ADU in South Los Angeles, Updated Figures for 2023

ADU in South Los Angeles, Updated Figures for 2023

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 15 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Los Angeles.

Purchase price: $642,000
Cash invested: $135,000

BRRR is possible in Los Angeles! It is just a carefully planned process.

Bought a 2 bed 1 bath layout in Leimert Park (average price point as of Jan 2023 is $1M), remodeled the existing 1924 craftsman bungalow plus added a 3/4 bathroom/HVAC/200amp panel. Permitted an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) by converting the existing 2-car garage and studio (720SF total) built in 1996 with a Certificate of Occupancy. The ADU is now a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house with its own private yard. The plan is to short-term rent it but may switch to renting long term. The average rent for the rear ADU unit is $2400/month.

I BRRRed this house (Buy, Renovate, Refinance, Rent and Repeat). I was able to cash out and refinance $94,000 to pay myself back for the ADU renovation. My interest rate went down, the PMI went away (I originally only put 5% down) and my payment stayed the same, so that is a win. Refi value came in at $950,000 (which is $308,000 in equity in 19 months). I was delayed with COVID to start construction on the ADU, the City of Los Angeles Building and Safety Department has no system to issue and review permits digitally until at least 6 months after the pandemic hit.

I live in the front house. I rent out the back house until I find my next project. I am negative cash flow but I pay $1300/mortgage offset by the ADU income. Pretty decent rent to live in a completely renovated 2 bed 2 bath craftsman with a front and backyard in Los Angeles.

2Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 9 votes
3y

@Dan Heuschele

What about his architecture fees?

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tallahassee · Member since 2019 · 249 posts · 93 votes
    3y

    This is incredible, definitely something I want to do in the future. How long was the entire process for you from purchase to ADU build and finish. How long was permitting and how long do you expect the entire process for a new buyer?

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Awesome use of the cash-out refinance to increase cashflow on your portfolio! Great work!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y

    Some items that are unclear: 1) how much did you spend on the ADU permitting/enhancements? 2) how much rehab and additions? 3) how much time elapsed between purchase and the refinance? I am trying to determine the natural market appreciation versus value add.

    The $308k had costs for the ADU permitting and enhancements, cost from initial unit rehab and enhancements, and significant market appreciation (property values in Los Angeles (and virtually everywhere) went up significantly during COVID.

    Thanks

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    Nice @Shannon Shue ! Thanks for sharing!

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    @Shannon Shue

    No 5% refi's anymore today it's like ~8%

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    @Dan Heuschele

    What about his architecture fees?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.