Bought a duplex for $5,000 out of pocket!

Bought a duplex for $5,000 out of pocket!

PJ MuilenburgPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Sapulpa, OK · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 9 votes

I am a new investor just finalizing my second property that I thought went really well. I wanted to post a success story to encourage any other new investors. Starting out it can feel like the strategies the 'big time' investors use are unreachable and I felt that on my first deal. My first deal cost me $23,000 and I thought, 'how am I going to come up with that kind of cash over and over again'. Thanks to biggerpockets and a local mentor...

I bought a duplex in my town from a wholesaler, cost $82,500, and replaced the roof and did some other repairs myself. I used the BRRR method that Brandon Turner talks about, which is essentially he same method a mentor talked me through before that. I used a local bank with portfolio financing. The appraisal came back at 100k post repair, which I was a bit disappointed in. I asked the bank to use an income approach for the appraisal and after some work from my banker they went for it. It then appraised for 111k! After the refinance I was just over $5,000 out of pocket; plus got a line of credit for 6k since there was some room left in the LTV. All said and done I spend much less acquiring this property and actually cashflowed the whole time since I bought it with tenants in it.

I really hope this energizes a new investor in whatever their current goal is. My first a second properties are nearly identical in home value and rent but was able to get the second for much less with a few simple strategies. 
2Reply
25 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Good job on that success story! Sometimes, all it takes is a little strategic planning as well as experience to land an awesome deal like that!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.