How BiggerPockets created 100k in net worth in 4 months

How BiggerPockets created 100k in net worth in 4 months

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes

This is a long overdue thanks to the BP community as a whole and the mentors and friends I have met through BP.

By way of background, my core investing strategy is buy and hold. I have a full-time job and consider real estate investing to be a solid hobby of mine. Some guys like sports, cars, legos... etc. While I like those things, I choose real estate. I have been trolling BP for almost 7 years now and for many years I have read and listened to conversations about whatever was discussed in the forums and podcasts.

I bought my first rental in 2007 and was hooked.

Enter BiggerPockets.

After slowly growing my portfolio to what I thought was a critical mass, I felt I would benefit from obtaining a RE license. Once I got the license finding deals became easier, but I was still limited by what was listed on the MLS, however, I was getting better deals and saving commissions. Happy investing.

I have been trolling BP for almost 7 years now and for many years I have read and listened to conversations about direct mail. I always thought it would be too time intensive for me with a full-time job. After hearing @Jerry Puckett and @Sam Craven podcasts (as well as all the others), I thought I might give it a try. I was quite skeptical at first as I have a full time job and thought engaging in a direct mail campaign would be time and capital intensive.

After a quick email to Jerry we set up a call. One call with Jerry and we were ready to go (skeptical, but ready to go). We engaged Jerry to help us with a very small direct mail campaign (500 letters a month at a total cost of $3,000 for a 6 month campaign).

Since it was our first campaign we opted to do as much as we could to keep the cost down so we chose to stuff and stamp the letters ourselves and knew we were taking a considerable risk with a small campaign.

We committed to a $3k campaign for a 6 month period and never thought we would see the $3k again (but we were excited for our expensive experiment). Since my partner and I have full time jobs (and manage our growing rental portfolio) time was our biggest constraint (and money). We set up a google voice number and started mailing letters. As the calls came in we let every one go to voicemail. Never answered a single call. We called back each individual and fumbled though the many scripts that can be found on BP. Low and behold, our 500 letters to the same 500 individuals a month got the phone ringing.

Let's talk results.......................

Remember I am a buy and hold investor with a RE license and a full time job. I was just hoping to get better deals than I could find on the MLS.

After 4 months of letters (500 a month to the same 500 people) My partner and I have COMPLETED the following deals solely from our direct mail compain (these results do not include current leads we are working or deals purchased on the MLS).

House 1 - Purchase price 48k, 12k rehab, rents for $1,100 a month. ARV = 90k (Net 30k equity and cash flowing rental)

House 2 - Purchase price 31k. Wholesaled (closed and relisted on MLS) for 59k two weeks after purchase. Netted 24k after holding/closing costs. House required 25k rehab and had an ARV of 110k.

House 3 - Purchase price 61k. Partnered with a local wholesaler (met on BP) who found a buyer at 73k and double closed it. We split the spread with the wholesaler and netted 5k.

House 4 - Purchase price 70k, $0 rehab, rents for $1,100 a month. ARV = 90k (Net 20k equity and cash flowing rental).

House 5 - Purchase price 70k, $0 rehab, rents for $1,100 a month. ARV = 95k (Net 25k equity and cash flowing rental).

Net Net Net.........

The value I place on the education and training that can be found on BPockets can not be calculated by a simple cost benefit analysis, but if you want one here you go.

My partner and I have increased our net worth by the following amounts solely from the 5 completed deals in the first 4 months of our direct mail compaign. These does not include the 7 other rental properties purchase directly from the MLS in 2013 that we used knowledge learned on BPockets to acquire.

Cash - 29k (properties sold)
Equity - 75k (properties held)
Total - 104k
Plus the net present value of the 3 cash flowing properties we held.

Subtract the 3k for our small direct mail campaign and we are still over 100k in net worth increase. Not a bad result from our 3k experiment with direct mail through contacts made on BPockets.

In the last 6 months, I have used the knowledge gained from BPockets to find, analyze, acquire, finance, rehab, advertise, lease and manage 10 additional properties. My modest portfolio continues to grow and my simple hobby has turned into a passion.

Thanks for the community @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner and all the moderators and contributors.

47Reply
608 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
12y

Great post. Very motivating. I have not used direct mail before but after reading this i think I'm going to have to start.

See this reply in the discussion

101 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 29 votes
    12y

    Very inspirational story. I think its really great that you had zero expectations for your initial marketing campaign and willing to take the risk. I don't think many people would be willing to fork out $3k and jump right into it. I haven't done any deals yet but your story definitely inspires do it. Are there any mistakes or missteps that you or your partner did, that you could share with us? @David J.

  • Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @davidjackson GREAT POST! This was very inspirational and the mental kick in the pants that I needed to step up my direct mailing game. Thanks for putting this up!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    12y

    @George Bittar

    What was your monthly call back %?

    I didn't really keep track but I can tell you that I got quite a few calls in the beginning and then the call volume slowly dropped off. Most not interested at all and were just removed from the list. I would ballpark 5-7% the first month and it has slowed to 7-10 call in month 5. Same list. Different callers. I keep track of everyone that could even remotely be a potential lead and call them back every so-often to check in and see if our price gap has come closer.

    Did you also call back numbers captured on Google voice that did not leave you a voice mail?

    Yes... With that said, I think in all 4 months we had maybe 5 calls that did not leave a message. The message is nothing special. We kind of had fun with it and my parter recorded it pretending to be me in a super excited tone. One of the guys that sold us his house said. "man, I thought you were going to jump out of that phone." lol

    How did you finance the deals you decided not to wholesale? It appears you’re beyond the conventional financing limits from your previous acquisitions if you used traditional financing.

    I ran out of conventional bullets on my first property in 2007. I was a college student and my first rental was financed with a no-income, no-asset, no-job sub-prime loan (30-yr fixed at 7.5% interest). Can't find money like that anymore. I moved to commercial lending almost exclusively and the lenders (smaller local and regional banks) "lend money on the property and not the man." Although I think that may have been a slight eggageration on the part of one of my lenders.

    At the end of the day I think the rapport you build with callers is very important. Everyone hates sleasy salesy guys and to feel like they are getting taken advantage of. If you can remove that picture form the potential seller's mind you battle is that much closer to being won.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    12y

    @Henry Nguyen

    Are there any mistakes or missteps that you or your partner did, that you could share with us?

    Honestly I think the biggest mistakes (and the ones that cost the most) are the ones we don't know we are making and will never know we made.

    Our perspective was simple. We have bought houses before so let's just see what comes in. Our goal was simply to get better deals than on the MLS. If we got not no deals we would have just kept buying on the MLS. We just used our previous buying experience (with the knowledge of our farm area) and told people what we could pay for their property to make it worth not just buying another one on the MLS.

    As far a huge mistakes, Every time I sell a house (3 times in my life) I think I am making a huge mistake. lol. I am a forever buy and holder.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
    12y

    Dave and I have done business together multiple times on the RE side, and with his company on the legal side. Even though he is an attorney it has been fun and enjoyable.

    Keep it up Jimmertime! Lets do bigger things in 2014.

  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 9 votes
    12y
    Congratulations David Jackson
  • Real Estate Professional · Lees Summit, MO · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    Great report @David J. !! We have done direct mail exclusively for the past 3 years. We are just now starting to get into bandit signs and more broad-based marketing. The great thing about direct mail is the targeted list - You said Absentee Owners with (hopefully) some equity. Thats a GREAT LIST. We do the same, looking for retiring landlords. We also mail to a Inherited Property list we are able to get quarterly. We do postcards so the cost is less and they don't have to get opened. And I agree - BP is an excellent place to get ideas and learn!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Awesome David! You have motivated me to get more serious about my direct mail.

  • Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    12y
    What a great story! It's great to hear. I'm just starting on BP. Where can I find the types of mailers you used with such great success. I'm in the South Florida market and haven't used mailers before.
  • Ft Myers Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 53 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    @David J.

    Congratulations David!

    Great to hear the success of another BP member! Thanks for sharing such a positive and inspiring experience in the arena of REI. Another one to grow on. Gotta love BP!

    This year, I know will be an even better and bigger year for you David. Hopefully, for all of us here on BP! Thanks to Joshua and Brandon a million times over for this Incredible community.

    BP! the new Facebook of Real Estate!

    Congrats again David.

    Gratefully,

    Jay

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Absolutely Awesome!!! Great to hear this stuff really works - thanks for sharing!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Woodhaven, NY · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 11 votes
    12y
    Annnnd One more big pat on the back! Awesome and inspirational story. I never even considered direct mailers, but I certainly will now. Thanks for sharing! Javier Diaz
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    @David J.

    I've only been on BP about a week and Im amazed at all the information I've took in. Love hearing stories like this

    Im kind of in a similar situation as you were in: Full Time Job, Part Time Realtor buying mostly off the MLS.

    Thanks for sharing and best of luck!

  • martinsvile, VA · Member since 2013 · 90 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    Very Cool congrats,

  • Investor · Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2010 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    @Mike Bryant where do you get your inherited list from? I head about this also at a BP meetup in NYC that I attended yesterday and hear good things about them. This is different from probate leads correct and the new homeowners are past the legal process?

    Also, who are using for your postcards? We have been using yellow letters and transitioning to postcards for the same reasons you mentioned.

  • Real Estate Investor · Coconut Creek, FL · Member since 2013 · 97 posts · 35 votes
    12y

    Are you purchasing these houses cash or getting a mortgage?

  • Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2013 · 109 posts · 14 votes
    12y
    Wow this is awesome and good to know.
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    12y

    @Jordan L.

    Our acquisition strategy differs depending on the situation of the seller, but in general, we acquire houses in the following ways:

    1. Conventional financing (if we partner with someone that qualifies)

    2. Commercial financing (if we can have a couple weeks to close)

    3. Line of credit (if we need to move fast)

    4. Cash (if we need to move fast and the line of credit is tapped)

    Regardless of the acquisition method, we either:

    1. Leave in conventional financing

    2. Leave in commercial financing

    3. Refi out of our line of credit/cash position to a commercial loan

    4. Sell the property to free up the line of credit/cash

    In the case when none of the above are available we partner with a wholesaler we trust and let them monetize it.

  • Real Estate Professional · Lees Summit, MO · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    @George Bittar , we use a vendor in San Diego called US Lead List. You can google them. They call it Inherited, so I don't know if its specifically a "probate" list. We get responses from widows, and heirs of estates. Always it is somebody on title has passed away recently. US Leads will make their quarterly list available to 3 purchasers in any county they have access (which is most of the US). Call them to see if your area is available. Its a great list.

    We use Click2Mail to send a mail merged yellow or green postcard. Cost to print and mail is 44¢. (I think postage is going up 2¢ next week, so it will be 46¢).It's all automated of course, but you can upload a customized template to make it look personal if you want. I've never done a "yellow letter" but have heard about it for years. I like the postcard because it doesn't need to be opened. If they have any inkling or desire to sell, they'll call you. You get a few angry callers from this list, but very few; many more good leads!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cranford, NJ · Member since 2011 · 149 posts · 54 votes
    12y
    Thank you for sharing David Jackson ! Congratulations !! We definitely need to have more of these success stories shared on the forums in our Bigger Pockets community. It's a great way to keep newbies and seasoned investors alike engaged and inspired to keep pushing ahead! Here's to your continued success!
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Great job, David! What are you going to do with what you've been learning? Tweaking your strategy at all?

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Great job @David J. , your success story is part of my guts and grit philosophy. It takes guts to try direct mailing including answering so many calls from strangers and the risk of losing your investment. The grit comes from working a full day job, then doing a mail campaign and answering all the calls in addition to the day job. That is a recipe for success. The thing I admire most is your commitment to to your day job and it comes first while you are there. That is integrity. That makes you the kind of guy I would want to hire or do a business deal with. You have my respect.

  • Wholesaler · Washington, D.C · Member since 2011 · 449 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    Very impressive, @David J. ! That's an amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    David, congrats on you buying accomplishments, that's building a good foundation for your business! I echo Jerry's comments as well!

    I wasn't going to mention this, but seems there is a lot of traffic so a reminder.

    Claiming you buy under market value can only be accomplished under certain conditions. Regardless, you can't really claim that you earned equity buying a good price, this is guru accounting. You can't claim such equity on any financial statement nor provide it to a lender or other investor.

    It goes against definitions of market value, acceptable accounting principles and legal representations to lenders or investors. After one year from a purchase you can obtain an appraised value which can then be used to base net worth, within one year it's listed at the cost of acquisition.

    You can get a great deal, but you do not build instant equity after closing for financing or accounting purposes, gurus use these claims to add sensationalism to their claims. Most sales are at market value by definition.

    Not picking at David or anyone else in the past posts, but there is another legal term in real estate "puffing" and using guru accounting can certainly meet that definition. Think along the lines of Enron. We have had "defenders" of such claims on BP in the past, that investors are not required to follow generally accepted accounting principles, true, in their accounting system, but they are when it gets to public investing or applying for financing, so the only reason to have a double standard would be to puff or inflate claims.

    I don't think David was really going there as a misrepresentation as much as to demonstrate or just give a basis for the good deals he feels he got. No harm, just pointing out that you really can't/shouldn't go there in RE aspects. :)

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley

    I agree with Bill. We finance every property we hold and most of the lenders we have experience with calculate allowable LTV using the lower of the purchase price and the appraised value. With that said, the FMV I represented in my original post represents the appraisal value of the properties based on the actual appraisal provided to the lender, who then calculates the LTV based on the purchase price of the property (not the appraised value).

    I also agree that "equity" has no accounting value until it becomes realized upon the sale of a property. With that said, when we apply for financing, every lender we use requires us to disclose the purchase price of each home in our portfolio and the "estimated FMV" of each home in our portfolio. Our lenders also calculate, among other things (like DSCR), the "loan to cost" and the "loan to value" (our estimated FMV) of each property in out portfolio based on our disclosures to the lender.

    Conclusion........

    Based on Bill's post above, I hereby amend my original post by inserting the word "estimated" before each occurance of the words "ARV" and "equity" and "net worth".

    Luckily I did not use the terms "FMV" or "fair market value" in my post. If I had I would most certainly have been "puffing". And... per Bill's request I have placed all estimated equity accrued in the making of this post on the shelf in my garage next to the weed wacker and agree not to retrieve said equity until 12 months following the date such equity was placed there. Once retrieved, however I will then and only then begin referring to such estimated equity as "equity" without the heretofore qualifier known as the word "estimated".

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.