My 1st Flip (or not so flippy) Success Story

My 1st Flip (or not so flippy) Success Story

Property Manager · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 86 votes

After purchasing a few buy and holds in Florida I realized how hot my market is and wanted to buy more but needed some cash...so I decided to do a flip.  I ended up at the foreclosure auction bidding on a house (that I did not get) and when the next house came up I was a little familiar with the property so I decided I would bid but had my cap set at $80k.  Bidding started at $65k and I was the only other bidder and went in for $67k...and won!  So I met my agent and contractor at the house shortly after and much to my surprise the tax records were wrong as the house was not a 2/1 816 sq ft right near the beach but a 3/2 1400 sq ft right near the beach!  Additionally the former homeowner showed up at the house to give me the keys (what???).  So after looking at the repairs being around $50k and thinking I could sell the house for $159-$179k I did some thinking.  The former owner had left tons of stuff at the house so I got a dumpster and paid $800 all in for the trash to be removed.  I met with my agent and asked him if we could go ahead and list the house as is as I thought I could get over $100k for it (not quite as much as if flipped but no surprises, no carrying costs, etc).  We listed the house for $112k, had 5 people in the first day, an offer and agreed price of $105k two days later and closed ten days after that (were were suppose to close 5 days after but the back of the house addition had a lien that we dealt with first-the purchaser actually assumed the lien and we took $1k off the price.  So in less than a month I purchased and sold the home with only paying $800 trash fee and the real estate commission netting over $28k (closing fees etc in there).  Not bad for my first non-flip Flip!  

4Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y

@Krista Goodrich  good job.. everyone else probably thought the house was a 2/1 and did not bid... or bid it up. 

wrong sq ft  is common and sometimes like in this case it can help other times if its smaller than you thought it can hurt.

I find there are 3 really good week to bid at public auctions..   Week of Thanksgiving

Week of Christmas and Week of New Years.. the regulars many times take that time off and your left with less competition

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New Port Richey, FL · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    That's awesome! Great inspiring story! And great job.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Congrats! That is a nice Christmas present. What town is it located? How were the crowds at the auction?

  • Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 129 votes
    10y
    Sounds like a story for late night tv lol. Congrats
  • Property Manager · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 86 votes
    10y

    Some days there are tons of bidders and other days not so much, this one was Daytona Beach and I try to watch St. Augustine and Jacksonville too-great opportunities there too.  John, there are some great opportunities if you are interested I can let you know when there is a bigger one-I just had a house for $530k that needed $300k in repairs but on the water and will go for 1.2 Million fixed...the lender actually contacted me but I couldn't get the money!  So annoying!  It's interesting here because there are some parts of the city that are great and others that you may get shot driving through so just have to be careful of the location.

  • Williston, ND · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    That's right place right time! Nice work!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Krista Goodrich  good job.. everyone else probably thought the house was a 2/1 and did not bid... or bid it up. 

    wrong sq ft  is common and sometimes like in this case it can help other times if its smaller than you thought it can hurt.

    I find there are 3 really good week to bid at public auctions..   Week of Thanksgiving

    Week of Christmas and Week of New Years.. the regulars many times take that time off and your left with less competition

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    10y

    Congratulations @Krista Goodrich! Great Christmas present for you.

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Congrats on making such a nice profit on this deal!

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    Luck favors the prepared! Congratulations Krista!

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    Congratulations.fantastic story at christmas

  • Rental Property Investor · Fond Du Lac, WI · Member since 2015 · 261 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    This is awesome! Truly happy holidays for you

  • Investor · Lafayette, LA · Member since 2015 · 152 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    Thats great! I wish I had some of your luck! And the 28k will help the next project get moving!

  • Fargo, ND · Member since 2014 · 98 posts · 26 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Krista Goodrich  good job.. everyone else probably thought the house was a 2/1 and did not bid... or bid it up. 

    wrong sq ft  is common and sometimes like in this case it can help other times if its smaller than you thought it can hurt.

    I find there are 3 really good week to bid at public auctions..   Week of Thanksgiving

    Week of Christmas and Week of New Years.. the regulars many times take that time off and your left with less competition

     That's some really good advice. I'll have to remember and be prepared for that next year. Thanks!! 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Eric Mauricio    the state of WA  trustee  sales are each Friday.

    the best is when one of these holidays is on Thursday... I have gotten some of my best deals on those Fridays post holidays

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    10y

    Congrats, really nice and fortunate deal!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.