Tracking my first FLIP! Pics & Numbers included..

Tracking my first FLIP! Pics & Numbers included..

Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes

Hello.  I'm Jared, a newer real estate investor in the Akron/Cleveland area.  I work full time as an attorney & live in Northwest Akron. I had always known an awesome contractor, so I figured I would use him to do my first remodel.

Six months after joining BP & researching the whole rehab & remodel game, I found a really good deal.  I had already done extensive research on the comps in my market, so I knew instantly that this was a good price.  I feel bad that I haven't been active on the forums during the rehab, so this post should make up for my lack of activity.  Here is the story of my first flip along with the numbers.  

I found this house the weekend before thanksgiving 2013. Originally listed at 153,000, I noticed a recent price drop to 128,000. The comps in this area were great. My research confirmed I could likely sell for 210-240. My contractor gave me an estimate at around 45k to remodel. Factoring in 4k for landscaping (irrigation issues) and an additional 10% I was probably looking at 50-60k spent on remodel. I spoke with another friend who invests in columbus. We agreed to JV w cash & putting both our names on the title. This was a one owner home built in 1966 in a nice area in Northwest Akron. I negotiated down to 119,500. Conventional mtg, 20% down, piti $1007. Closed on Jan 13, 2014. As you can see, not many updates had been done!

Scope of Rehab- New roof, 11 new windows + sliding glass door, gut & remodel kitchen & 2.5 baths, total landscape job- half acre, paint the entire interior & exterior, knock out the dining room wall (see above, left wall), refinish hardwood (I ripped up the carpet after closing and the entire house had original oak hardwood in it.  I had no idea when I bought the place), and new electric- box & installing more lighting.   (BP, my contractor, & the book FLIP helped me figure this out)

Here are some pics from during the rehab.  I should have taken more.. whatever.  

landscaping, new windows

living room, without blue carpet

April- kitchen & dining room w dividing wall removed 

May- Kitchen drywalled, taped, electric installed

new roof $3700, Exterior paint $2300, new house... priceless ;)

New kitchen- (Appliances & warranties- $2900 Home depot)

Rehab Costs $$$- I was very satisfied with the results. The house looks great, and we stayed on budget. Labor & materials- 54k, acquisition & holding costs (including 22k down payment)- 30k. Utilities- $1200. Overall expenses including mortgage I am at about $181k on expenses. I listed the house last week FSBO for 239k. Three agents have comped the property for me. All say the same thing.. value at 215-230. We chose to list the property before the rehab was complete, so I will post some pics of the bathrooms next week when finished.

Time- basically, we were delayed alot because of the winter, and my inexperience.  Ideally, this project should have taken less than 3 months.  

Buyers- right now we have one family interested, and I told them I would much rather sell to them for cheaper than list with an agent.  I'll probably have to use an agent soon if I can't sell it.  I tell all the agents I would work with them on a standard 3/2 split if they brought me a buyer.  I would say 1 out of 5 follows up and actually pitches me something.  These buyers  should be preapproved soon.  I know they like the house.  So, I will use this post as a forum for updating you guys on my journey to closing.  If you would like to take a look at the listing, just google 435 Schocalog Akron, OH.  (I know my pictures aren't great)

Whew.. there goes my first 'legit' post on my first project.  Just like to say I owe a huge chunk of my success to BP & the BP community.  I'll try to be more active from now on.  Any feedback & questions are much appreciated.  Thanks again BP...

7Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
12y

As to listing for sale, I suggest two approaches to consider.  

If you insist on FSBO, then you have to do a "friends and family" marketing strategy; this approach puts a marketing piece on all residences for a radius of several blocks, trying to appeal to somebody with a friend or family member that is looking to live nearby.

The second approach is to locate a flat fee listing agent, list on MLS giving the buyer's agent the full 3% commission (saving you 2% or 3% minus flat listing fee). You will get the MLS exposure (if you don't offer commission you won't get many agents interested in showing it to their clients) to help find buyers.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    dig the kitchen

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Jared Lichtin  thanks for the post.  I am working on my first real rehab for resale.  I am doing the work myself with the help of my handyman.  It will take longer but I wanted to get a good feel for the time and work a contractor does.  Due to working on roofs and other projects my project might get finished until next spring.  I love that kitchen.  I am looking at putting a large stainless steel vent over the stove for mine.  Not very practical, but I hope it it gives it some snap.  I also need to work on the old fireplace and set it up for a nice gas insert.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 263 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    Great post Jerry, love the detail and photos. Am sure this will turn out well for you and number 2 will most likely be a lot easier :-)

    Colin. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    @Jared Lichtin  This looks great Jared! What's the flooring in the kitchen? I can't quite tell.

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    Look great!  Keep it up!

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    @Jared Lichtin 

    Great lighting, love kitchen sink window especially into that yard.

    Also with the nice original oak. Awesome.

  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes
    12y

    Thanks all.. much appreciated.. @Jaclyn B. , the flooring is called premium porcelain.  Its available at home depot, about 33$ per pack, 8 or 12 in a pack, i forget..they are 12x24 tiles, color- BLANCO.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Nice looking kitchen, but why does the photo not follow the layout that is in the sketch above it?  The refrigerator has been moved from one wall to another ...  I'm assuming that original sketch's layout had some issues that aren't readily apparent (and that seems to happen quite frequently).

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    As to listing for sale, I suggest two approaches to consider.  

    If you insist on FSBO, then you have to do a "friends and family" marketing strategy; this approach puts a marketing piece on all residences for a radius of several blocks, trying to appeal to somebody with a friend or family member that is looking to live nearby.

    The second approach is to locate a flat fee listing agent, list on MLS giving the buyer's agent the full 3% commission (saving you 2% or 3% minus flat listing fee). You will get the MLS exposure (if you don't offer commission you won't get many agents interested in showing it to their clients) to help find buyers.

  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes
    12y

    I reduced the price to 229k and am offering a $1,500 realtor bonus.  I am holding an open house Sunday 12-2pm if anyone in the Akron/Canton/Cleveland area is  interested in coming.  It should be staged by then.  Address is 435 Schocalog Akron 44320.  Hit me up if you have any questions, I wouldn't mind showing you around and going over my costs.  

    Jared

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Jared Lichtin Do you have it listed in MLS? You can usually find a flat fee real estate company who will input the listing for a few hundred dollars. Not having it in MLS is basically keeping your house a secret.

    Second, do you have some good photos of the home? It would be worth spending $200 to pay a photographer to take pictures for you. Don't go through all the trouble of rehabbing the home into a gem just to market it terribly. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    12y

    I second the pro photos...with a 45k reno budget, this should be included.

    Kitchen looks great, nice work.

  • Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Jared Lichtin You did a great job on the house, I really like the kitchen, approximately how much did you spend in the kitchen renovations?

  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes
    12y

    The cabinets were $6300 the granite was 3600 and with carpenters and blowing out that wall it was probably about 14,000

  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes
    12y

    Also, @Jorge S. @Dawn Brenengen @Sam B. , i totally realize we dropped the ball on terrible pictures.  I just got so busy at work I never got a chance to get back to the property.  We are staging this weekend and I'll update with some better photos.  Might be hiring a realtor next week.  Thanks for the advice!

  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes
    12y

    i mean, they arent terrible, but i took them w my iphone, lol

  • Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Jared Lichtin  That kitchen is probably going to be what sells the house so overall that was probably the best investment

  • Investor · Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Great work!  I love the colors.  

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Jared,

    Congratulations on your first flip!  

    I'm trying to find my first flip here in the CLE area (currently east side in all of the "heights"), but I've got to say it's been a bit frustrating. Curious how you found this property, was it on the MLS or was it a FSBO and you market to motivated sellers?

    I'm looking forward to hearing about the final sale...

    Vic

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jared Lichtin Did you sell this place? Update?

  • Property Manager · Renton, WA · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    @Jared Lichtin

     that looks amazing, love the kitchen.... where did you get those cabinets?

  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes
    11y

    @Vic Delgado

    Yes, this technically was my first flip.. I had done one other before this but it wasn't as extensive.  I almost forgot I posted about this!  I found it on the mls after a steep price drop, motivated sellers, probate situation.  I ended up only netting about 12,000 but it was a great learning experience and I did alot better on my next few.  I am actually also podcasting about my flipping now!  Check it out below in my signature! (www.FlipJL.com)
    @Vic Delgado

    Thanks @Jorge S.! Sorry it took so long to respond!

  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes
    11y

    @Vic Delgado.. See above... sorry the tag didnt work

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 17 votes
    11y

    Curious Jared, you say in the Cleveland area, but under your name it says Houston.  I am on the south side of Houston (Deer Park area) and was just curious if you are doing long distance flips?

  • Investor · Lake, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 28 votes
    11y

    Looks good, great job. However, I would always recommend you list it in MLS with at least 3% to anyone that brings you a buyer. I have a guy that will list my property in MLS for about $300 flat. Buyers agent gets 3%. Tremendous exposure and buyers use their own realtor, etc. If I find a buyer on my own, no commission paid. Probably can "Google" flat fee MLS listing agent in your area. Good luck!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.