Drop ceilings in rental properties ( what are they hiding)

Drop ceilings in rental properties ( what are they hiding)

Member since 2024 · 16 posts · 9 votes

I noticed many of the multi-family properties for sale in my area have drop ceilings. These are older homes as are most of the homes in the area, over 50 years old". Is a drop ceiling much cheaper than covering a bad ceiling with 1/4' drywall? obviously cheaper than stripping it down to the studs and re-rocking, but I am wondering if there are other issues I should be wary of? would love some input from someone who has been down this road.

0Reply
109 views

Most Popular Reply

Payton HaightBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 86 votes
1y

Hi Albert, I like drop ceilings (when I am looking at purchasing a property) because I can see what is going on behind them. I would imagine original plaster ceilings were probably damaged at some point and it is relatively easy to install a drop ceiling to cover them and/or the owner wanted to keep 'access' to some areas. I had a drop ceiling in one of my 1920's duplexes. The previous owner had installed the drop ceiling themself. We did not have any issues drywalling it. You will have to assess the 'why' the best you can.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Payton HaightBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 86 votes
    1y

    Hi Albert, I like drop ceilings (when I am looking at purchasing a property) because I can see what is going on behind them. I would imagine original plaster ceilings were probably damaged at some point and it is relatively easy to install a drop ceiling to cover them and/or the owner wanted to keep 'access' to some areas. I had a drop ceiling in one of my 1920's duplexes. The previous owner had installed the drop ceiling themself. We did not have any issues drywalling it. You will have to assess the 'why' the best you can.

  • Member since 2024 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Thanks for your thoughts. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Payton grave great insight. Drop ceilings are a simpler fix then fixing drywall or plaster. Older properties have the awful plaster which is very hard to repair without gutting and replacing. Drop ceilings aren't pleasing to the eye but are the cost effective way to go. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    Personally I dislike the look of the drop ceilings, and don't believe that It will attract the type of renter that I would like to have in the unit.

    I know in some areas, there are a lot of these drop ceilings in older homes. 

    I have never bought anything with a drop ceiling in it, but if I did I would factor into the price having the ceiling properly sealed up with wallboard, or having a Plaster repair service come in and replaster over the problem areas.

    One thing I think about when I see the drop ceiling is whoever did that was cutting corners to save a buck.

    It makes me wonder where else the corners were cut to save a buck that I'm not noticing immediately, and should that work have been done to a little bit higher standard.

     Good Luck!

  • Member since 2023 · 158 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    Drop ceilings are cost-effective and good for access in older properties, but check for moisture issues, mold, or sagging tiles—these often hide bigger problems. Also, confirm the ceiling height meets code; some drop ceilings lower it too much. Tenants may not mind, but if you’re selling later, drywall might boost appeal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.