My $52,996.25 wholesale deal complete!

My $52,996.25 wholesale deal complete!

Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 243 posts · 103 votes

Hello all,

I finally have my own success story. 

I guess this year alone has been a bit of a success story but Ill spare you and only discuss my most recent success, a 50k wholesale deal. 

I have been working on this deal for about 3 months (mainly waiting on probate to finish). My attorney, who is awesome, had to find 12 people to sign off on the probate documents. We actually got this sone pretty quickly to my surprise, especially since none of them were receiving any of the proceeds form the sale. 

Probate finally finished and my buyer was already prepared to close. 

We ended up pushing the closing back 1 week because the current owners had not found a new home yet. Eventually I convinced the owners that it would be best to go ahead and close so that taxes wouldn't continue to eat away their profits. 

Once they agreed, I tried to make the process a very smooth transition. I paid for professional packers to help pack the house, I paid for movers to transport the items to storage, and I even paid for 1 month of storage. Oh and not to mention $250 so that their disabled brother could live with a friend for the month until they found a new home. 

I thought this was worth getting the deal done since they had no money and I was ready to get this deal done. 

The day before closing, which is when the movers came to pick up the items of the house, the owner calls me at 6pm, several hours after the movers have left and delivered the stuff to storage, and says the movers didn't get everything so they were in the house trying to pack all of these big items in to a car smh. 

I got really frustrated and decided to get off the phone and call my buyer, who I have a really solid relationship with. She said she would help with whatever I needed and immediately got a contractor out there to turn the gas off and unhook the gas line from the heater (one of the things the owner failed to mention she wanted until the last minute). Th contractor came the next morning on time and got it done quickly. 

Now for the next problem. I decided the best way to handle all of the large items that were left in the house was to call another moving company. I decided to go to the property myself and place tape on all items that would need to be placed on the truck, at this point there was no room for mistakes. 

Luckily for me, the week prior to this happening, I attended a commercial RE networking event and just so happened to meet the owner of a small moving company. I decided to call him at around 8pm. Surprisingly he answered and said he would be able to have a crew out to the house in the morning. This was really a life saver on such short notice. 

Fast forward to the next day (closing day) everything is going as planned, but the rain is slowing traffic down which made the movers a bit late. No worries, still keeping a cool head. They finally arrived and got the items out of the house pretty quickly. This time I made sure that I checked the entire house before the truck was cleared to head to storage. The owner confirmed that everything that was tagged had been taken. 

Sounds like its over right? Nope lol. 

We get to the storage unit and when I opened the unit, it was backed very unprofessionally by the movers from the day before, it was a huge until and the movers did not use the space to its highest capacity. 

The movers quickly let me know that rearranging was not in their job description. I agreed and ask them how much would they charge to rearrange the storage just enough to fit the new items in there. They answered $25/piece for the two of them. I replied "hows $50/piece" they said that will work and immediately got to work. They finished pretty quickly which I was happy about. The only thing I wasn't happy about was the fact that the guy tried to play me by asking for $75 a pice instead of $50. I immediately said no because 50 was more than fair. He agreed and that was the end of that. 

Without boring you with details, we successfully closed on the deal and I got my largest wholesale check to date for $52,996.25.

25Reply
284 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
10y

@James Wise Why so negative?  Sellers always have a choice.  I don't think a gun was held to their head telling them to sign docs.  They could have easily called a Realtor but for some reason did not or maybe they did and did not want to go that route.  I applaude @Fitzgerald Hall for solving these folks real estate problem.

FYI - This is coming for a Realtor/Investor/Landlord 

See this reply in the discussion

135 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    Congratulations!!

  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    That's a great story, the amazing thing is that you'll be able to do that again. 

    You had to go thru many levels to achieve your rewards, many people would have given up or wouldn't know what to do.

    Charles

  • Investor/Realtor · Wentzville, MO · Member since 2014 · 846 posts · 431 votes
    10y

    @Fitzgerald Hall Congratulations!  That is an HUGE payday for a wholesale deal!  I am curious to know how you found this lead?  Direct Mail?  Driving for Dollars??

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    10y

    Very nice pay day.  Way to make things happen.  What are the numbers on the deal?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y

    This story is EXACTLY why there is a regulated real estate industry. It is to protect sellers from people stealing $50,000+ from them because they don't know any better. But hey I guess it's ok because you paid for the movers.......Gimme a break.

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 243 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    @Ryan Billingsley I found this from DFD, building a mailing list, and mailing consistently. 

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 243 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    @Rocky V. Under contract for 175k sold to buyer for 224k. ARV 850k+

  • Investor · Independence, OH · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    James is spot on. I would like to hear the "details" of the transaction. Closing, earnest money, etc.??? What was the ARV $500K?

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 243 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    @James Wise Thanks James for your reply, but maybe you should ask more questions instead of assuming. One thing I did forget to mention is that, without me they would have lost the house. When the owner first contacted me, they were days away from losing their house to a tax sale. In the city of Decatur it would have been gone in a heart beat. They wouldn't have gotten anything, zilch, zero, nadda. I took a huge chance and paid their tax bill. A number of things could have gone wrong that would have caused me to lose my 5k. On top of that I paid for the probate as well, which they would not have been able to pay for without me. What realtor do you know would have gone to such lengths to help a seller? I could have gotten much more on the back end from a buyer but I chose not to. Im not a greedy person and my buyer recognizes that. Also, I never even negotiated a price with the seller, they told me what they wanted and I agreed. I literally went above and beyond to help this seller, much more than any relator I know would have. Theres a lot that went on in this story that I didn't write about due to the length of my post. But overall my concusses is clear and I have a great relationship with the seller and It was truly a win win for everyone involved. 

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 243 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    @Gary Pallini ARV 850k+

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    10y

    @James Wise Why so negative?  Sellers always have a choice.  I don't think a gun was held to their head telling them to sign docs.  They could have easily called a Realtor but for some reason did not or maybe they did and did not want to go that route.  I applaude @Fitzgerald Hall for solving these folks real estate problem.

    FYI - This is coming for a Realtor/Investor/Landlord 

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 243 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    @Gary Pallini Also, please do not place relators on such a high pedestal as if they genuinely care about these types of sellers. Realtors only care about one thing; getting the highest price possible so that their check is as large as possible. I am not a relator, nor do I wish to be, this is simply a path I've chosen to build capital to move into the next phase of my RE investment path. Furthermore, I am not obligated to purchase a house for the highest price possible, my goal is to purchase low, sell high, same as any other investor. If you are confused about that, maybe this is the wrong forum for you. 

  • Investor · Independence, OH · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Thanks for clarifying. A suggestion....in the future, put more of these details in your post. If you don't, it will mislead the quality people here, AND (more importantly) encourage those that are looking for that "get rich quick" solution to think they can overly or overtly prey on distressed individuals.

    All the BEST!!

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 243 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    @Rocky V. Well said. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y

    What was the amount of work needed to get this property up to the 850k value? 100k? 200k? I am going to go ahead and guess that nobody told them that even in the houses current state it could have been placed on the market at a discounted price that was much higher then what they got and it would have sold in days. Same way Fitzgerald sold it so quickly.

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 243 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    @James Wise once again you are assuming and making an *beep* out of yourself lol. The house was in horrible condition. It was a tear down. Build cost exceeds 300k. And once again, I helped them where no one else could. I paid for probate and saved the house from tax sale. What realtor you know does that? 

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y

    @Fitzgerald Hall

    Keep the momentum...

    Frank

  • Brockton, MA · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Wow, congrats man! Thanks for the motivation. 

  • Investor · Indialantic, FL · Member since 2013 · 111 posts · 76 votes
    10y

    @Fitzgerald Hall  Just curious, how much did the seller/estate make from the sale?

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 243 posts · 103 votes
    10y
  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    @James WiseHow much should he get for his effort? What would be a reasonable amount of profit for his effort be?

    I mean why do we pay relators they get 6% to show some houses and provide a few documents to sign. They basically scam 3% from buy and seller for arranging a showing. (see how detrimental this thought process is.)

  • Investor · Newburgh, IN · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    @James Wise $50k is really a drop in the bucket on a $850k ARV. It's less than a 7% broker's commission. If @Fitzgerald Hall  pulled a $20k property out from under someone for $1k through deceit and sold it for $51k to someone that didn't have all the facts, your opinion may be more reasonable.  Sounds to me like the deal was legit.

    If it wasn't, let karma handle it.  

    Don't come on here making assumptions and trying to bring a guy down.  He took risk.  He had skin in the game.  He hustled.  He succeeded.  Don't hate.


    Congrats, Mr. Hall.  It sounds like you brought value to the table from every angle.

  • RE Investor · Newnan, GA · Member since 2015 · 309 posts · 132 votes
    10y

    @Fitzgerald Hall Sounds like you solved many problems on your way to a nice payday. Thanks for sharing.

    @James Wise You should not bash people for sharing their stories/experiences. 

  • Real Estate Entrepreneur · Bridgeport, CT · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Fitzgerald Hall Congrats!! This is an awesome story. You certainty go above and beyond in order to get the deal done and create a win-win scenario for EVERYONE involved. Great work. Very motivating and inspiring. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2013 · 197 posts · 77 votes
    10y

    Congrats and good job saving the house from the state.  Was it an assignment deal?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.