to tell us that James' check bounced. Luckily he paid cash or by CC mostly and the check was <$600. I also got word from two other subcontractor that James' screwed him out of money too.
@Chris Bleicher I'm sorry to hear that you lost time/money on this guy too.
Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
12y
Joe Lewis jr. Same type but he'll go one step further and actually try to sue YOU! (in small claims and for a job related "injury") Covers Boston and North in Massachusetts not sure if he migrated to New Hampshire yet.
All my other subs didn't get a long with him, which should've been a strong clue!
Update: James emailed me to say that he has seen this post.
The lumber yard called my PM to tell us that James' check bounced. Luckily he paid cash or by CC mostly and the check was <$600. I also got word from two other subcontractor that James' screwed him out of money too.
@Chris Bleicher I'm sorry to hear that you lost time/money on this guy too.
Sounds like overall the monetary damage hasn't been that terrible.
Do you think you have got a full handle on any of the stuff he didn't pay for that you might be on the hook for yet?
Also, I called the insurance company from the policy that he gave me and they told me that this is not a valid policy.
Lesson Learned - Always call the insurance company to confirm!!!
Actually, the proper way to handle any contractor's insurance verification is to have the contractor tell the agent / company they use to issue a certificate of insurance to you. Once you have the certificate, you can then contact the agent if it looks funny in any way.
As a certificate holder, changes to the policy should be sent to you - that would include failure to pay and notice of cancellation.
I never accept a certificate handed to me by a contractor, since that can be out of date and does not give me any "rights" since I won't be named specifically on such a certificate.
...
Also, I called the insurance company from the policy that he gave me and they told me that this is not a valid policy.
Lesson Learned - Always call the insurance company to confirm!!!
Actually, the proper way to handle any contractor's insurance verification is to have the contractor tell the agent / company they use to issue a certificate of insurance to you. Once you have the certificate, you can then contact the agent if it looks funny in any way.
As a certificate holder, changes to the policy should be sent to you - that would include failure to pay and notice of cancellation.
I never accept a certificate handed to me by a contractor, since that can be out of date and does not give me any "rights" since I won't be named specifically on such a certificate.
Good point!
If you have them add you/your company and the project as an additional insured they can send you an updated certificate directly and as you said you should be informed of any changes in the policy.
Update: James emailed me to say that he has seen this post.
That is awesome that James saw this post. What goes around comes around scumbag. Hope you have to move out of the area because everyone knows you are scum now. (I am assuming James is aka Bill who is ripping people off)