Advice for Off-Market Lead

Advice for Off-Market Lead

Steven TawreseyPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Bainbridge Island, WA · Member since 2009 · 97 posts · 70 votes

I used to live in, and still own (albeit for 1 more week), a condo unit just outside of Metro Denver. While I was living there, I noticed a 2 story penthouse apartment that was vacant and in a state of disrepair. It has 3 balconies with amazing views of the city and the mountains. Recently, I contacted the president of our HOA about the unit and he said:

"No one has lived there for the past 10 years. The place is a pig pen inside. Lots of water damage as the place was ignored for so long.

I was looking through some old records last week, and I see that she was suing the HOA in 1995. we've spent a ton of money just trying to get our money. This gal has used all kinds of legal maneuvers to avoid paying us money, including settlements ordered by the court.

Finally last fall, she wrote the HOA a check for $80K which cleared up most of her debt. The place has been close to a sheriff's auction several times. She needs to sell it and asked us to repair the water damage so she could sell it. That work is scheduled."

Zillow has its estimate at $417,000

Tax Assessor says $377,000

Average $/sqft for a downtown condo is $450 which, using $400 since it's not "downtown," would give an ARV of $645,000.

I can't get in the condo, but can see through the patio windows that it needs a full gut and high end rebuild. My initial numbers say around $120K renovation cost (50K kitchen, 10K per bathroom, 10K flooring, 20K water damage etc.) I wouldn't get a true estimate until I could get inside.

So my questions:

1) I used public records to find the owner's address and phone number. The business address is 2 blocks from my home! How would you go about contacting this person? Phone, email, personal visit? 

2) How would you tell them you want to buy it? Would you offer a price first or let them come up with a number to start negotiations?

3) Based on the above numbers and assumptions, how much would you offer? How much would you pay? 70% rule says $331K [($645,000 x .70) - $120)]. $193,000 seems like a a lot of profit from this deal. Sure it would be great, but I would rather get the deal than insult the owner.

4) How would you go about getting a realistic ARV without access to the unit?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

1Reply
30 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steven Tawresey:

    So my questions:

    1) I used public records to find the owner's address and phone number. The business address is 2 blocks from my home! How would you go about contacting this person? Phone, email, personal visit? I'd try the phone first.

    2) How would you tell them you want to buy it? Would you offer a price first or let them come up with a number to start negotiations? I would have all the information on what they owed on the property prior to the call.  If there's a mortgage on the property that will be part of the public record.  Have as much information before the 1st meeting.  Find out what they want 1st.  Don't offer a price.

    3) Based on the above numbers and assumptions, how much would you offer? How much would you pay? 70% rule says $331K [($645,000 x .70) - $120)]. $193,000 seems like a a lot of profit from this deal. Sure it would be great, but I would rather get the deal than insult the owner. Not sure why you're worried about insulting the owner.  What's the minimum profit you want to make from the deal?  Know you're minimum profit number before mtg w/ the owner.  That should guide your negotiations. 

    4) How would you go about getting a realistic ARV without access to the unit? If the public record or a past sales shows the number of bedrooms/baths, square footage....  you should then be able to find sales of comparable units.  You may have to use a realtor to pull the info for you.  If you can't find a realtor use Redfin.  You can pull your own comparables.  Don't use Zillow Z-Estimate or tax assessor records to determine value

    Thanks in advance for the advice!

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 14 votes
    10y
    How can we boost this post? I'm interested in an answer to these questions too.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.