North Carolina General Contractors - Fayetteville, Sanford, Raleigh

7 Replies

We are in escrow on a 4-plex in Fayetteville, NC, and I have been searching around the internet and BP looking for a reputable GC to use in Fayetteville, NC. I spent a lot of time reading Angie's List reviews for my area, and while some of the GCs had fair reviews - Overall the customer feedback and the GCs responses to negative feedback read more like an episode of Judge Judy! Not wanting to get involved in any drama, I continued my search.

I stumbled upon the North Carolina Licencing Board For General Contractors. They have a "roster" of all of the licensed GCs in the state. Here is a link to their site: http://www.nclbgc.org/

The roster itself is a .pdf that can be downloaded at http://www.nclbgc.org/roster_fr.html

While this roster says little about their quality of work and craftsmanship, it does say that they are licensed in their trade. It is a good starting point for new investors to begin their search for the golden unicorn of real estate investing, a "good contractor!" 

If you are reading this, and you are not from NC. I'm certain that other states have a similar licensing board, and a "roster" of state certified GCs as well. Start Googling!

Good luck!

@Kerry Smith  

I'm in there!  :)

The roster is useful to confirm that a contractor is licensed but it doesn't tell you if there are any disciplinary actions against them by the board nor does it, as you point out, tell you anything about their work, reliability or trustworthiness. 

I have always found referral to be the best (though not fool-proof) method to find professionals. 

@Roy C.  - My pleasure Roy, I hope it helps you find a contractor you can trust. What kind of investing are you in to up in Raleigh?

Art Allen - Ha, so you are! I'm pretty sure that 1.5 hour drive from RTP would be a deterrent to working in Fayetteville. Great point on the disciplinary actions. I assume you can "vet" your GC by contacting the board directly? I agree on the referrals, they are your best bet. I'm unable to attend REIA meetings in Fayetteville, and had nowhere else to turn other than Google, Angie's List, or Craigslist at this point.

Art Allen Do you know any good GCs in Raleigh? Thanks!

@Dawn Brenengen  

Other than myself, not really. :)

If you'd like to send me a private message and tell me what you need, I may be able to help you or suggest someone who can. 

Art A. I work with Dawn here in Raleigh and I am moving into the rehab faze of investing. Would be interested in connecting and discussing.

Shawn

Hi @Michael W. 

Are you planning to attend the BP meeting in mid Jan?  If so, maybe we could talk then. Or if not, maybe we can grab lunch sometime. 

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide