Jumping Into the Indy (Indianapolis) Real Estate Market!

Jumping Into the Indy (Indianapolis) Real Estate Market!

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 13 votes

Aloha!  A little about myself (real brief), I currently live in Hawaii and have been doing extensive research in the Indy market over the last year and here in a few weeks I will be making the trip to the Indy area with my investment group, HIREI, to look at possible investments.

With that being said, I am looking for multifamily homes (duplexes), 2/1 units per side, in the 40-50K range. Also, looking for the rent to go for $500+ per unit. However, I have read that SFH may perform better in the area. Which should I focus my attention?

-How are the areas?
-What are the best areas to have a rental?
-What areas should I avoid?
-How is rental turnover?
-How bad is the winter months there?
-WHo are the solid, dependable Property Management companies in the area?
-….and who should be avoided?
-And how feasible are flips? What are typical fix-up expenses?

Like stated, I will be flying to the area in a few weeks (March 23-27) to look at properties. Please enlighten me on the above info and let me know more on reliable lenders, contractors, and property managers in the area whom I can contact. So looking forward to this expedition!

Thank you and Mahalo.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

@Travis Washington 

Welcome to BP. Indianapolis is a great cash flow market but you really have to know which are the good areas. It varies neighborhood to neighborhood. My first reaction to what you're looking for is to stay away form duplexes in the $40-$50K price range. They are going to be in high crime if not war zones. When you say you're looking for rent to be $500+ I'm presuming you mean per side. You'd be hard pressed to get $500 for a $40K duplex. You can do well with duplexes in the right areas but they can be real tricky so you have to be even more selective than you would with a SFR. It's not as easy as people might make it out to be. I know Indy well. Feel free to reach out if you'd like to talk.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Travis Washington 

    Welcome to BP. Indianapolis is a great cash flow market but you really have to know which are the good areas. It varies neighborhood to neighborhood. My first reaction to what you're looking for is to stay away form duplexes in the $40-$50K price range. They are going to be in high crime if not war zones. When you say you're looking for rent to be $500+ I'm presuming you mean per side. You'd be hard pressed to get $500 for a $40K duplex. You can do well with duplexes in the right areas but they can be real tricky so you have to be even more selective than you would with a SFR. It's not as easy as people might make it out to be. I know Indy well. Feel free to reach out if you'd like to talk.

  • Professional · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    @Travis Washington Welcome to BP!  It's a great site to help you along the way.

  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    11y

    welcome to BP @Travis Washington 

    read,ask questions,listen to the podcasts and then get to work 

    investing in a different city other  than the one you live in can be a problem 
    please go there and learn the area also meet as many investors in that area as possible 

    good luck

  • Investor · Greenwood, IN · Member since 2010 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    Travis Washington I work with a group in indy that owns around 200 units and they also buy, fix,rent, and handle the property management for you as well. I have helped them buy a ton of homes here locally and they really want to team up with a couple of groups that wAnt to buy homes turn key. If you are interested, I can set up a meeting with the group when you come into town with your group. Give me a call this week if you want to discuss more and we can set up the meeting when you visit.
  • Real Estate Attorney, Broker, Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 207 posts · 58 votes
    11y

    Travis,

    How in the world do you rate living in Hawaii while the rest of us Hoosiers are currently buried in snow at the moment? Chill! 

    Anyway, if you have any questions as to Indiana real estate laws, I would be happy to assist. Feel free to contact me.

    Happy Investing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.