What Makes a Deal Worth Pursuing?

What Makes a Deal Worth Pursuing?

Siahna ImBusiness Member
Lender · Lakewood, WA · Member since 2021 · 63 posts · 27 votes

When you’re analyzing a potential investment, what makes you say “this one is worth pursuing”?


Is it the purchase price, projected ARV, rehab budget, location, or the exit strategy?


There are a lot of moving pieces in a deal, so I’m curious what experienced investors prioritize first.


What’s your biggest deal-check before moving forward?

Pacific Equity & Loan.4.684 Reviews
0Reply
156 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Alabama | SFR Operations Nationwide · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
1d

My first check is whether I can write the full scope with confidence after one walk. If I can't, the rehab number is a guess, and every other number in the deal depends on it.

What makes me pass fastest: foundation movement, active water intrusion, sewer line questions I can't answer without a scope camera, or an electrical panel I don't trust. Any one of those and the budget has no ceiling until it's investigated.

If the big systems are known and the scope is mostly cosmetic plus a roof or HVAC, I can price it tight and the deal comes down to basis and exit. If I'm writing "TBD" on a line item, I either get the inspection before committing or I walk.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 312 posts · 105 votes
    1d

    @Siahna Im The biggest deal-check is whether the investment still works under conservative assumptions. Purchase price matters, but only in relation to realistic income or ARV, the full rehab scope, carrying and transaction costs, financing, and the exit strategy.
    From our perspective in the Puget Sound region, the purchase basis and execution plan deserve particular attention. Higher acquisition costs, permitting timelines, labor and material expenses, and significant differences between nearby submarkets can quickly compress the margin. Strong demand may support long-term value, but it should not be used to justify optimistic rents, resale prices, or renovation timelines.
    A property is worth pursuing when the basis provides enough room for mistakes, the assumptions are supported by local market evidence, and there is more than one workable exit. Strong deals do not require everything to go perfectly.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Alabama | SFR Operations Nationwide · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1d

    My first check is whether I can write the full scope with confidence after one walk. If I can't, the rehab number is a guess, and every other number in the deal depends on it.

    What makes me pass fastest: foundation movement, active water intrusion, sewer line questions I can't answer without a scope camera, or an electrical panel I don't trust. Any one of those and the budget has no ceiling until it's investigated.

    If the big systems are known and the scope is mostly cosmetic plus a roof or HVAC, I can price it tight and the deal comes down to basis and exit. If I'm writing "TBD" on a line item, I either get the inspection before committing or I walk.

    • Siahna ImBusiness Member
      OP
      Lender · Lakewood, WA · Member since 2021 · 63 posts · 27 votes
      1d

      That’s a solid way to look at it. If you can’t confidently define the scope after the initial walk, it’s hard to trust the rehab number and that uncertainty can affect the entire deal.

      I also agree that the major systems deserve attention before getting too far into the numbers. Knowing what you’re dealing with upfront makes it much easier to determine whether the deal actually works or if the unknowns are too costly to justify.

      Pacific Equity & Loan.4.684 Reviews
    • Real Estate Consultant · Alabama | SFR Operations Nationwide · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
      1d

      Exactly. The walk sets the confidence level on the number. If I can't scope it after the first walk, that tells me something too, and I either price the unknowns hard or pass. On the lending side, what's the first thing that makes you nervous about a borrower's rehab budget?

  • Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    4h

    For flips, I work backwards from the exit: ARV first (from 3 solid sold comps, not list prices), then rehab line by line, then MAO = ARV × 70% − rehab. If the asking price is anywhere near MAO, it's worth pursuing. If it's 20%+ over, it's usually a pass unless the seller is motivated. Location and exit strategy decide whether the ARV is believable, and the math decides the offer. If you want to sanity-check numbers quickly, I put a free MAO calculator at getdealarchitect.com.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.