Project 3 Done! House hacking with no (net) money down!

Project 3 Done! House hacking with no (net) money down!

Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 78 votes

What a relief!  Have you ever had your expectations exceeded?  Well that just happened on my last project and I have an overwhelming sense of joy from it.  I just completed a live in rehab which I intend to rent our later - and I did it with no (net) money down.  Here are the numbers and how it all went down.

Project Totals

Purchase Price - $78,090

Acquisition Costs - $11,470 (Hand Money, Closing Check, Home Inspection, Appraisal)

Rehab Costs - $39,300 (Materials, Labor, Interest)

Holding Costs - $0 (More on this below)

After Repair Value - $148,000

Original Mortgage - $70,280

Equity - $77,280

Refinance Numbers

Cash Out Refi - $45,000

Home Equity Loan - $14,000

Bottom Line

Total Cash In - $50,770

Total Cash Out - $59,000

Net Out of Pocket - $-8,230

Going Forward

New Mortgage - $118,400 @4.25%, 30 year

Home Equity Loan - $14,000 @5%, 15 year (estimated, not complete yet)

Equity - $15,600

LTV - 90%

Rental Analysis (est.)

Gross Rental Income - $18,000 ($1,500/mo.)

Taxes - $1,500 (Annual)

Maintenance & Repairs - $1,800 (10% of gross rents, annual)  Should be very low as this was a complete rehab.

Prop Mgmt - $1,800 (10% of gross rents, annual)

Vacancy - $900 (5% of gross rents, annual)

Insurance - $500 (Annual)

Utilities - $0 (SFH)

Lawn - $0 (No yard)

NOI - $11,500

Debt Service

     Mortgage P&I - $6,989 ($582/mo.)

     Home Equity Loan - $1,329 ($110/mo.)

Cash Flow - $3,182 (265/mo.)

CCR - Infinite

Self Managing

Cash Flow -$4,945 ($412/mo.)

CCR - Infinite

I purchased this property to owner occupy in May of '14 with cash that I saved up from my J.O.B. I really capitalized on my ability to owner occupy with a low down payment of 10% and the low interest rate that came with it. I bought the property off the MLS for what I felt was only a little bit less than FMV. This was by no means a screaming deal when I purchased it.

I spent a few weekends doing demo work myself (which I enjoy) and getting the design plans all together.  I also did painting, hung cabinets, plumbing in the kitchen,and general b!t#h work.  Other than that I hired out all of the other work, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, tiling, etc.  I estimate that I did about 300 hrs of labor at $15 an hour because I am not particularly skilled in trades.  I also work really slow.  I can't help it - I'm an engineer - we do things slowly.  I didn't total this into the calculations above because as a young investor, we need to work with the resources we have today, so that things we do in the future can become easier.  That's what investing is all about.

I also didn't calculate holding costs into the deal because I was living in the property.  I consider this "rent".  No matter what, we need a place to live so I didn't factor these expenses into the calculations.

I financed the rest of the rehab with whatever resources I could get.  I racked up $25k in 0% interest credit cards, I borrowed $5k from my Dad, I borrowed against my 401(k), I sacrificed eating out and cable TV, I did whatever I needed to get the project done.  I made it happen and you can too!

The most stressful thing about this whole process was the dirt.  Dirt on my clothes, dirt in my dishes, dirt in the shower, dirt on my makeshift furniture.  Dirt EVERYWHERE.  This is by far the most painful thing to deal with on a daily basis.  Things got better as the project progressed, but please don't underestimate this if you plan on doing a live in rehab like I did.

That being said, here are the numbers again if I paid someone for my labor and if I didn't occupy the property during the rehab.

Project Totals

Purchase Price - $78,090

Acquisition Costs - $11,470 (Hand Money, Closing Check, Home Inspection, Appraisal)

Rehab Costs - $43,800 (Materials, Labor, Interest)

Holding Costs - $6,450 (Taxes, Insurance, Utilities, Mortgage Interest, 9 months)

After Repair Value - $148,000

Original Mortgage - $70,280

Equity - $77,280

Bottom Line

Total Cash In - $61,720

Total Cash Out - $59,000

Net Out of Pocket - $2,720

Future plans are to complete a similar project where I don't live in it.  The biggest challenge will be larger upfront down payments, and smaller LTVs on the back end.  It will be paramount to find a screaming good deal for this strategy to work in the future and I'm up for it.  If I can rinse and repeat 8 more times I should have enough cash flow to quit my J.O.B. and focus on real estate full time.  I hope this inspires you to possibly work a similar strategy!

37Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
11y

Looks great! 

When It comes to live in rehab projects there are a few important tricks you need to master for it to become a bearable process. I have grown up in live in rehabs my entire life. I have lived in 15 homes in 20 years. All were extensive renovations. 

Our motto has always been bedroom, bathroom, then hard to get sections of the house.

The first trick is getting your own place in the house. Typically bedrooms dont require much work. As long as you take care of any electrical and plumbing work that may need to cut through the walls you can quickly get that space finished and in good living standards. Put your TV in there(no need for cable, just Apple TV and Netflix) and your good to go. Shut the door, have something to cover the crack underneath and that becomes your dust free, dirt free zone! 

The next trick is the bathroom. Depending on your number of bathrooms pick one that will be quick and easy to renovate but can serve all your purposes(dont get stuck without a shower by starting with a half bath). Bang that job out fast! Basic bathrooms with one or two decently qualified people should only take 3 days, 4 max even its a complete gut job. For more complex bathrooms with lots of tile this can extend for a full week, or even two with only a few hands. 

With that being said the rest of the house is yours to attack. If you need to carry all materials through your living space and kitchen to get into the basement which you are finishing dont do your kitchen and main living space yet. Bang out the basement job, finish it and close the door. No another dust free dirt free zone. 

What kills people in live in projects is they try to do everything at once. Section projects off and make sure you wont be getting a finished space dirty when you move onto the next space. 

Good luck in future endeavors! 

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Arndt 

    I find it somewhat preposterous that I am the first vote on and reply to this epic post.  Bravo kind sir!

  • Real Estate Investor · Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    You have guts!  Thank you for posting this.  What a true bad a$$!

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 146 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Arndt 

    This is what investing is all about. Creativity, hard work, and making the #s work.  

    Good stuff

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 78 votes
    11y

    Here are some before and afters!

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 78 votes
    11y

    Round 2 

  • Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Fantastic Job! Well done.

  • Real Estate Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    It looks amazing!  I don't know if you are married or not but having done two live in remodels with me and my wife I think I have pushed the envelope far enough!  No more for this guy :) Take advantage of it while you can!  Great job on the numbers and the finished project!

  • Rental Property Investor · Voorhees Twp, NJ · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Nice job @Jeff Arndt where is the property located? Very inspiring BTW.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Arndt 

    That's the best way to do it! Build wealth with none of your own money. Proud of ya, man. Don't stop. 

    AY

  • Lender · Granite Bay, CA · Member since 2014 · 456 posts · 454 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Arndt Had such a great time reading this!  This is exactly what the American Dream is all about... working hard, saving money, sacrificing, and then using that capital to buy an investment and grow your investment into something bigger!  I applaud you for sharing the details and probably inspiring many other who will come along and read this!  The real beauty is that you have the ability to do this over and over.  I tell young people all the time, buy a home that needs some work, renovate it over time, sell it or rent it at a profit, and do it again :-)

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Those are good number, having that owner occupied approach makes things so much easier.

  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    This is awesome!!  Thanks for posting!

  • Real Estate Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 90 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Jeff,

    How long until your bank let you refinance? A year after purchasing? 

    Looking to do the same thing nearby actually. 

    Glad to see of your success. 

  • Vista, CA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Great job! I know first hand what you mean about dirt everywhere....and junk everywhere...and no refrigerator,,,the list of "crappiness" can go on and on when you are living in your flipper...But - I think it pays off. Or at least hopefully. We are on the market now with our live in flipper. Value of the home now is almost double what we bought it for. :)

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    This was truly inspiring. Well done! Just shows the lengths someone who is truly motivated will go. 

    You have to do everything possible to make those first few work . Whether you live in it, do the work yourself, get cash from whatever sources you can, or ALL three like Jeff, make the jump and figure it out.

    Thanks for posting this story. 

    I'm impressed by the quality of the work @Jeff Arndt. How much experience with basic renovations did you have? Or did you just learn along the way?

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Great job sir,that's a sacrifice that will pay off big Dividends.

    Thomas

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 110 votes
    11y

    I remember those days...except I was the kid living in a rehab!  I slept on a leather couch for about a year lol.  Luckily I sleep easy :)

    Congrats keep it up.

  • Morristown, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Wow!

    Great job!

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 78 votes
    11y

    Thank you all for the kind words.  This project was really stressful but I'm really glad I completed it!

    A little story about the project I think you may find entertaining...

    In about early June I was still staying at my girlfriends place occasionally to get away from the filth.  Her lease terminated at the end of the month and she was set move in with me July 1st.  We went on vacation that June and I told her that when we got back we would have a functional bathroom and a semi functional kitchen.  Then I got these images from my contractor... 

    The entire back end of the house was built on a slab and the floor joists were all termite damaged.  We had to start from the ground up and build a new sub-floor from scratch.

    Whoops.  She wasn't very happy about that news :-(

    Its ok, we ended up crashing on my friends couch and moved her in a week later - and yes we're still together!  Shocking I know, I wouldn't date me either.

    Further progress.

    The above two pictures are what the place looked like when she finally moved in.  We didn't have a bathroom door for another 2 months after that.

    Moral of the story...

    Did it suck?  You bet.

    Was it worth it?  Yes it was.

    I survived this debacle and still made money but with significant sacrifice. 

    You can too!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    Great job!

    Really good to see this because I'm new to investing too! I'm looking into some short term buy n holds in transitioning areas in Atlanta...brick ranches and split levels.

    @Jeff Arndt there are these dust trap "curtains" you can use to isolate one or two rooms at a time. I don't know the name of them, but they're made of a woven poly material with a heavy duty zipper so you can easily get in and out...

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 78 votes
    11y

    @Michael Hartman 

    The property is on the South Side Slopes of Pittsburgh.

    @Jarred S. 

    My lender had a "seasoning period" of 6 months.  That may change for non-owner occ properties but I don't know.

    @Brian Zoubek 

    Hey Brian this is my second rehab project, my first project was a simple buy and hold.  My father is a carpenter and generally handy so he would answer any questions that I needed.  To be honest my greatest asset is having a REALLY good contractor.  We have a really good working relationship and I'm very thankful for his help.

  • Hazel Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Thank god I'm not the only one seeing dirt!!!  I hear you on that! Blood and sweat, but u appreciate the hard work later!  Great post on doing the work urself. That's how I started out. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    I'm in the middle of a live-in rehab myself. I don't have a lot of extra money, so I'm planning on this being at least a 2 year project. I'm going to add about 400 sq ft to the back of the house as soon as I can afford it. I'm hoping that I can make enough from this to actually be able to do the next one all within a year and make even more money coming out of it. I'm planning on doing as many 1 year turn around live-in rehabs as I can because you can really make a lot of money on those, as long as the market doesn't crash, and because I can use my VA benefits with them (it's nice not having to put any money down), but as soon as I am able to pull money out of my mortgage, I want to start doing flips as well.

    I've been trying to get started with REI for several years, but my biggest struggle has always been trying to find funds. My wife's and my families are all extremely poor (we are, by far, the "richest" people in either family by orders of magnitude, which is very sad) and I'm quite the introvert, so that makes finding money very, very difficult. We were also hit very hard by the recession (I was out of work for almost a year), so having a bankruptcy on my credit report doesn't help much, either.

    But I have found some interesting ideas on this site (I just found it a couple of days ago) and hope that it will help me turn this whole thing around.

    Kudos on your rehab (from the pics it loos like you did a great job).  Onward and upward!!!  :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    11y

    Looks great! 

    When It comes to live in rehab projects there are a few important tricks you need to master for it to become a bearable process. I have grown up in live in rehabs my entire life. I have lived in 15 homes in 20 years. All were extensive renovations. 

    Our motto has always been bedroom, bathroom, then hard to get sections of the house.

    The first trick is getting your own place in the house. Typically bedrooms dont require much work. As long as you take care of any electrical and plumbing work that may need to cut through the walls you can quickly get that space finished and in good living standards. Put your TV in there(no need for cable, just Apple TV and Netflix) and your good to go. Shut the door, have something to cover the crack underneath and that becomes your dust free, dirt free zone! 

    The next trick is the bathroom. Depending on your number of bathrooms pick one that will be quick and easy to renovate but can serve all your purposes(dont get stuck without a shower by starting with a half bath). Bang that job out fast! Basic bathrooms with one or two decently qualified people should only take 3 days, 4 max even its a complete gut job. For more complex bathrooms with lots of tile this can extend for a full week, or even two with only a few hands. 

    With that being said the rest of the house is yours to attack. If you need to carry all materials through your living space and kitchen to get into the basement which you are finishing dont do your kitchen and main living space yet. Bang out the basement job, finish it and close the door. No another dust free dirt free zone. 

    What kills people in live in projects is they try to do everything at once. Section projects off and make sure you wont be getting a finished space dirty when you move onto the next space. 

    Good luck in future endeavors! 

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    This is great......Its very motivational to see another person who did this method. Me and my Business Partner are going to be doing a similar strategy... the only difference is we plan to cover our rehab cost is with a 203k loan. We are acquiring the property with a FHA loan with a 4% interest rate and luckily We have about 6 month rent stored. Your Journey is inspiring and I cant wait to get started.

    Great stuff Man   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.