Atlanta West - Bad Place to do Owner Occupied Properities?

Atlanta West - Bad Place to do Owner Occupied Properities?

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 10 votes

Hi everyone.

I'm an RE newbie so I'd like to pick your brain a bit.I've been looking at multi-family homes for my first investment and I found a good place on the West side of Midtown.

The good thing about this duplex is that it is 10-12 min drive to Georgia Tech, and 5 min. walk to the station. The property is gated and in great condition, and most importantly, it is within my budget; however, the neighboring houses are in shambles. There is a burnt down factory righ across from it, and the two neighboring houses are vacant.

I plan to rent out one unit, while I live in another.And in 1-2 years, move out to my next unit.

The unit is next to Maddox Park, on Pierce Ave NW.

I know most people stayed away from Westside because people feel it's an unsafe area.

Does anyone own property in this side of town and give me your thoughts on owning/renting properties in this area? 

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@eric feng  I admire your line of questioning but you're not going to get a good response here.  This is a very personal thing and it requires an unusual level of local knowledge.   

You know you're taking a risk, right.  You know what the risks are?  You've contemplated realistic returns?  Is it worth it?  

Most importantly, how can you mitigate some of the risks?  Keep working on this.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Newnan, GA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    Over the years, that area of ATL has earned it's sordid reputation. Thomas Jefferson said, "don't buy something just because it's cheap." I take that to mean that being within your budget shouldn't be the determining factor. Some people don't mind the hassles that go with living in a rougher urban neighborhood, while other folks get scared-to-death when a benign funky smelling old guy walks past muttering to himself. 

    Is it a good investment? Can you find long-term quality tenants? Will it cash flow? Is there appreciation in the neighborhood? Have you checked the crime stats on Trulia? In a pinch could you sell it within 60-90 days? 

    And the big question for In-town ATL is IS IT NEAR THE BELT LINE? 

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @eric feng  I admire your line of questioning but you're not going to get a good response here.  This is a very personal thing and it requires an unusual level of local knowledge.   

    You know you're taking a risk, right.  You know what the risks are?  You've contemplated realistic returns?  Is it worth it?  

    Most importantly, how can you mitigate some of the risks?  Keep working on this.

  • Lithonia, GA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Great points!  if its in your budget then go for it ! weigh out the risk ,come from a

    worst case scenario approach , the most important thing in my opinion is screening the tenant,i have 2 properties near the West End Mall close to Fort McPhearson,even though its a low income area dosent mean that all the tenants are bad or don't pay ,you just have to find them ,I did and I'm far from being some kind of guru

      Good Luck!

  • Smyrna, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Great question! I was also looking at a duplex near Pierce Ave, possibly the same one! The area didn't scare me, because the property was on a street that was somewhat secluded. The mold is what made me discontinue my pursuit! If we're referring to the same property be sure to get an inspector that can detect mold (could be a little higher in price). 

    Best wishes on your search!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Would you be occupying the property? If so, make sure it's an area you would feel comfortable (safe) in.

  • Real Estate Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi Eric,

    Most of my property investing has been on the Westside of Atlanta. I sold many properties in that area. I don't buy expecting to sell to other investors. Buy and hold mostly and sell only 3 to 4 a year.  As stated above, check the stats for the neighborhood and visit in person  the  City of Atlanta Code enforcement officer for potential problems or past enforcement action against property in question. I worked for the City for seven years while working the RE biz part time. The staff is good with helping if you talk with them in person and understand that they are very busy and need 10 to 20 more enforcement inspectors.  Don't run away from the Westside.  I'm been a full time RE investor since 1994 and found a good group of intown investors that understand the Westside marketplace.   So do your homework and talk with other investor about their properties in those area (visit the streets/address that they hold properties on) 

    Glenn

  • Investor · Bay Shore, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    10y

    @Eric Feng - This is a question that you will definitely need some soul searching to get to the final answer....it's not as easy as Jeopardy! It will result in you formulating the decision based on your head and not your heart.

    @Account Closed made some excellent points coupled with great questions that will help you put this thought/purchase to rest one way or another.

    Good luck with your decision and keep us posted on the outcome one way or another.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Thank you everyone for your advice.!

    1. @Account Closed Thank you for those great questions, which prompt me to do more research. According to Trulia, it's a relatively safe light green neighborhood, (Midtown is showing up as an dangerous area in red though). An actual visit to the place, gives me the opposite impression. Just by driving by, the neighborhood feels unsafe and may deter away potential good renters. I doubt it can be sold quickly 2-3 months. It has been listed on Zillow for 831 days, and the price doesn't seem right. The single 3/1 single family homes in the area remains low at around 3-40k, while this duplex is asking for 130k. The appreciation seems slow by looking at the neighboring house history.  
    2. However, it is near the Beltline! Which is also one of my motives for the purpose. According to the Beltline project map , the trail will connect both Washington Park and Maddox Park and the westside, and the duplex is located in between these two parks. However, the question is, when does the construction start and finish?
    3. As for the other big question, is it a good investment? I definitely more experience coming up with a more accurate result. Currently, BP calculator is telling me no... even if I buy the place at $80k. So I've decided to sit on this property and see how will time change the situation.
    4. @G a Gloster I'd love to hear your experience on investing on the Westside, including both success and horror stories.  From what I heard, East Atlanta used to be similar to Westside, but now it's getting better and better, thanks to fix-n-flippers. So that's why I always feel Westside has potentials, especially those areas closer to Midtown. 
    5. But I will definitely take your advice and talk to the enforcement officers to find out more info and keep a close watch on this property.
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 389 posts · 250 votes
    10y

    My son played ultimate in Maddox Park, and I drove around a bit a few times. Bankhead Highway has a seriously notorious reputation/history, so I think it would be a somewhat risky investment for the short term,.  And you can't count on that neighborhood booming as quickly as some others -- it's close, but not right ON the Beltline  (what's the "tour route"?).  It's all over sketchy -- but intriguing.  

    Are YOU comfortable living there?  Because to make it work you might need to be on site for a while.  Does it have perks for you (proximity to Tech + price?).  Do you have connections to find quality tenants (Tech grad students?) willing to brave the location for a nice interior, short commute and affordable rent?  What about trying to buy the vacant units on either side, and bringing up the street yourself?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 389 posts · 250 votes
    10y

    @Eric Feng -- Maybe East Atlanta used to be similar to Westside, but not in the past 25 years.  EA was groovy/hip 20 years ago, with edgy restaurants and The Earl, destinations that attracted tenants and flippers.  Bankhead Highway 20 years ago had transvestite hookers getting beat up by outraged frat boys who picked up the wrong trick.  The trendiness in the Westside north of this location (Marietta St/Howell Mill) is all factory lofts and apartment buildings, at least as far as I see. I wouldn't think two years is a realistic timeline for this area.

    >> I just looked at what I think is the property in question on Google Maps -- seems somewhat 'fish out of water," plopped right there on a street with nothing else going for it, and the vacant properties don't look like flip material. They're more like scrape-and-builds, and that comes years after flippers start work. IMHO, if you want a better first investment, buy a $60,000 SFH in Candler/Macafee/Belvedere/Columbia and get a roommate. Or Adair Park/Pittsburgh -- closer to Beltline & impending development. You'll be able to move out and on much faster.

  • Investor · Watertown, NY · Member since 2015 · 225 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    if your budget is the issue, check out beltline.org. If you meet the housing requirements, they will make the down payment and you own the loan. I think they even forgive it after 5 years. Worth a look if you meet the requirements. If you're looking there, you might as well give it a go. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austell, GA · Member since 2014 · 232 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    Don't do it. Lol That's all I have to say about that. For 130K you can do way better than that area, both in terms of investment property numbers and quality of life, since you'll be occupying the property. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.