What would you offer on this 4 Unit

What would you offer on this 4 Unit

Henry R.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes

I'm scheduled to look at this 4-plex later today.

Asking price is $109,900 Price has been lowered to 99,000

My agent is now saying they have a couple of offers

The units are in good condition and fully rented

22500 25% down if bought at 90K
Loan rate 5% 30 yrs
Monthly rental minus 10% vacancy $2070
Home owners 700 yr
taxes 6300 yr
monthly expenses $620 not including PM

RENTAL INCOME 24840 YR
Total expenses 18784
Total loan payments 4344
Cash flow $6056
Intrest expense $ 3375
Depreciation $2945
Total tax deduction $4080
Tax saved -612

Net after tax cash flow $5444 or $453 per month

This is from an on-line Investment Property Calculator.
I kept it as short as I could.

These figures are at 15% discounted price

Purchase Price $93415
Down payment $23,353
Loan rate 5%
Term 30yrs

Monthly rental less 10% $2070
Home owners 700 yr
Taxes $6300 yr
Monthly expenses $620 NO PM

Rental Income 24840
Total Expenses 18952
Cash Flow $ 5888
Intrest Expense $ 3503
Depreciation $3057
Ins, tax, other expenses $14440
Total tax deduction $-3840
Tax saved $-576

After Tax cash flow $5312 or $442/mo.

Taxes are high in NYS.

There is a misc expense that is included in the figures at $ 4739 per/yr, for plumbing,painting furnace repairs( looks new) etc.

Thoughts anyone that is into buy and hold? It's a tad over $100 per door. I know Brandon Turner likes to see $200 per door on a 4plex, that has been tough for me to find at this point.

Does not need any rehab at this point all expenses includes debt service

Does this look like a good deal?

Thanks so much to everyone in advance.

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 54 votes
12y

I'm new to this website and forums and have been picking my way through different interesting looking threads. This one struck my fancy and I absolutely love the teamwork on display here!

@Henry R. Thank you for posting the question and infos! Best of luck on your deal!

@Aaron Montague @Brandon Turner @Swat Khan @Bill Jacobsen @Walter Ichikawa-Doyle Thank you for the feedback and tips! You guys rock! Can't wait to grow up and be like you! :)

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    By using your numbers and adding a few of my own I get and estimated NOI of $9,411. You can apply your own cap rate to those numbers to determine value. With your cost of money there is sufficient spread.

    Good Luck.

    Bill

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Thanks Bill I put my offer in. If you get the chance would you mind showing me how you got the NOI up to $9411?

    Thanks again

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    I rechecked the numbers and got $9,529.

    $24,840 Gross Income

    -2,070 less Vacancy

    -700 Insurance

    -6,300 Tax

    -2,241 Property management

    -4,000 Maintenance/Capital reserve

    ______

    $9,529 NOI

    To determine the cap rate you would divide this number or your adjusted number by the purchase cost including any costs for inspections, obtaining loans, etc.

    Hope this helps.

    Good Luck.

    Bill

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Thanks Bill,

    I see, what I did was take the less vacancy off the top. With all the units rented the gross monthly rent is $2300 less 10% would be $2070, perhaps I did not show it correctly in my post.

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    That is no problem. Just make sure that you include all the expenses that you would incur. In my opinion the NOI has to be high enough to justify the purchase. Then, after subtracting the finance cost you have to have enough cash flow to satisfy yourself.

    Bill

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    @Henry R.

    I like this place at a purchase price of $92,500. It meets my criteria of $100/door/month AND 15% cash on cash return.

    I see 2070 in monthly income against the following expenses:

    Mortgage Rate 5.00%

    Length of Mortgage in years 30

    Monthly Mortgage payment $372.42

    Taxes $525.00

    Sewer and Water $150.00

    Trash $- (tenants deal with this somehow?)

    Heat/Utilities $- (there are zero common areas with electricity?)

    HOA $-

    Cap Ex and Ops $150.00 (this is my minimum number per month per roof)

    Insurance $58.33

    Mgmt Fee $207.00

    Vacancy $207.00

    Total Expenses $1,669.75

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Henry R. how did this work out for you? I love to see $200 per unit per month but thats so tough. I'm happy, on multifamily, with $100 as long as I don't need a lot down.

    Anyways, just wondering if anything happened with this.

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Aaronm. for your reply. ( hope that @ works)

    Thanks @BrandonT. my last offer is at 85k, I was told yesterday that the seller came back with 92k, however he lowered his price from 109k to 99k.I was told he had other offers when he came down to 99k, but I have no proof of this. I thinking of a counter offer of 90k. it's fully rented now with 2 long term tenants, 2 yrs and 4yrs. Full rent is 2300 per month or $27,600 per year, all expenses including debt service is $18880, after tax is $7484 if purchased at 90k with 25% down. yes it's tough in my area to get 200 per door.
    I would need to buy in a very upscale area and not many 4 units plus I could not afford it anyway.So that is $623 per month after all expenses and fully rented.
    It is in a c+ to B- working class neighborhood all 1 bed room units. well kept. It is old built 1914, but that's what you get in the City of Schenectady. A few other places i viewed were 115k and 129k and they were dumps. this is owned buy and investor he's in his 70's and had done a good job with it.

    Thoughts?

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Sorry about some of the mistakes going to fast, the figure of $7484 is the yearly after tax income. And how do you do that @ thing correctly. lol

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Hi @Brandon Turner

    Ok, I had to go to google chrome to use the @symbol

    Brandon check out my reply to your post.

    Thanks

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Thanks for your reply and numbers @Aaron Montague

    I'm looking hard at 90k

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    @Henry R.

    At $92k, I think you made your $200/door/month.

    I was calculated at 2070/month in total rent. At $2300, it's a game changer.

    This is how I see your deal:

    Mortgage Rate 5.00%

    Length of Mortgage in years 30

    Monthly Mortgage payment $370.41

    Taxes $383.33

    Sewer and Water $-

    Trash $-

    Heat/Utilities $-

    HOA $-

    Cap Ex and Ops $200.00 (I lived in Troy for 7 years, I upped this amount a bit. People REALLY like to beat places up in that part of the country)

    Insurance $58.33

    Mgmt Fee $230.00

    Vacancy $230.00

    Total Expenses $1,498.32

    Total Revenue $2,300.00

    Cashflow/month $801.68 (@Brandon Turner 's dream number!!)

    Cashflow/year $9,620.12

    Cash on Cash Return 33.75%

  • Investor · Nagano, Nagano · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    Ditto to Aaron suggestion... go buy this place at $92,000 and get it while you can! Good luck @Henry R. !

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Aaron Montague and @Walter Ichikawa-Doyle!

    I made my 3rd offer today at 90k, keep in mind the debt service also which is about $4114 per year so totals a are close to 19k minus 27.6k for gross income. Thanks for the help it's like approx $150 per door after all expenses, no PM at this point. Net income is around 8600 per year.

    expenses also inculdes heat paid by the owner which is $2300 per year.Has a new boiler. I got the bills!

    Thanks everyone, waitng on the agent.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Nice @Henry R. - yeah all signs point to a good deal so far. Let's see what happens!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    Ah, paying heat. The bane of all landlords.

    I highly, HIGHLY recommend you take the thermostats out of the individual apartments. That $2300 heating bill... I'm skeptical. That seems really low for that area of the country in a house that old.

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    @Aaron Montague they told me the heating cost was $1975 per year, and I thought that was low, so I got the real bill from the utility company and it is 2300 per year.

    Thanks again

  • Multi-family Investor · Southern, CA · Member since 2012 · 56 posts · 12 votes
    12y
    My numbers came out to $92-97K on a 10 CAP. Looks like you're on track. Is there any upside?
  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    @Henry R.

    Grab several cans of spray foam and a quick guide on "Sealing your home" online. For $20 in foam, you can probably knock another $100+/year off that heating bill.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 54 votes
    12y

    I'm new to this website and forums and have been picking my way through different interesting looking threads. This one struck my fancy and I absolutely love the teamwork on display here!

    @Henry R. Thank you for posting the question and infos! Best of luck on your deal!

    @Aaron Montague @Brandon Turner @Swat Khan @Bill Jacobsen @Walter Ichikawa-Doyle Thank you for the feedback and tips! You guys rock! Can't wait to grow up and be like you! :)

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    @George Carnicle Welcome to BP! Great site, best wishes to you also and thanks!

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    @Swat Khan Yes thanks I believe there is lots of upside, good price positive cashflow, etc. Just have to see if my offer is accepted and go from there.

  • Wilton, NY · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Henry R. Good luck! I'm a native of Troy and worked in Schenectady for a few years @ GE on 890. There are some real diamonds in the rough there for housing. A lot of good families in bad neighborhoods. All the best!

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Saratoga County, NY · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    @Matthew Edmond Thanks for the well wishes, this property is in the

    Bellevue area it's a nice working class neighborhood, I'm not far from GE.

    Never been to N Carolina hope to get down there soon. I love the warm weather!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Henry,

    I have a different opinion. The deal is not good enough even at $92K. Here are 3 reasons why:

    1. When you include property management (10%) and replacement reserves (5%), the CCR is only a tad below 9%. I always include PM in my calculation even if I intend to manage the property myself. If the property does not cashflow enough to pay for a PM, I don't buy the property. Also, I always include reserves because things break down over time. You need to be able to replace the different components of the property that depreciate over time.
    Below is the screenshot of the spreadsheet:

    2. The miscellaneous expense of $4739 scares me. That's way too much. It indicates the building has a lot of maintenance issues. And they might under-declare those maintenance issues at the year that they're selling the building. If your miscellaneous expenses are similar to the above next year, the building's performance is mediocre. What if things are really worse than that? The building is 100 years old. I owned a 100-year old building once and it was my worst deal ever...to many things break down and they are more expensive to replace.

    3. The water boiler - yeah, that's a money pit. With gas prices going up, that figure will probably be higher next year.

    In addition to the numbers, does the building have a flat roof or pitched? If the former, plus the three factors above...I will run in the opposite direction.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.