Boring is sexy

Boring is sexy

Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes

Inspired by recent podcast. I want to fuel it by one of the example of my own to prove again that boring is real sexy in real estate!

This is a typical deal in Houston Texas back in the 2011-2012. Single family home 1100 Square Feet 3/2/2 - 2006 built for sale by seller on the MLS - need no repair for $79000. I simply put down 20% as the down payment with a 30 years mortgage to close the deal

I spent a weekend to clean it up, lease it out, and multiple application came in within the 1st week on market.

 Principle and Interest is only at $324.24. tax and insurance is at $316.49 (yes i do fight my property tax every single year) and rent is at 1150 . Anyone can do the math. This is one of those deal that i don't even have to pull out my calculator to see how much is the return before i buy.

Unlike what you see on the TV show where they they chew each other head off at the court house to buy property, or have a team of 20 people show up to gut down the crappy house and put in fancy stuff. I send in a simple real estate contract to secure the deal, drag my gf out of her bed, and we showed up at the property after closing with a broom and the trash can

Fancy is sexy! Boring is sexier!

What about you? I would love to hear about your boring deal! please post it in the reply! 

1Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2014 · 96 posts · 13 votes
12y

@Huy N. congrats!  I'm a newbie looking to do his first deal, but this is inspiring.  I hope to post about my boring and sexy deal soon.  Cheers!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 266 posts · 128 votes
    12y

    Sexy indeed!  That's a great deal!!!

    I think you bring up a good point.  You can get rick quicker with off-the-wall, high-risk, creative deals - but those are also high-risk.  Personally, I'll take those boring sexy deals all-day long.

    Example?

    Smaller place in a good area in Charlotte.  ~1600 sqr ft on nearly 1/4 acre.  3/2.5., built in 2010.  Paid 97,000 but is move-in ready.  Rents for 1100 and rented within a week of closing.  Solid single.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    12y

    Simple 4/2 in Florida that I just finished up minor rehab. I found it on MLS on a Friday afternoon for $48k, had a signed contract Monday morning, closing 10 days after my offer. It was such a great find that before closing happened I was offered $75k as it sat. It was a probate deal that cost me $325 total closing, and $4500 to get it ready to rent. New tenant moving in for $950/month tomorrow. Not a stellar deal, but a real winner that just fell in my lap with virtually no effort required. My realtor said that it is now worth about $100k. So I will do a 50% LTV cash out refi when eligible and have no money tied up in it and still cash flow over $200/month. Boring deal, yes. Sexy return for the effort, you bet!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    12y

    @Jeremiah B. and @Walt Payne 

    Main these deals sound great! Congratulation

  • Katy, TX · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 37 votes
    12y
     @Huy Nguyen:

    Do you have any before pictures?
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    12y

    Hi @David C. ,

    unfortunately (and fortunately) I don't have any before pictures because the before look exactly the same as the after. Like i said. I just show up with a broom with my gf and we just sweeped up the place and take pictures

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2014 · 96 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Huy N. congrats!  I'm a newbie looking to do his first deal, but this is inspiring.  I hope to post about my boring and sexy deal soon.  Cheers!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.