Rich Dad's Cashflow game with my 8 year old son

Rich Dad's Cashflow game with my 8 year old son

Springfield, MO · Member since 2014 · 252 posts · 117 votes

Over the course of the last several months I've been playing Rich Dad, Poor Dad's Cashflow game with my 8 year old son.  He loved playing Monopoly and I do to but I so much more enjoy Cashflow because of the thought process you have to go through in analyzing deals and working with financial statements.  My wife would never play with me so I was excited when he loved to play.

If you've never played the game before let me tell you that you should start immediately, especially if you are new to RE investing.  The premise of the game is that you purchase deals that create passive income.  Once your passive income exceeds your monthly expenses then you have exited the rat race and are now on the fast track.  Then you must do a couple other things to ultimately win the game.  It is fun and educational.

Now for the best part

Tonight as we got done playing he asked, "Are you and Mom still in the rat race?"  I have been using the game to teach the basics but he made the connection to real life on his own.  I got to answer honestly that we are still in the rat race but I have a plan for how we will get out in the future by purchasing more RE. 

There's nothing that makes a Dad more proud than when what I'm hoping to teach my kids about life actually sticks :)

I'd love to hear your stories of success with kids.  Share them and help us all to teach our kids better.

1Reply
30 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Doug McLeodPro Member
    Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 205 votes
    11y

    My kids enjoy playing Cash Flow, too.  My mom bought it for me after we both read Rich Dad, Poor Dad a few years ago.  My youngest gets into it the most and is the most interested in how our real-life rental properties are coming along to get me out of the rat race.

  • Real Estate Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2008 · 66 posts · 15 votes
    11y

    My son just turned 8, I think I'm gonna take a crack at playing the game with him. I thought he was too young, but it might stick. Will probably need a few ways to speed up the game for him.

  • Springfield, MO · Member since 2014 · 252 posts · 117 votes
    11y

    @Doug McLeod That's awesome.  I have a 6 year old and based on her personality I'm not thinking she'll be much into it…totally different personality.

    @Ruben Aguirre Yeah give it a go and see what they think of it.  Hope he enjoys it.

  • Investor · Las Vegas and Tulsa · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 200 votes
    11y
    I too enjoy playing Cashflow with my son (now 18). At first, we started with the paper statements, which was a pain to write and erase. Then we laminated the paper sheets and used dry erase markers, which sped up the game a bit. Now, we use an app called "Cash Flow Balance Sheet" which is great. This has cut the gametime in half. There is a value to doing the paper statements until you are familiar with them, but then, go for the electronic version. Enjoy! Erik
  • Investor · Pelham, AL · Member since 2014 · 141 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    Great & timely post for me! I just purchased the game to play with my daughter (11) & nephew (14). We haven't had a chance to play it yet, but after reading your post I will include my soon to be 8 year old son. Thanks for sharing!!

  • Springfield, MO · Member since 2014 · 252 posts · 117 votes
    11y

    @Erik Nowacki that's a great idea to laminate the sheets. I didn't even know about the app but right now I'm a big fan of just teaching him how it all works together. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.