Looking for Help with Housing Authority of St. Louis County

Looking for Help with Housing Authority of St. Louis County

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hey everyone! My first post here! I'm looking forward to any help anyone can provide.

I purchased a rental unit at the end of October of 2020. The unit already had a tenant who was receiving housing assistance. I initially expected it would take some time for turnover to be conducted and that my expenses would initially be paid out of pocket and I prepared. However, it has now been over 4 months, and I'm having a hard time communicating with the case workers or anyone at the Housing Authority of SLC.

Initially I was just ignored, and then when they started emailing me (they're all working remotely, so there's no way to go in to an office, and they don't have phones to use for either apparently!), they weren't addressing any of my questions regarding the things I needed to be doing to move forward to start getting payment for my tenant.

I did receive an email last month from a case worker who asked me to sign a contract WITH NO AMOUNT LISTED IN THE RENT SECTION!!!

After telling her I wasn't going to sign until it was correct I received an updated contract and signed and sent it back. I haven't heard from anyone since then.

This week I logged into their landlord portal and I can see that there is a hold placed on my account for that unit. I have sent an email but haven't received a response.

I know this sounds a lot like I'm venting about this issue (and maybe I am... lol).

But really I'm trying to gauge whether this is the normal headache anyone in the area has experienced with the HASLC, or if this is a one-off.

Anyways, any insight that you wonderful folks could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @JenniferDonley is in St. Louis and an expert in Section 8.  I'm working on my first one with the city office on Page. Is that the same office you're working with?  Mr Miller has been very helpful for me. PM me and I'll give you his email address.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 228 posts · 279 votes
    5y

    @Anthony Pomerinke I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such trouble!

    No this isn’t normal. HASLC is usually pretty easy to work with and it should only take a couple weeks at most to process the paperwork.

    I find everyone there to be much easier to reach via email.

    I’m assuming you’ve submitted the new owner paperwork and received the HAP and it didn’t have the rent listed?

    Here’s what I would do- email the caseworker daily until you get a response. Cc the manager, whose name you can find online.

    Nadia Brooks is another person there that I’ve found to be very helpful.

    Let me know if I can help further.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Chris Fillingham I am not familiar with a Mr. Miller. My landlord portal account shows I'm working with the HA on Natural Bridge Rd. I have been in contact with a few people, but only intermittently . Miraculously I did receive a response on Friday. I'm working on getting back to them now, since I was away from my means to respond for the weekend.

    @Jennifer Donley Yes, I initially submitted the new owner paperwork back in November. But like I mentioned, the hold on my account doesn't start until December 1st. Which is a bit frustrating because I never put that date anywhere on my paperwork. And I'm even on an email chain where the previous owner told the HASLC that he had sold the property in October!

    In regards to the response I mentioned receiving on Friday: The person who sent the email clearly didn't look at my account on the landlord portal because she sent me documents and asked for information that I already had on my portal.

    I'm going to keep in touch, but this is the same person that I interacted with previously. It's like I can only ask a single question or make a single statement in each email... Every time I put more than one thing in the email, I only get a response to the first thing I inquired about..(if I get a response at all).

    But, I have contact again. So I'm gonna try to talk to her and see if I can get something done. And I'll take your suggestion and be sure to send an email daily.

    Do either of you have any suggestion for a general contractor in the area? I'd like to get some work done on the property before I rent it out again.  

    Thanks again for all the advice!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.