How much do you believe your attitude affects your success?

How much do you believe your attitude affects your success?

Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I am a huge believer that our attitude and mindset helps us succeed. Think and Grow Rich is one of my all time favorite books and I am re-reading it right now. I was curious how many of you think your mindset and attitude are a big part of your success or non success (I don't like the word failure)? 

Over the last year I had a lot of success, but I didn't hit many of my goals. This is not always a bad thing when you have huge massive goals, but I also think I could have done much better. Here is my plan for the next year to change things, especially my mindset.  

1. Last year I got away from doing a daily routine. I used to meditate every night, write in a grateful journal, plan my next day and visualize my future success. I did this almost every night without fail. I went to bed relaxed, thinking about my goals and thinking about future success. In 2015 I stopped doing this as much. Some times I would go a week or two. I figured with 4 year old twins and everything else going on I didn't have to do it every night. The last the few months I have gone back to a daily routine and already seen better results. 

2. Goal setting. I am a huge believer in big goals. I have my goal to purchase 100 rentals by 2023 and I had  a goal to buy a Lamborghini in 2014 which I did! I continue to make new and big goals all year round. It helps to have a blog where I publish my goals to keep me accountable. part of my daily routine was reviewing my big goals every night. I got away from that a little as well. It did help that I was able to publish a four part series on my goals during the year for Realtor Magazine, but I need to do better on my own!

3. Being positive. Yes, I am a huge believer in being positive. There is too much negativity in this world or at least perceived negativity from the media. I try to be as happy as I can every day. It is not easy, but it sure makes me feel better when I can do that. It makes my family happier, which makes people they interact with happier and so on. It also makes me more successful, because I know no matter how grim things may be it will all work out in the end if I keep at it. 

Thoughts? How many of you are doing similar things?

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

My biggest key to success is that failure/giving up is not an option. Sure I scratch things that don't work. Put myself out and try new thing and reaccess and redo when they don't work but I don't fail. I think a lot of this is training as a military wife. My husband completed a 10 month deployment from 2014-2015 and a lot of things happened. The thing was I couldn't once through a tantrum and say I am done, I want him home NOW. That didn't mean I didn't go ask for help, have some cookies, it meant that I didn't throw the towel. That I think is what has made me successful.

My second biggest key is that my husband and I have a joint goal. Our goal is to be able to early retire at 44 and 42 (which is what I don't give up working towards as discussed in 1) and sail around the world. The eye on this prize has allowed us to stay focus and turn every crazy or lemon situation into lemonaid.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    My biggest key to success is that failure/giving up is not an option. Sure I scratch things that don't work. Put myself out and try new thing and reaccess and redo when they don't work but I don't fail. I think a lot of this is training as a military wife. My husband completed a 10 month deployment from 2014-2015 and a lot of things happened. The thing was I couldn't once through a tantrum and say I am done, I want him home NOW. That didn't mean I didn't go ask for help, have some cookies, it meant that I didn't throw the towel. That I think is what has made me successful.

    My second biggest key is that my husband and I have a joint goal. Our goal is to be able to early retire at 44 and 42 (which is what I don't give up working towards as discussed in 1) and sail around the world. The eye on this prize has allowed us to stay focus and turn every crazy or lemon situation into lemonaid.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    I think those books are garbage because they are using fairly legitimate self improvement advice to sell real estate hype/lies.

    It's great that you value goals, willpower, planning, etc.  I do the same thing.  It's important for life success.  If you add business acumen and cash (contrary to what those hype books tell you), you can do well in real estate.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

    My biggest key to success is that failure/giving up is not an option. Sure I scratch things that don't work. Put myself out and try new thing and reaccess and redo when they don't work but I don't fail. I think a lot of this is training as a military wife. My husband completed a 10 month deployment from 2014-2015 and a lot of things happened. The thing was I couldn't once through a tantrum and say I am done, I want him home NOW. That didn't mean I didn't go ask for help, have some cookies, it meant that I didn't throw the towel. That I think is what has made me successful.

    My second biggest key is that my husband and I have a joint goal. Our goal is to be able to early retire at 44 and 42 (which is what I don't give up working towards as discussed in 1) and sail around the world. The eye on this prize has allowed us to stay focus and turn every crazy or lemon situation into lemonaid.

     Very cool! Do you guys review other goals together and review the progress on your current goal throughout the year?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Stone Teran:

    I think those books are garbage because they are using fairly legitimate self improvement advice to sell real estate hype/lies.

    It's great that you value goals, willpower, planning, etc.  I do the same thing.  It's important for life success.  If you add business acumen and cash (contrary to what those hype books tell you), you can do well in real estate.

     Are you talking about Think and Grow Rich? 

    That is not even a real estate book. It is a book written about 70 years ago on success. 

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

    My biggest key to success is that failure/giving up is not an option. Sure I scratch things that don't work. Put myself out and try new thing and reaccess and redo when they don't work but I don't fail. I think a lot of this is training as a military wife. My husband completed a 10 month deployment from 2014-2015 and a lot of things happened. The thing was I couldn't once through a tantrum and say I am done, I want him home NOW. That didn't mean I didn't go ask for help, have some cookies, it meant that I didn't throw the towel. That I think is what has made me successful.

    My second biggest key is that my husband and I have a joint goal. Our goal is to be able to early retire at 44 and 42 (which is what I don't give up working towards as discussed in 1) and sail around the world. The eye on this prize has allowed us to stay focus and turn every crazy or lemon situation into lemonaid.

     Very cool! Do you guys review other goals together and review the progress on your current goal throughout the year?

     We don't have meeting a monthly per say we just discuss it often as it comes up to making life decisions, when I get frustrated, etc, etc.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

    My biggest key to success is that failure/giving up is not an option. Sure I scratch things that don't work. Put myself out and try new thing and reaccess and redo when they don't work but I don't fail. I think a lot of this is training as a military wife. My husband completed a 10 month deployment from 2014-2015 and a lot of things happened. The thing was I couldn't once through a tantrum and say I am done, I want him home NOW. That didn't mean I didn't go ask for help, have some cookies, it meant that I didn't throw the towel. That I think is what has made me successful.

    My second biggest key is that my husband and I have a joint goal. Our goal is to be able to early retire at 44 and 42 (which is what I don't give up working towards as discussed in 1) and sail around the world. The eye on this prize has allowed us to stay focus and turn every crazy or lemon situation into lemonaid.

     Very cool! Do you guys review other goals together and review the progress on your current goal throughout the year?

     We don't have meeting a monthly per say we just discuss it often as it comes up to making life decisions, when I get frustrated, etc, etc.

     Haha, I think it would help if you had a monthly meeting to not just discuss that goal, but other goals you have as well. Then maybe you won't get frustrated as much!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Stone Teran:

    I think those books are garbage because they are using fairly legitimate self improvement advice to sell real estate hype/lies.

    It's great that you value goals, willpower, planning, etc.  I do the same thing.  It's important for life success.  If you add business acumen and cash (contrary to what those hype books tell you), you can do well in real estate.

     Are you talking about Think and Grow Rich? 

    That is not even a real estate book. It is a book written about 70 years ago on success. 

     Ah OK, my apologies, I'm not familiar with that particular book.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

    My biggest key to success is that failure/giving up is not an option. Sure I scratch things that don't work. Put myself out and try new thing and reaccess and redo when they don't work but I don't fail. I think a lot of this is training as a military wife. My husband completed a 10 month deployment from 2014-2015 and a lot of things happened. The thing was I couldn't once through a tantrum and say I am done, I want him home NOW. That didn't mean I didn't go ask for help, have some cookies, it meant that I didn't throw the towel. That I think is what has made me successful.

    My second biggest key is that my husband and I have a joint goal. Our goal is to be able to early retire at 44 and 42 (which is what I don't give up working towards as discussed in 1) and sail around the world. The eye on this prize has allowed us to stay focus and turn every crazy or lemon situation into lemonaid.

     Very cool! Do you guys review other goals together and review the progress on your current goal throughout the year?

     We don't have meeting a monthly per say we just discuss it often as it comes up to making life decisions, when I get frustrated, etc, etc.

     Haha, I think it would help if you had a monthly meeting to not just discuss that goal, but other goals you have as well. Then maybe you won't get frustrated as much!

    My frustration is over thing like us not getting military orders quick enough for my liking, not knowing where we are going, things that I have no control over lol. That's why we than review our plan because it is the thing I am in control of lol!

  • Camron CottamPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Naugatuck, CT · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    I am a huge believer in mindset as well! Ask any of my friends and they would say they've heard me say this thousands of times. Although I don't meditate, being positive and having a positive mindset is something I strongly believe will bring me success in my future. I am working on setting long term and short term goals, as well as keeping a daily routine to some extent. 

    Great post

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Camron Cottam:

    I am a huge believer in mindset as well! Ask any of my friends and they would say they've heard me say this thousands of times. Although I don't meditate, being positive and having a positive mindset is something I strongly believe will bring me success in my future. I am working on setting long term and short term goals, as well as keeping a daily routine to some extent. 

    Great post

     Thanks Camron!

    meditation is hard for me, because I always want to be active and doing stuff, but it is great to relax and calm me down. I need to do more of it. 

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Agreed!!  I go to the gym 5-6x per week which is my getaway.  I have a family and due to those priorities, I may miss a day or two and feel it throws me off my game.  I work in sales now and it gets stressful so it really helps me clear my mind and bring back my focus to keep working towards my end goal!

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    i found 'begin with the end in mind' (Habit 2) of 7 Habits of Highly effective people, helpful.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bhekizwe M.:

    i found 'begin with the end in mind' (Habit 2) of 7 Habits of Highly effective people, helpful.

     That is really helpful! That is one thing think and grow Rich has reminded me. 

  • Property Manager · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Hi Mark! I always enjoy your posts. I 100% agree that goals and mindset are critical to success. When I started in 2007, I wrote down a real estate investment goal that I thought was outrageously enormous. I completely internalized it; revisited it nightly, broke it down into smaller annual goals ... and long story short, I crushed it! Made it happen two years ahead of time.

    I tend to obsess and worry a lot, so this year my goal is to internalize and appreciate the fact that my goals are met, real estate has made me financially independent, and it's time to enjoy! Sometimes we get so caught up in achieving more, we forget to appreciate what we have!

    Good luck to everyone in 2016!

    PS - I didn't quit investing ... I closed on a SF in November, finished the reno, and have it rented for Feb 15. I close on another next week - on Jan 20. I'm just going to *try* to take my time and enjoy this next one! It's a 10 room Victorian with original tin ceilings ... I'm going to make it STUNNING, and have fun with it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.