Comprehensive Excel/Google Sheet Spreadsheet for Deal Analizer

Comprehensive Excel/Google Sheet Spreadsheet for Deal Analizer

Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 4 votes

Hello everyone! I am new, just wondering what you guys use as calculator to analyze deal in spreadsheets? I was getting a few from google and other related real estate forms to build my own super comprehensive deal analyzer. Any suggestions or what you use to analyze your deals (Mainly rental especially multifamily but I was building my own spreadsheet from others to get inspired by designs and possible missed/incorrect data) I have found https://www.etsy.com/listing/1543461345/get-full-package-cas... recommended by reddit. Not sure what its your opinion.

1Reply
624 views

Most Popular Reply

Diego AlvaradoBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 139 votes
1y

Hi @Steven Zhai, I will recommend to look at BP, and then all other online and create your own.

There are many tools and spreadsheets out there, but those don't count your priorities. 

In my years analyzing deals, I have customized and created my own. Every time that I have a new project, the template is customized accordingly to what I learn during the time in the project.

When you mention a deal, it is also important to understand what is the end goal of that, are you looking for rental, fix and flip, STR, MTR, every one of these deals have their own tab in my spreadsheet because the economic are different.

But please don't get overwhelm, choose one and learn that one first then move to the next one.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Steven Zhai:

    Hello everyone! I am new, just wondering what you guys use as calculator to analyze deal in spreadsheets? I was getting a few from google and other related real estate forms to build my own super comprehensive deal analyzer. Any suggestions or what you use to analyze your deals (Mainly rental especially multifamily but I was building my own spreadsheet from others to get inspired by designs and possible missed/incorrect data) I have found https://www.etsy.com/listing/1543461345/get-full-package-cas... recommended by reddit. Not sure what its your opinion.


     check out the files here on BP, there are tons of tools and calculators. At the end of the day, a deal analyzer is only as good as the data that goes into it, so getting experience and talking with others about true cost of ownership is important. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Steven Zhai:

    Hello everyone! I am new, just wondering what you guys use as calculator to analyze deal in spreadsheets? I was getting a few from google and other related real estate forms to build my own super comprehensive deal analyzer. Any suggestions or what you use to analyze your deals (Mainly rental especially multifamily but I was building my own spreadsheet from others to get inspired by designs and possible missed/incorrect data) I have found https://www.etsy.com/listing/1543461345/get-full-package-cas... recommended by reddit. Not sure what its your opinion.

    Hey @Steven Zhai, welcome to the BP Forum! What type of properties are you seeking, SFR, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? What is your price range/down payment amount? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"? Are you looking for properties in your local market or somewhere else?

  • Diego AlvaradoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 139 votes
    1y

    Hi @Steven Zhai, I will recommend to look at BP, and then all other online and create your own.

    There are many tools and spreadsheets out there, but those don't count your priorities. 

    In my years analyzing deals, I have customized and created my own. Every time that I have a new project, the template is customized accordingly to what I learn during the time in the project.

    When you mention a deal, it is also important to understand what is the end goal of that, are you looking for rental, fix and flip, STR, MTR, every one of these deals have their own tab in my spreadsheet because the economic are different.

    But please don't get overwhelm, choose one and learn that one first then move to the next one.

  • Investor · Ohio & Fort Lauderdale · Member since 2021 · 75 posts · 50 votes
    1y

    @Steven Zhai I'd say build your own and don't over think it! Unless you're looking at massive $50MM+ deals there's no real need for a 25 page analysis calculator IMO. The best calculator is one you'll use frequency and can understand! If it generates numbers that you can't explain to a potential investor it's not super useful. I slowly built out a solid excel calculator for 1-50 unit multifamily, I can send it over if you like. Good luck and cheers!

  • NY · Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    1y

    Quite the typo from the OP!

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    I ran into the same issue trying to organize my deal analysis cleanly in one sheet. What helped me was checking out an Excel blog that broke down formulas and layout tips for rental property analysis. It made it way easier to update data and tweak numbers on the fly without messing up the whole spreadsheet. You might find some cool ideas there to improve your sheet.

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    I ran into the same issue trying to organize my deal analysis cleanly in one sheet. What helped me was checking out an Excel blog that broke down formulas and layout tips for rental property analysis. It made it way easier to update data and tweak numbers on the fly without messing up the whole spreadsheet. You might find some cool ideas there to improve your sheet.

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    When I see the word "Comprehensive" I automatically think unnecessarily complexed. I find the more inputs added to the deal diligence spreadsheets, the more opportunities an investor is provided to rationalize making a bad investment. Simple is better. Not only does it keep focus on the metrics that truly matter (which can be calculated with minimal inputs),but also affords the investor the ability to provide the pertinent project information in a clear and concise manner to prospective lenders. Lenders don't want complex; they want simple and easy to understand. The belief a lender will be impressed by a complexed spreadsheet is a fallacy. 

    • Developer · Member since 2024 · 34 posts · 5 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      When I see the word "Comprehensive" I automatically think unnecessarily complexed. I find the more inputs added to the deal diligence spreadsheets, the more opportunities an investor is provided to rationalize making a bad investment. Simple is better. Not only does it keep focus on the metrics that truly matter (which can be calculated with minimal inputs),but also affords the investor the ability to provide the pertinent project information in a clear and concise manner to prospective lenders. Lenders don't want complex; they want simple and easy to understand. The belief a lender will be impressed by a complexed spreadsheet is a fallacy. 


       What do you use?

  • Developer · Member since 2024 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9mo

    Did you end up buying it?  Id be willing to share the cost with you if so?  Im looking for my own template. 

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Garry Miller:

      Did you end up buying it?  Id be willing to share the cost with you if so?  Im looking for my own template. 

      @Garry Miller I suggest you also check out the wide array of excel models at Adventures in CRE.

    • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 4 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Garry Miller:

      Did you end up buying it?  Id be willing to share the cost with you if so?  Im looking for my own template. 

      Oh yes, I did buy a few templates and some for free on other websites, I have found useful spreadsheets in different "style" for different needs. No need to share cost. I can share it to you if you still need it for free. 

    • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 4 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Garry Miller:

      Did you end up buying it?  Id be willing to share the cost with you if so?  Im looking for my own template. 

      @Garry Miller I suggest you also check out the wide array of excel models at Adventures in CRE.


      And thanks for sharing. I checked the website, I will explore it further once time allows it. @Garry Miller, you may also find some options here if you want to. I have my personal built spreadsheet but I plan to merge using AI or something to be more complete and better formatted. Sorry for the late response, I haven't started my RE journey yet but wish everyone the best luck for your financial goals and thanks again for sharing

    • Developer · Member since 2024 · 34 posts · 5 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Steven Zhai:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Garry Miller:

      Did you end up buying it?  Id be willing to share the cost with you if so?  Im looking for my own template. 

      @Garry Miller I suggest you also check out the wide array of excel models at Adventures in CRE.


      And thanks for sharing. I checked the website, I will explore it further once time allows it. @Garry Miller, you may also find some options here if you want to. I have my personal built spreadsheet but I plan to merge using AI or something to be more complete and better formatted. Sorry for the late response, I haven't started my RE journey yet but wish everyone the best luck for your financial goals and thanks again for sharing

       Thanks @Steven Zhai I would appreciate a copy of this Workbook, I sent you a DM as well.  

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    I use an Excel spreadsheet, but I only require a single tab to demonstrate to both my lender and myself that a project has merit and supports the loan terms I'm seeking. In certain circumstances, I'll prepare additional tabs, but they aren't necessary to justify the acquisition or to show a lender the project is financeable. That's generally reserved for situations where I am bringing in capital partners and need to frame certain data or with more complexed ground up projects that are phased or have other more complicated structures. For anyone buying SFR's and using more than one spreadsheet tab they are wasting their time. There's a common misconception that more inputs and complexity impress lenders. It doesn't.

  • Member since 2025 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9mo

    Google Sheets works great if you keep it simple and transparent.

    For distressed properties, especially, I like separating:

    - Acquisition risk

    - Rehab uncertainty

    - Exit spread

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.