Investing Own Cash into Deal Advice

Investing Own Cash into Deal Advice

Investor · Blackwood, NJ · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 12 votes

I plan to undertake my first buy, rehab, rent, refinance deal and am looking at homes in my market.  I have private money of 30-50k available to me in which I am paying out 6%.  I also am willing to put $50,000 of my own cash into the deal.  It is a little bit less than 50% of my net worth but am willing to do this because I believe that buying a fixer upper cash will create an opportunity for a better deal.  I have some reserve money ($15k) that is liquid but this is cutting it close without tapping into my company issued 401k.

Numbers:

3br/2ba Single Family
ARV: $125,000
Rent: $1,400 (conservative)
Purchase Price: $50,000
Rehab: 30K
Closing,Refi, Inspection Costs: $10,000
Taxes: $370 / month
Interest Paid: $1800
- I will add $5,000 in extra costs in the numbers to compensate for running over budget somewhere during rehab or other unforeseen costs.

* My lender has a 12 month seasoning period before I can refi and pull 80% equity out. However, I do have the option to use a HELOC to pull cash out faster as others have mentioned on this site.

80% of ARV = $100,000

$100,000 - Closing, refi, inspection - Rehab - Interest Paid - Extra Costs = Purchase Price

100,000 - 10,000 - 30,000 - 1,800 - 5,000 = $53,200 (Max Purchase Price)

Cash Flow Per Month = 

*factoring in 5% interest rate

Rent - Mortgage - Tax - Insurance - Vacancy(10%) - Maintenance(10%)

1400 - 540 - 370 - 50 - 140 - 140 = +160 per month

Any feedback on this deal and situation would be great, feel free to poke holes in it!

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Joe Conklin Why not flip the house?  Let's assume that your numbers are right.  Not including the $10K line for closing, refi, it looks like you'll be into it for about $87K when you are done.  Add $1.5K for purchase close, that's $88.5K.  You sell for $125K minus $7.5K to a realtor and $1.5K to close, that's $116K proceeds, a $27.5K profit.  I'd do that all day long before turning it into a drip-drip cash flow rental.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2015 · 139 posts · 43 votes
    11y

    I'm with Larry T on this one, just fix and flip if your numbers are correct. Take the quick profit and then utilize that money for another future transaction. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.