I did a 1031 into a duplex to grow my portfolio

I did a 1031 into a duplex to grow my portfolio

Investor Friendly Agent · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 37 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $225,000
Cash invested: $70,000

Updated beautiful brick bungalow duplex in Milwaukee's sunset heights. Updated kitchens and baths and a fully finished basement with an additional half bath. 3 car garage and fenced back yard. Section 8 tenant in one unit, getting full market value after installing security doors, cameras and ring door bells and fixing some minor plumbing and electrical. Appraised at $270,000. I did a 1031 from my last single family's sale to get into this 2 fam.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

My son wanted to move out and I was already looking to upgrade to 2 doors. I saw the pics and we went to check it out the same night.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

It was on the MLS. It went live the night before Thanksgiving, so the market was quiet. I wrote an offer quickly and snagged it.

How did you finance this deal?

I used a DSCR loan and $70K from selling my last single familly rental (1031'd the profits)

How did you add value to the deal?

I added 3 security doors and a security camera system including ring cameras. I added exterior lighting and changed all the locks on the building. Corrected some minor plumbing and electrical, added a radon mitigation system.

What was the outcome?

Top of market rents in this rougher area.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

People will pay more for nicer spaces with better finishes and security is important.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I am an agent, so I represented myself.

1Reply
84 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    Nice work!

  • J CastroBusiness Member
    Lender · Florida · Member since 2025 · 697 posts · 252 votes
    5mo

    Nice execution @Tiffany Drahonovsky — this is exactly how you trade up using a 1031 and increase door count without taking a tax hit.

    A few things you did really well from an investor/lender perspective:

    • Timing the acquisition (Thanksgiving window) — that’s when deals slip through and competition drops.
    • Forcing appreciation quickly — going from $225K purchase to $270K appraisal with relatively light improvements is a strong value-add play.
    • Security upgrades — underrated move, especially in tougher areas. You didn’t just improve the property—you improved tenant quality + rentability, which is what drives real performance.

    Also, getting top-of-market rents in a rougher pocket is where the real win is. A lot of investors avoid those areas, but as you showed, if the product stands out, tenants will pay for it.

    From a financing standpoint, this is the kind of deal that positions you well for:

    • Future cash-out refinance (once stabilized seasoning is there)
    • Portfolio scaling using DSCR
    • Leveraging that added equity into your next acquisition

    You didn’t just buy a duplex—you upgraded your income stream and equity position at the same time.

    Curious—are you planning to hold long-term, or looking to rinse and repeat into a 4-unit or larger next?

    JCREIG Capital Funding
  • New Castle, PA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    Congratulations and great work! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.