3-unit multi-family closing with NJ green card violations

3-unit multi-family closing with NJ green card violations

Investor · Westfield, NJ · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 1 vote

Dear fellow bigger pockets investors, 

I am purchasing a 3-unit multiple family in Union County, NJ. The current owner didn't pass the green card inspection and they don't have time to fix them before closing. 

Does anyone know 1). where can I find out what's exactly green card  the violations? 2). How can I ensure that the seller will take care of the violations and pass the re-inspection after closing? 

Any suggestions are very much appreciated! 

Jimmy  

0Reply
40 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Are you purchase from a private party or through an agent?

    Here is their links:

    https://www.plainsboronj.com/FAQ.aspx

    https://www.plainsboronj.com/445/Resale-Inspection-Guidelines

    The phone # is at bottom of 2nd link....

  • Investor · Westfield, NJ · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    thanks Sam,  green card is an inspection (every 5 years) required by NJ state (Bureau of Housing Inspection) for 3 and up multi-family.  I am still looking for NJ state website http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/offices/bhi_faq.html#5 for the answers.  The link you posted is for township level inspection. Thanks anyway for the help. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    You need to contact the Bureau of housing inspections which operates under the Division of Community Affairs. Request a copy of the violations and they will send them to you. if the seller hasn't fixed the violations, then hold a considerable amount of money (seller's proceeds) in escrow at the closing until the violations are resolved and a green card is obtained.
  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Also do you have an attorney on this? If you're in South Jersey then an attorney isn't necessarily customary. However I would still obtain one. Especially when you're talking about properties that are 3 units and up which falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Community Affairs.
  • Investor · Westfield, NJ · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Thanks Ibrahim for your advice.  Yes, I did contact Bureau of housing inspections and they emailed me the inspection report and commission of orders right away.   The biggest issue is to install fire escape (second means of egress) for the 3rd floor unit.  I am trying to know how much I should request the seller to put in Escrow.  Do you know the cost range of installing a fire escape? I will try to call contractors for estate. Thanks  Ibrahim again for your reply. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    unfortunately I do not know how much it would cost to install one.
  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Mei Jiang,

    Did you end up closing this deal? I'm curious as to how you made out, and whether or not you were able to get the Seller to agree to hold funds in escrow to cover the cost of the rectifying the violations. If so, did your attorney draft a modification to the P&S agreement outlining terms/conditions of the escrow account/NJDCA inspection/violations?

    Ken

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hi Mei,

    Any update on the outcome? 

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Hi Guys...

    Do any one know contractor can give estimate for the work need to be done before state green card  inspection in Bayonne?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.