Project 3 Done! House hacking with no (net) money down!

Project 3 Done! House hacking with no (net) money down!

Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 78 votes

What a relief!  Have you ever had your expectations exceeded?  Well that just happened on my last project and I have an overwhelming sense of joy from it.  I just completed a live in rehab which I intend to rent our later - and I did it with no (net) money down.  Here are the numbers and how it all went down.

Project Totals

Purchase Price - $78,090

Acquisition Costs - $11,470 (Hand Money, Closing Check, Home Inspection, Appraisal)

Rehab Costs - $39,300 (Materials, Labor, Interest)

Holding Costs - $0 (More on this below)

After Repair Value - $148,000

Original Mortgage - $70,280

Equity - $77,280

Refinance Numbers

Cash Out Refi - $45,000

Home Equity Loan - $14,000

Bottom Line

Total Cash In - $50,770

Total Cash Out - $59,000

Net Out of Pocket - $-8,230

Going Forward

New Mortgage - $118,400 @4.25%, 30 year

Home Equity Loan - $14,000 @5%, 15 year (estimated, not complete yet)

Equity - $15,600

LTV - 90%

Rental Analysis (est.)

Gross Rental Income - $18,000 ($1,500/mo.)

Taxes - $1,500 (Annual)

Maintenance & Repairs - $1,800 (10% of gross rents, annual)  Should be very low as this was a complete rehab.

Prop Mgmt - $1,800 (10% of gross rents, annual)

Vacancy - $900 (5% of gross rents, annual)

Insurance - $500 (Annual)

Utilities - $0 (SFH)

Lawn - $0 (No yard)

NOI - $11,500

Debt Service

     Mortgage P&I - $6,989 ($582/mo.)

     Home Equity Loan - $1,329 ($110/mo.)

Cash Flow - $3,182 (265/mo.)

CCR - Infinite

Self Managing

Cash Flow -$4,945 ($412/mo.)

CCR - Infinite

I purchased this property to owner occupy in May of '14 with cash that I saved up from my J.O.B. I really capitalized on my ability to owner occupy with a low down payment of 10% and the low interest rate that came with it. I bought the property off the MLS for what I felt was only a little bit less than FMV. This was by no means a screaming deal when I purchased it.

I spent a few weekends doing demo work myself (which I enjoy) and getting the design plans all together.  I also did painting, hung cabinets, plumbing in the kitchen,and general b!t#h work.  Other than that I hired out all of the other work, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, tiling, etc.  I estimate that I did about 300 hrs of labor at $15 an hour because I am not particularly skilled in trades.  I also work really slow.  I can't help it - I'm an engineer - we do things slowly.  I didn't total this into the calculations above because as a young investor, we need to work with the resources we have today, so that things we do in the future can become easier.  That's what investing is all about.

I also didn't calculate holding costs into the deal because I was living in the property.  I consider this "rent".  No matter what, we need a place to live so I didn't factor these expenses into the calculations.

I financed the rest of the rehab with whatever resources I could get.  I racked up $25k in 0% interest credit cards, I borrowed $5k from my Dad, I borrowed against my 401(k), I sacrificed eating out and cable TV, I did whatever I needed to get the project done.  I made it happen and you can too!

The most stressful thing about this whole process was the dirt.  Dirt on my clothes, dirt in my dishes, dirt in the shower, dirt on my makeshift furniture.  Dirt EVERYWHERE.  This is by far the most painful thing to deal with on a daily basis.  Things got better as the project progressed, but please don't underestimate this if you plan on doing a live in rehab like I did.

That being said, here are the numbers again if I paid someone for my labor and if I didn't occupy the property during the rehab.

Project Totals

Purchase Price - $78,090

Acquisition Costs - $11,470 (Hand Money, Closing Check, Home Inspection, Appraisal)

Rehab Costs - $43,800 (Materials, Labor, Interest)

Holding Costs - $6,450 (Taxes, Insurance, Utilities, Mortgage Interest, 9 months)

After Repair Value - $148,000

Original Mortgage - $70,280

Equity - $77,280

Bottom Line

Total Cash In - $61,720

Total Cash Out - $59,000

Net Out of Pocket - $2,720

Future plans are to complete a similar project where I don't live in it.  The biggest challenge will be larger upfront down payments, and smaller LTVs on the back end.  It will be paramount to find a screaming good deal for this strategy to work in the future and I'm up for it.  If I can rinse and repeat 8 more times I should have enough cash flow to quit my J.O.B. and focus on real estate full time.  I hope this inspires you to possibly work a similar strategy!

37Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
11y

Looks great! 

When It comes to live in rehab projects there are a few important tricks you need to master for it to become a bearable process. I have grown up in live in rehabs my entire life. I have lived in 15 homes in 20 years. All were extensive renovations. 

Our motto has always been bedroom, bathroom, then hard to get sections of the house.

The first trick is getting your own place in the house. Typically bedrooms dont require much work. As long as you take care of any electrical and plumbing work that may need to cut through the walls you can quickly get that space finished and in good living standards. Put your TV in there(no need for cable, just Apple TV and Netflix) and your good to go. Shut the door, have something to cover the crack underneath and that becomes your dust free, dirt free zone! 

The next trick is the bathroom. Depending on your number of bathrooms pick one that will be quick and easy to renovate but can serve all your purposes(dont get stuck without a shower by starting with a half bath). Bang that job out fast! Basic bathrooms with one or two decently qualified people should only take 3 days, 4 max even its a complete gut job. For more complex bathrooms with lots of tile this can extend for a full week, or even two with only a few hands. 

With that being said the rest of the house is yours to attack. If you need to carry all materials through your living space and kitchen to get into the basement which you are finishing dont do your kitchen and main living space yet. Bang out the basement job, finish it and close the door. No another dust free dirt free zone. 

What kills people in live in projects is they try to do everything at once. Section projects off and make sure you wont be getting a finished space dirty when you move onto the next space. 

Good luck in future endeavors! 

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    11y
    Very inspiring story! That is the way I want to do it as well but with a 4yearold grandaughter her parents and my 16yo son i just cant rip and make the mes i want at my leisure! Lol. I did do some tile work in the bathroom ( went without shower for about a week). I demoed about a 3x3 square of old waterdamaged board. It gave me a great lesson on tiling and all the fun that goes with it. Seeing your post is revving me up again!i cant wait till i have an empty house to play with! It really helps to have support...I have a few people call me crazy after I posted pics of my demo. And truly in my opinion it was pretty tame compared to your pics! Baby steps!
  • Freeport, NY · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Great  job. . . . I applaud you.

  • Wholesaler · Owings Mills, MD · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I have often thought about doing this very thing myself.  Congrats!  You are inspiring me to do this!!

  • Architect · Clifton, VA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    My wife and I did a live-in-as-you-go. I told her we'd be done in a year....opps! Our first son was born about the time drywall was hung. We made a great profit but she informed me our next project would not be a live-in.....it was difficult to argue, other than the profit.

  • Property Manager · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Great job Jeff! 

    I've done 3 condos in a similar fashion.  Only one of them was a live in remodel.. and I have to agree it was the most difficult.  The previous owners mistakenly put the labels on the subpanel backwards and I got electrocuted replacing the dishwasher.  Voltmeter anyone?

    That said, it was worth it and paid off big time in the end.  Keep the momentum going!

  • Investor · Greenwell Springs, LA · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Great job, Jeff!  As others have said, this is a great inspiration to those on the fence about taking the leap into an investment requiring renovation.

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Arndt 

    Desire + Determination + Self-Denial = Success!

    Awesome job! Cant say more....

    Henry Ford once said, " Wether you think you can or think you can't; you are probably right"

  • New to Real Estate · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 86 votes
    11y

    Great job, this post is exemplary - narrative, numbers, and pictures. Thanks for posting!

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Arndt Great post and great job! Makes me want to go do one right now! I think I'm going to house hack a duplex first though.

    Also, really well written and financials were easy to understand!! You the man!

  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Outstanding! Well done!

  • Aurora, IL · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the post Jeff.  Inspiring to say the least from a newbie.  I don't doubt anybody can make money in RE but from a newbie standpoint, there's a lot of "real" (not the get rich marketing scheme a lot of the RE guru puts out there) factors to consider before diving head-on on any potential deals which I'm aware there are lots out there.  The route you took is exactly what I had in mind to make the most of anything from a newbie who wants to start even one RE investment given that funding/credit is an issue.  Again, thanks for this inspiring post.

  • Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    This is a great post. Thanks for sharing the details, the numbers, the pictures and the effect on your personal life. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeff Arndt Congrats. This post is great.

  • Dana WhickerPro Member
    Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 557 posts · 374 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Arndt  Great job buddy.  Thanks for sharing.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Nice work, @Jeff Arndt ! This is awesome. I love to hear successful stories of "house hacking." I love it even more when people call it "house hacking." We are changing the real estate lexicon! Whoop whoop!  Thanks for sharing your story and inspiring others! 

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 78 votes
    11y

    I started reading biggerpockets about 5 years ago while still in college.  It was posts just like this that got me motivated to take the risk and get started.  It's my own little way of giving back and I'm very excited that others have enjoyed it!

  • Grapevine, TX · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Thanks for posting, @Jeff Arndt ! Good job! Your post made me excited about my never-ending duplex search again! :)

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeff Arndt Rehab looks great and thanks for posting pictures.  Do you remember where you bought the single bowl kitchen sink with no faucet holes?  I'm looking for one exactly like that to go under a wall mount faucet.

  • Orapa, Central District /Boteti · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Ooops! that great work. I liked it am a young man he in Botswana very interested on properties. I own a company which do construction specializing on home improvement. I want to join the real estate industry. I have plot I don't have money to develop them. Can any good samaritain help me with buck?

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 78 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed I got the sink at IKEA.  I was poking around the site to find a link for you but it may be discontinued :-(

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Arndt:

    @Account Closed I got the sink at IKEA.  I was poking around the site to find a link for you but it may be discontinued :-(

    Thanks for the info.  I've seen the sink at Ikea and pretty sure they are still carrying it,  but have been resisting it because it's not porcelain on metal.  I really like the look of it, though.  And the price!  I'm assuming the white bathroom vanity with drawers is also Ikea?

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    I really like the look of the bathroom and the overall color scheme throughout!  Congrats on the job and look forward to more of your projects with before and afters.  Thanks for posting!

  • Adam SmithPro Member
    Civil Engineer · Firestone, CO · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    Very inspiring!  I am still thinking of how to talk my wife into living in a construction zone!!  The end goal is the motivation!!!

    Great Job!

  • Real Estate Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Great job Jeff 

    we have done 4 houses with only $20k cash to start we had to pay cash for the first one then bought second from a local small bank that was willing to take back mortgage in order to sell there reo we then went back to the same bank and bought another foreclosure from them and a separate property at the same time all these are two family houses so the cash flow is quite good after rehabbed expenses were covered with cash out of pocket.

    we now are finished with all except the 2nd floor where I live and its only taken 3 years to get here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.