GOAL SETTING: 2015 Goals Update. (Closing on 3 more units Thurs)

GOAL SETTING: 2015 Goals Update. (Closing on 3 more units Thurs)

Investor · St. Louis Mo · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 129 votes

I cant emphasize enough how important it is to SET GOALS.  And not just come up with them in your head, but physically writing them down on paper and reviewing them a couple times a month.  Over the last year or two, I have been working on my self-growth everyday.  I believe in forming habits that mold you and make you a more productive, successful, and happier person!  One thing that has really helped me get more done in the day is every morning waking up and grabbing my yellow legal pad, dating it, and writing down tasks that need done that day.  I then carry that pad with me in my truck and use it as a running journal of what I need, what I'm doing, and what needs done.  There is true satisfaction physically crossing off items on your list!  

It was these small habits that allowed me to hit my goals for the year 2015.  Some of my goals were as follows:

Acquire a Missouri Realtor License

Move to St. Louis

Buy a Duplex and "House hack" (Thanks @Brandon Turner)

And last but not least, acquire 5 more rental units.

To some of you these might be some pretty easy goals to hit, but for a 21 year old, it's at least a start!  I am happy to say that this Thursday (12-10)  I will be closing on 3 more units allowing me to complete all of my 2015 goals!  Big thanks to BP nation for keeping me motivated! @Joshua D.

2Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Bentonville, AR · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
10y

Wow @Kyle Grimm that is incredible and I live the notepad idea. I'm 26 and I'm actually hoping to do the exact same thing as you.  Would love to pick your brain sometime on your challenges and things you've learned.

That's also the second time I've heard the "House Hack" term used. Where can I learn more about this?

Congrats man!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bentonville, AR · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Wow @Kyle Grimm that is incredible and I live the notepad idea. I'm 26 and I'm actually hoping to do the exact same thing as you.  Would love to pick your brain sometime on your challenges and things you've learned.

    That's also the second time I've heard the "House Hack" term used. Where can I learn more about this?

    Congrats man!

  • Investor · St. Louis Mo · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Dustin Hahn!  I might not be the best person to learn from but I've definitely had some great experiences!  Do you listen to the BiggerPockets Podcasts?  @Brandon Turner and @Joshua D. put a show out maybe once a week?  If you aren't listening to them, I highly recommend it.  I try to listen to them anytime I am driving, or doing some kind of work that doesn't require much thinking.  

    Good luck and make something happen!

  • Bentonville, AR · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    No I have not been able to get into the podcasts yet. I just signed up for BP last night so learning the ropes still. Is there a good way to get to those podcasts on Android? I just got the BP app. Is that what you are using? And how do you tag people? Lol.. I'm pretty tech savvy and I can't figure out how people are doing that.

    Thanks man!

  • Wholesaler · Saint Ann, MO · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Grimm Congratulations! Do not short-change yourself at all. If it were easy, then everyone would do it. You took massive action, and completed your goals, with some time to spare!

    I second your recommendation on writing goals down. Specific goals. So many people say they want to lose weight, but not how much. Or that they want to 'get into' real estate, but don't specify what form. You were specific, set a deadline, had a plan, wrote it down, and crushed it.

    I look forward to seeing your future achievements! And thank you for posting this, showing your results for others to see.

  • Investor · St. Louis Mo · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    Actually, I just listened to their most recent podcast today and I am pretty sure they said android users can now listen to it wherever you download your other music/audio books.  For Apple users, we have a podcast app and you just search BiggerPockets.  You can also listen to them on here if you go to the Home page and click Podcasts.  

    To tag people type in "@" and then start typing their name.  It will pop up at the bottom of your post and just click it.  @Dustin Hahn

  • Bentonville, AR · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Grimm Thank you very much man. Congrats again on your successful investing. I added you as a colleague and would love to keep in touch throughout both of our journeys! You've got a head start, but I'm excited to learn from the lovely people here. Already feel extremely welcomed.

    Thanks again

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Wow! Congrats. I love the pad idea, been doing it for a couple of months and its some sort of rush to cross out things that get done. Lol! At least for me.

    Thanks for sharing your goals and achievements. I don't have a lot of experience but if I can help you with anything down here in Houston, let me know.

  • Wholesaler · Arnold, MO · Member since 2013 · 348 posts · 183 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Grimm Awesome. You are creating some great habits that will benefit you and your RE business going forward.

  • Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Great job @Kyle Grimm! I've always lived by the list, but I'm trying to get my husband into the goal setting. He loves to sit down on a yearly basis and look at our networth and its growth over the year so I think setting goals for his business might be great for him too!

  • Property Manager · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 76 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Grimm congratulations!  I've also found writing down goals are the way to get things done.  I have yearly, monthly, and weekly goals.  Even if things get shuffled around it still makes a big difference in making things happen.  Blocking off my calendar with activities also made a big difference for me - if I don't get something done google makes it easy to just move it to the next available time.

    Also love the podcasts - I tend to listen to them while working at a rental.  Recently I've been binging on them while painting my rehab; great motivation.

  • Investor · St. Louis Mo · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    @Maggie L. I do the same when I am painting!  Painting doesn't require too much thought so it's a great time to do some learning!

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Congrats @Kyle Grimm, as a newbie investor myself I find motivation in reading success stories such as the one you've shared, thanks for sharing man, im implementing this immediately and look forward to sharing my own success story, all the best on your continued success!

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Grimm

    Big congratulations for achieving your set goals.

  • Real Estate Agent · Saint Louis Park, MN · Member since 2015 · 213 posts · 82 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Grimm

    Congrats on making your 2015 goals come true! I am currently looking to shift my life into real estate from my current career, and your story is inspiring. Just went and checked out your company website, and it's awesome. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what website company did you use? Keep on building that portfolio! Looking forward to hopefully reading your bigger goals for 2016. 

  • Acworth, GA · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Congratulations Kyle Grimm its all so inspiring and getting it done at such a young age is even more inspiring.  Your ability to remain focused is awesome.  Thank you for sharing and I am looking forward to your future success stories.

    Sincerely,

    Shurrone Jordan

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Steve Christensen:

    ...... If it were easy, then everyone would do it.....

    True. congrats to Kyle

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.