Rental Number 6 Under Contract

Rental Number 6 Under Contract

Linda WeygantPro Member
Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes

On July 15, we went under contract on our 6th rental property.  It's a townhouse and was listed for a day when our offer went in.  It's in the same complex where we have two other units - offering on this one was a no brainer for us and we called our agent and had him put an offer in, sight unseen.  All units are the exact same floor plan.

First, a discussion of our other two units in this complex.

The first one was purchased in March 2014 for $114,000. The HOA on it is $179 + $75 for a special assessment (which expires next month). It had original everything from 1974. I think even the original orange shag carpet was there, although it was matted, brown and laying quite flat by the time I bought it. Here is a picture of the original kitchen.

Here is a link to a rental ad for it, with pictures attached:

http://denver.craigslist.org/apa/5100452530.html

The remodel was $30,000 for a brand new kitchen, one complete remodel of a bathroom, one partial remodel (shower only) of a second bathroom, all new carpeting, paint, closet doors and appliances. It rented for $1950 per month and I refinanced it for $156,000 six months later - a classic BRRRR.

*******

The second unit was purchased in October 2014 for $155,000 and the mortgage company used the appraisal on the first unit as a comp to purchase the second.  Double whammy out of an appraisal fee!  It was pretty much turnkey - no remodel needed.  This one is rented out by the room for a total of $2450/month.

*******

As you can see, our experience with this floor plan and this complex is that it pretty much poops money for us.  So when I saw this most recent unit come up on the market, I pounced.

*******

It's been over a year since we purchased the first one and the Denver area market has been super hot.  This particular unit went on the market at $175.  We were one of 12 contracts put in over the weekend and we won it at $187.  You may wonder why the hell we offered so much.

First, a three bedroom unit in good (but not great) condition in this complex just sold for $171,500.   Therefore, I think that $175 was too low for a four bedroom.  I felt that competition would be high and at $187 purchase and $2450 rent (we're going to do this one by the room as well), we're still above a 1% rule.

 Second, this particular complex is under valued, in my opinion.  It is right across the street from a revitalization area.  A movie theater, shopping, restaurants and town center type area is going in across the street and should be opening at the end of next year. A Whole Foods, restaurants and other shopping is already within walking distance.  My personal prediction is that this complex, which is already under valued, will just increase dramatically once the revitalization is complete and the light rail station goes in.  Other areas where light rail has expanded in the last year have already seen an increase in property values.  I could be wrong though.  Only time will tell.

Third, it's tough to find a property in Denver right now that meets a 1% rule.  These are coming in at 1.2% and 1.6% respectively for the first two and this one will come in at 1.3%.  Hmmm..... maybe I need to re-evaluate my statement that 1% rule rentals are tough to find.  I seem to be finding them now, although I was having a very tough time over the winter and spring.

I intend to add to this diary as the deal goes through.  I'll talk about the inspection and any negotiations that come from that.  I'll then also talk about any remodeling that needs to be done and the process we'll go through to get the place rented.

Stay tuned!

6Reply
109 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 69 votes
11y

@Linda Weygant

 Congrats on the new rental and may your properties continue pooping money for you!

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Anaheim, CA · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Great stuff; I like the detail in your updates.

    I have an offer out now for my first planned BRRR. I'm soaking up the info from posts like yours!

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    OP
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Work Update:

    Kitchen Cabinets... starting to come together, but I had kind of a big set back.  Remember the carpet underlayment issue I mentioned?  What happened is that we removed the carpet and a middle layer, but there's a felt layer that's glued to the concrete.  We haven't figured out how to remove it yet.  In the meantime, I had disassembled the cabinet doors and laid them on that felt layer to apply the third and final coat of paint to them.  What happened is as we were walking through the living room, we were kicking up little bits of felt and they were then settling on the freshly painted cabinet doors.  I didn't discover this until the next day when I went I went to go pick up what I thought would be completed doors.  I ended up have to sand them all again and start from scratch, so that was annoying and wasted several hours of work.

    I also had to rebuild the bottoms of the sink cabinet and the one next to it as there was some water damage at one point and the wood was warped to the point where they were no longer usable.  

    Bi-fold closet doors... this place has tons of closets, but most of the doors were off the tracks and broken in some way or another.  I thought we were going to end up needing to replace most of them, but Mark went through and looked at them and determined that most of them just needed the little post and wheelie bit that fits into the tops and bottoms of the doors.  So about $30 worth of parts and little bits and bobs and about 3 hours of Mark's time and we think they'll be pretty serviceable after all, so that's pretty good.

    Flooring... having an issue (see my other post about my flooring woes) with getting the materials purchased as there is an issue with installing my chosen laminate on the stairs.  Essentially it is designed to be a floating floor system, which is apparently a big no-no on stairs.  If you think about it, that makes sense - but I hadn't thought about it.  I was also working with a sales person who wasn't doing a good job of explaining why this product wouldn't work for me, so I had to ask here on BP about it and finally got a good answer.  We're still going to use that product for the living and bedrooms, but we're now thinking about going with tile on the stairs.  Since Mark works at a local flooring store, we'll be getting all of the flooring with his employee discount.  My requests have been submitted to the manager to price out, so hopefully he'll get to that soon and we'll be able to get it all ordered.  

    Drywall...  next to the light switch in the living room, there was this 8" by 8" area of smooth textured wall that looked like painted-over spackle.  I kept looking at it and wondering if I could possibly texture it and blend it in with the surrounding area without it looking like crap.  I finally determined that no, I couldn't do it.  Between that and the corner bead that was popping off right next to it, I didn't think it could be salvaged, so I beat the hell out of the wall and began removing the old drywall in that section.  That was fun!

    Kitchen floor - I've painted the kitchen walls and tonight we began pulling up the linoleum in the kitchen.  Three layers of linoleum installed in this gem but once you (and by you, I mean Mark) start shoving the scraping tool under it, it comes up pretty well.  I was going to try to save out a few pieces of the linoleum to fashion @Dawn Anastasi's trick of lining the bottoms of sink cabinets with it to prevent future warping.  However, with three layers stuck together, there was no salvaging any of it.  Plus, it's so dirty that I decided to scrap that idea and we'll just get a piece of new - probably from Mark's work.

    There's a picture of the linoleum removal process.  Fun times!

    We have a hard stop time of 9:00 for working due to this being a townhouse with shared walls and the linoleum removal was the last bit we were working on tonight, so we didn't get a chance to finish it.  Once we get it all removed and get it all cleaned and swept and ready for tile, I'll take some pictures of the kitchen.  It's looking pretty good and we'll be ready to start on bathrooms next.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Can't wait to see it finished!

    @Linda Weygant nice of you to think of me and my little "tricks"!

  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 42 votes
    10y
    Hello Linda Weygant, Could you share more details about how you are renting the rooms out? Does each room have its own bathroom? Are you installing mini fridge in rooms? Are you allowing couples to rent rooms? What is the parking situation? Are you planing on to change the first tow home you bought to this model once lease is up? Thanks, Watson
  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    OP
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Watson Hilaire:

    Hello Linda Weygant,

    Could you share more details about how you are renting the rooms out? Does each room have its own bathroom? Are you installing mini fridge in rooms? Are you allowing couples to rent rooms? What is the parking situation? Are you planing on to change the first tow home you bought to this model once lease is up?

    Thanks,
    Watson

     Hi Watson,

    None of the bedrooms have a private bath, so they do have to share and make arrangements for that.  I hadn't thought about mini fridges in the rooms until you mentioned it.  On the one hand, I like it because it might alleviate some of the stress the main fridge is taking.  On the other hand, I wonder if having food in the bedrooms would encourage mice and other pests.  I'll have to think about that.

    We do not allow couples to rent a room because the city has a limit on the number of unrelated people that can live in one home.  

    There are two assigned parking spaces near the townhouse that the tenants may use on a first come, first serve basis. There are also visitor spots close by they can use, but the HOA requires cars in those spaces to be moved at least once every 3 days.

    The first town house was up for rent and I had a family move in during September.  Even though I receive less from them overall, they are much less stress and maintenance.  For the folks in the single rooms, it seems I'm chasing two of them every month for payment.  There are more repairs for some reason, which I don't understand as there's the same number of people in there.  

    I will always prefer to rent to a family, but Mark is in favor of the single room rentals.  Since the model works, I'm willing to honor his wishes on it.

  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 42 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Linda Weygant for getting back to me. Back in college I rented a by the room the apartment. It was three bedrooms and three baths. The bathrooms were only accessible through the bedrooms. We all shared a common fridge but could purchase small mini fridge to put in our rooms. The apartment complex furnished the apartments. They provided sofas and a tv for the living room and provide each room with a single bed. There policy was to only place same gender into an apartment unless the tenants indicated they had no preference. 

    Must admit hard for me to see strangers willing to share a bathroom especially in B+ neighborhood. Who will be responsible for cleaning the restroom? 

    I would like to try this out myself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.