My first deal under contract & with no money down

My first deal under contract & with no money down

Residential Real Estate Broker · Tylertown, MS · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 27 votes

After years of analyzing deals for clients, I am finally under contract on my own flip, and with no money down. I have been in real estate since 2013, but even before then I was trying to buy from owners who would finance their home to me. I wish I could say that it worked but it didn’t for me. Most owners didn’t understand the whole process of owner financing, and truth be told I probably didn’t either. I believe a lot of owners could sense that, and I contribute to the reason I never got someone to owner finance.

So after several offers being declined because of the owner finance terms, I started to seek out investors. I started by asking friends and church members if they knew anyone that I could possibly get the money from, and I got a lot of leads. However, those leads were to people who had money, and not to people who invested in real estate. Let me tell you there is a big difference. I wish I understood that at the beginning because it would have eased the doubts that I started to believe after hearing all the “NO YOU’ll LOSE MONEY’’ or “THAT”S TOO RISKY”. When you start asking people you trust about borrowing money, you start to believe that they are right, and for a while I believed them.

After coming up short on finding the money to invest, I decided that I would have to wait and save up my money. Which is still great advice, and I am still saving. However, when you don’t have that much to save in the first place it takes a REALLY LONG TIME. But I was willing to wait no matter how long.

But that was a LIE. I was struggling to save up money plain and simple. Also, I was tired of watching my clients lose on deals that I would analyze for them, because they wanted to wait and watch what happens. Can you guess what happened every time a client said that? Yep someone else bought it. With that I had enough, and I went and asked my wife's folks if they wanted to partner with me.

Now, some of you might be saying why wouldn’t I go to them first. Well, that’s is simple, because they don’t have any money either. However, I told them my plans and I that needed a partner that will put the money up to buy and rehab the deals. I suggested to them to borrow equity out of another property that they owned, and before my mother-in-law could say no, my father-in-law yells out “DO IT”. Her face was in shock because she was mid sentence of say no. To tell the truth I was shocked as well; however, we were even more shocked to find out my father-in-law went in as a partner in deal a couple years ago on a real estate deal and each partner made 60k. Of course, my mother-in-law asked how come she didn’t know, and my father-in-law said because you didn’t ask.

Now, my in-law’s and I are 50/50 partners with them putting 100% of the money. I analyzed a deal that I presented to them as a flip. They agreed and it’s under contract.

The house is 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, 2080 sqft sitting on .58 of acer. It’s a ranch built in 1979 with a bonus room up stairs. I wrote the offer up with a 15-day contingency for inspections and a sells price of 35k cash to close in 21 days.

Today is day two, and I had the power and water turned on. I have walked through to make sure there are no leaks, and that the lights function. I am meeting contractors in the morning to get bids on the scope of work that I wrote up today after my walk through. If their bids come back in at the number I am estimating, then we will be closing on November 20.

To say the least, I am excited to have my first deal under contract. I have been waiting for this day for a long time. I have spent a lot of energy chasing down bad leads and getting bad advice from family and friends. My mother-in-law was one of the people who told me that I would lose money and it was too risky. My advice to anyone reading this is to talk to people who has invested before. Their mind set is different from those who haven’t done it. My father in-law for example, did that one deal a few years ago because his father was an investor who bought and flipped houses.

I will post photos and updates as time passes. If anyone has any question or comment please ask.

3Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Palm Harbor, FL · Member since 2015 · 86 posts · 18 votes
10y

It just goes to show that no matter how hard something may seem, never give up!  Congratulations on accomplishing your goal!

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Man 

    @Kurt Brumfield

    There is pain with family and friends!

    Here's a suggestion for private lenders which in my opinion you really need to get any traction in any movement in getting multiple deals

    Study up on custodians of private lending that put together private loans for people's IRAs

    I coach marketing for private lenders, and the most important thing you can do is to find deeds that have as the lender the name of the custodian, like Pensco Trust or Equity Trust

    Use custodians to help educate your private lenders

    Google "Brian Gibbons private lending" and you'll get a lot of free information

    I would stay away from family and friends for a while to get a track record of 10 deals or so

    You're successful flips will shut up anybody that thinks you can't do it

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Tylertown, MS · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Update- Our original contract was canceled because the selling agent, said she would not present the offer without proof of funds. Regardless after a month of our original offer we have the house contracted for $1500 less than our first offer. We are scheduled to close Dec. 23, 2015.

    Update- 12/30/15 We still haven't closed and had to write an extension on the property. Closing attorney states we should be ready by Jan 7th. Fingers crossed. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Tylertown, MS · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Closed on the house yesterday. I will putting up photos soon.

  • Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 138 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    @Kurt Brumfield Congratulations! That is great and excitement is definitely in order. I wish you all the best of continued success!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Tylertown, MS · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    I have found a buyer, and put it under contract tonight. I am putting on a new roof, ac unit and fixing a hole in the ceiling of the front porch. Roofer starting in the morning. Here are some pictures.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oak Lawn, IL · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    congratulations! Very inspirational. What are the numbers on the property if you don't mind me asking? 

  • Investor · Palm Harbor, FL · Member since 2015 · 86 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    It just goes to show that no matter how hard something may seem, never give up!  Congratulations on accomplishing your goal!

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    Congrats Kurt! Good luck getting with the property (and the next one and the one after that...)

  • Wholesaler · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Congrats on making this happen. I'm sure it will be easier & easier to pull the trigger in the future when you see a good deal. Awesome job
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Tylertown, MS · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    @Ron Woods, @Andrew Syrios, @Christine T.

    Thanks for the kind words. I am happy to say that we finally closed the deal yesterday. What seemed like a quick turn wasn't. We bought this property on Jan 5 2016 and had it under contract Jan 14 2016. Buyer's first lender (FHA loan) was declined by the appraiser because the property only sat on .56 of an acre and would not give an "as-is" value (purchase price of 65k). Then underwriters said the buyers didn't qualify for FHA because the house was being purchased as a primary residence and his employer & job was more than 160 miles away (good to know this rule). After several conversations with the lender, he told us there was nothing they could do. Oh well, time to find a buyer another lender. I sent the buyers to a lender that I know, and he offered the buyers to purchase the home conventional as a second home. New Lender so new contract for purchase on Feb 5th 2016 and he pushed the loan through that we closed yesterday. Another note the appraiser for the second lender also flagged the property contingent on environmental inspection of septic tank. However the lender's underwriting waived that clause because it was not an FHA loan and the buyers were accepting the home in as is condition once the repairs were made.

    @Azia MartinHere was the terms of the sale. Offer price of 69k contingent on pest inspection, replace roof, replace bad ac unit, and repair broken window panes (BB Guns Sux), and seller concession of 4140 for closing cost. We did fix all the issue as per contract, and below is the break down of expenses.

    Purchase Reo 33,500 (bank listed 35k but I knew ac unit was bad)

    Roof 4,500

    Ac Unit 1,975

    Duct work 300 (found when replacing ac unit that rats or squirrels ate the old duct)

    wood work on soffit 417.

    The rest of the expenses included water, electric, insurance, and garbage that I am just going to add into the total cost of expense. Also note, we have a 75k line of credit at 5.5% that was used to fund the project, so we did have to pay one month of interest of $220.

    Sale Price        69K

    Concession     (4.14k)

    Net at closing  64.86K

    Expenses      (42,983.31)

    Total              21,876.69

    My share is half that so I took down $10,983.35. It might not seem like a lot but I feel the work that was involved or should I say the lack of work involved made this a great deal. Please let me know what you think. I looking to learn so please send me your feedback. 

  • Perris, CA · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Congratulations! And although it may not be a lot, you made money and probably learned a ton in the process. Way to go!

  • Newark, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 14 votes
    10y
    CONGRATULATIONS!Experience and 10k vs 0,(Huge Difference!) and your voice is heard.You made it happen, just keep being successful.Now You have a better sense of what it takes for you to overcome.Give yourself a pat on the back for Commitment, Focus, Discipline, and Persistence. 
  • Professional · Stockton, CA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Great job!!!  You inspired me!!!  My bandit signs went up yesterday morning, more going out tomorrow. This is my first  step into real estate investing and I gained value   from your experience.  Thanks and continued success. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 531 posts · 266 votes
    10y

    That is awesome, CONGRATS!! 

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    Good Work Kurt!  Get after it!

  • Brunswick, GA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    First of all, CONGRATS! I'm new to real estate investing. Reading your post provided valuable information, especially regarding the negative occurrences  but you never gave up. Your story is motivation to push through no matter how many "no's", "you're going to loose money", it's risky" and so on. You went against the odds and you came out on top. The best lessons are learned through experiences.

  • Antioch, CA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Awesome job Kurt!
  • Real Estate Agent · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    CONGRATULATIONS! Fantastic job! That was an inspiration! 

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Kurt Brumfield "My share is half that so I took down $10,983.35. It might not seem like a lot but I feel the work that was involved or should I say the lack of work involved made this a great deal." 

    Quantity to me is essential to being successful over the long run. Imagine 20 properties at $10,983.35. Eventually you guys will be able to hit that one home run; so continue to look for the singles my brother eventually a double will be waiting on you. Awesome job!!!   

  • Cheltenham, MD · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Awesome great motivation for a beginner like me
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Kurt Brumfield

    Great job. Makes you want to run out and do it again.

    Paul

  • Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Great job! Motivating!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Tylertown, MS · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    @Paul Timmins It defiantly makes you want to do it again. In fact, I was wanting to buy a home I found going into foreclosure last week and after looking at the true number of what would probably been made I decide to pass on the deal. It could of been an easy flip 3br 1200sqft built 2006 on 1.5 acres with less then 10k in repairs and a sell price of $86,620 with ARV of 120K. However, my local area is affect by the lay-off in the oil field; so, I felt that the house would sell around 110-115k and be on the market for 2-3 months. On to the next prospect, which is a 3br 1800sqft home build in 1985 on 40 acres more or less. It too is going into foreclosure and by what I can tell the owners owe around 110K and the ARV 220-240 depending how much timber or open land is there. I am planing to drive out and check it out today because the sell is coming up in April. Even with all the lay-offs I think this place will sell for 180-200k. This prospect was another reason I passed on the house last week.

    Guess I say all this to say not to get caught up in the success from the last deal, and always stay true to the numbers, because they never lie. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.