How much rehab work is too much?

How much rehab work is too much?

Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2013 · 48 posts · 14 votes

Hi,

I'm looking at a 4plex in Phoenix built in 1962. Each unit is a 2bd/1ba and 720sqft. According to rental comps, I can get $500-$600 per unit. The purchase price is $125K. With 30% down 30yr mortgage at 5.1%, I compute monthly mortgage payment at $476. Using the 50% rule (thanks everyone for showing how this works), I compute $500/unit * 4 units = $2000 * 50% = $1000.

So, based upon that, $1000 - $476 (mortgage) = $524. So, it appears like a good deal.

However, it looks like it will need about $40K to $50K in rehab work. The major rehab items are that the units have old evap coolers that are on their last legs so I will need to replace them with new AC/heat pumps and which will require new electrical panels. So, I'll need to purchase 4 AC units and 4 electrical panel upgrades. Plus, there are many deferred maintenance items that need to be fixed.

I'm wondering at what point does the rehab costs make the deal a bad deal. My realtor mentioned that after fixing the units up and by comps, they should go for $180K and possibly $200K by next year (at the rate that the Phoenix market is going). I'm a buy and hold so I was planning to hold onto them.

>> I'm looking for any advice on how people would evaluate this deal.

Also, would you recommend doing only the necessary fixes up front and trying to push off any expenses for fixes till later (e.g. taking out carpeting and putting vinyl planks/tile)? Or would it be better to try to fix it up as much as possible initially to potentially get a better tenant and lower the longer term maintenance costs?

Thanks for your help.

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Dean,

    Sounds like this is a low income scenario, which is my rental market as well. When we first started, we had the mindset that if we made the units nice, that we would get better tenants and that tenants would take care of the upgrades. I am now of the mindset that we stretch things out as long as possible as long as the issue isn't hurting the property or the tenants. Experience has showed me that each tenant turnover is another opportunity to replace everything, regardless of long long ago you last did it.

    Hopefully someone else will jump into to provide input on the deal analysis...

  • Homeowner · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2012 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @Michele Fischer. I am curious if there was a specific situation that changed your mindset?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.