Norwood Park Chicago as a neighborhood

Norwood Park Chicago as a neighborhood

Sean MonahanPro Member
Real Estate Agent · 21224 · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 61 votes

Hello Chicago agents and investors. My friend is offering to sell their home off market to me in Norwood park. Gathering info to see if it is worth while to invest. How easy is it to commute, safety, future growth etc. Would love any insight. Thanks in advance! I live in Baltimore so my knowledge of the area is minimal at best.

1Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 222 posts · 153 votes
5y

Very desirable area. Near trains and the highway into the city. If the price is right, no hesitations in my opinion. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 222 posts · 153 votes
    5y

    Very desirable area. Near trains and the highway into the city. If the price is right, no hesitations in my opinion. 

  • Lender · Work: Wheaton IL Live: Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    My wife grew up in Norwood Park and most of her family still lives there.  Agree with Michael.  Nice area and desirable part of the city.  Chicago Police, Fire  and public school teachers are required to live in the city limits so many choose this area / neighboring Edison Park because it has more of a suburb fee.  

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Sean Monahan Norwood Park is a great spot. It is not the most transactional for most buy and hold investors since it is a nice area, but if you can get in at the right price you will be very happy. 

  • Sean MonahanPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · 21224 · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 61 votes
    5y

    @Michael J Scanlon thank you!

  • Sean MonahanPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · 21224 · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 61 votes
    5y

    @Kane Connell @John Warren thank you for your input. I’m sure as I gather more details more questions to follow!

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Sean Monahan - I'd echo @Michael J Scanlon - Definitely a good spot.  Make the purchase and you won't regret it.  If you are interested I definitely would be haha  Property will likely go fast if your friend puts it on market.

    Norwood Park is great in my opinion because it's super close to the city of Chicago 15-20 minutes with no traffic maybe 30 with traffic.  Also, the metra runs through that area and heads to Park Ridge which I really like also.

    Plus, super close to O'hare airport.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Just sold a place right on the border of Norwood Park & Edison Park. I agree it's an attractive area for all the reasons mentioned above.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 613 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Sean Monahan - I currently invest in Norwood and live just one neighborhood over. Agree with all that's already been said, but my question is you said "home."

    Home prices on NW side have gotten to a point where you can't make a SFH pencil, so unless it's a 2-4 unit, it will be very difficult to hit the numbers on a SFH as a pure investment.

  • Sean MonahanPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · 21224 · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 61 votes
    5y

    @Tom Shallcross  It is a home but in need of repairs to force equity.  Also I see a need for housing for traveling professionals which is what I would go for.  Even so It would barely cash flow but I think the market will appreciate.  I'd be willing to take a 25$ a month cash flow for the potential upswing.  

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Can't go wrong in Norwood Park, unless of course you pay too much.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.