Finished my First Deal in Portland, Oregon - WIN

Finished my First Deal in Portland, Oregon - WIN

General Contractor & Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 33 votes

I’m so excited to finally share the results of my first Rehab/Sale deal. I hesitate to call it a ‘flip’ considering that we held the project for just over a year. This has been quite a year and I’ve put countless hours into this project (ok I could count them, but I don’t want to). It was a hell of an experience. I got married a week after we bought the house and jumped right into it after our brief 4 day ‘mini-moon’ on the Oregon coast.

Since it’s the first thing everyone want’s to know; Here are the numbers:

Home Specs:

Before – 2 Bed, 1 Bath; After - 4 bed, 3.5 bath

Purchase Price of House: $365,438

Total Rehab Costs (incl. architect, engineer, & permitting): $336,888

Soft Costs/Holding Costs: $8,774

Total Purchase and Project Costs: $711,100

Final Sale Price of House ($55K over asking): $885,000

Realtor Fees: $42,038

Gross Profit for Project: $131,863

Funding Source: Private Lender

The duration of the project from acquisition to design, land use review, historic committee, construction and final sale was just over 13 months.

I’m going to chalk this one up as a WIN.

As much as I would like to say “hey look how awesome I am!” I think it’s best to take a step back and look at the realities of the situation and what led to this result.

Portland is a HOT market right now and sales have gone up in this neighborhood by approximately 19% in the last year. So that means this house sold for roughly $100k more than what we set our ARV at when we bought the house.

Here’s the fun part; I spent $100k more on the project than I estimated when we bought the house. And I’m a contractor so I do estimates for a living, and I’m good at it. What happened here? Optimism. Telling myself what I wanted to hear. Saying to myself “I don’t think this part of the project will really cost THAT much.” “I can do this part faster than I did it last time.” Yeah sure you can buddy. We also had the typical surprises (extra costs) you might expect to run into on a 100-year-old house.

So in a flat market this deal would have made me $30K. Not bad you say? That' just over a 4% ROI. If the stock market had performed the way it did in 2014 with an 11% return, it would have been really crappy for the investor that funded the project.

So I got lucky you say? Maybe. I’ve been doing construction for over 15 years and it’s not luck that I can make an incredibly beautiful and well thought out home out of a turd. I spent the year prior to acquiring this deal reading A LOT on Bigger Pockets, practicing deal analysis, writing a business plan and putting my team together.

I firmly believe in the phrase “Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.”

I fully realize that this project could have gone another way in a different market. If this was 2007, I would have lost my shorts on this deal. That’s why I’m not jumping up and down and patting myself on the back. I did some things right, and I did some things wrong. If we are honest with ourselves about our successes and failures we can learn WAY more from experiences like this and how to do things better and SMARTER in the future.

The take-aways on this project:

  1. 1.  Do NOT kid yourself about what it’s going to cost to rehab a house. If it looks like a ton of expensive work, IT’S A TON OF EXPENSIVE WORK.
  2. 2.  DO make the house a knock-out. We made sure that this house got the wow factor response when you saw it from the street and again when you walked in the door. That’s why we had 3 offers all over asking and an accepted bid at the end of day 2 on the market.
  3. 3.  Have a good team. We had an awesome architect on this job and my agent is also an investor/developer. We made a plan and followed it.
  4. 4.  Check your numbers as you go. When I started seeing the costs creep on the construction I went back to my spreadsheets and looked at the results to see how our plan was being affected. I pulled comps every week to see if things were tracking correctly to make up the cost over-runs.
  5. 5.  Do something extra that they won’t find at another house. I am a building science nerd and this house was a testing ground of sorts. I used some advanced materials and techniques that I’ve never seen on any other flip houses. We have very high insulation values and air tightness. We had an energy audit upon completion that verified that this 100-year-old house is now more efficient than a brand new code built home. People responded to these features and that excites me. It also makes me feel like I’m doing something good for my planet.
  6. 6.  Thank the people that helped you. I could not have completed this project with out my team: My lender, my crew, my agent, my designer, my subcontractors, and the buyers. But most importantly my super awesome supportive wife who would go over to the house and do whatever needed to be done including bring me pizza when I was installing trim and cabinets at 11:00 at night. Thank you!
3Reply
13 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Keystone Heights, FL · Member since 2015 · 340 posts · 118 votes
    10y

    Epic win!

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    Congrats on the rehab/sale success.keep it up

  • New Canaan, CT · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    This is an inspiring post. Love the quote about luck! Thank you.

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Awesome job! Congrats!

    But, I'm sure you learned more from this flip than any other deal. In the future, would you rather focus on working ON the business rather than IN? (Project oversee vs. doing the work yourself)

    Or do you enjoy being involved in the actual work? Just curious. Once again, that return is awesome!

  • General Contractor & Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joe Kooner:

    Awesome job! Congrats!

    But, I'm sure you learned more from this flip than any other deal. In the future, would you rather focus on working ON the business rather than IN? (Project oversee vs. doing the work yourself)

    Or do you enjoy being involved in the actual work? Just curious. Once again, that return is awesome!

     Joe,

    Great point you have.  I'm in the process of transitioning to the 'Working On' my business phase.  I started as a carpenter in college, them became a PM for larger contractor, then started my own company three years ago.  We have gone from just me and my partner doing all the work and estimating to having 5 employees.  It's a marathon not a race.

    Since I'm a full time general contractor, I do feel the need to do a little work myself at times.  I also firmly believe that to be a great contractor you have understand all the aspects of the building process in order to teach others to do it properly.  It also shows a good team mentality when I take off my nice shirt, grab my tool bags out of the truck (the tool bags are ALWAYS in the truck) and jump in the trenches with my team. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Isaac Frost  soft costs were tax's insurance utls closing costs I imagine.

    where do you factor in your cost of capital.. or when you say private investor. .did you have a cash partner. and he got paid out of the 131k profit. ?

    set up as a HML which is much of your competition here in PDX market you would have had 75 or better in interest and points... so net would have been that much less..

    I have seen that many times when I was lending in PDX these big deals go way to long and interest eats you alive.. ( well goes in my pocket LOL )

    Good job with having the private investor ... I am sure unless I am not reading this correctly that is what made this deal a       WIN

    Frothy PDX market no doubt.. I am doing a pop top right now as well similar numbers on the buy but 150k less on rehab. so see how we do.. Its my first pop top deal in PDX

  • General Contractor & Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs You got it right ; )

    Yes, my investor/partner took half the proceeds. So If I had a HML 12% I would have only ended up with 34% of the gross profit. Which still would have been fine. I may go that route in the future. If I can prove a consistent track record of making money on similar deals, I'm hoping my services will be of interest to more investors. Time will tell.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Isaac Frost  track record is important..

    with a HML you would have needed probably 100 to 150k of your own money to take this one down.. Maybe a little less.

    I am working on a hybrid for guys like you... IE hybrid funding ... its hard for me to do my usual all cash deals in this high of price point.. but if I can marry some bank debt with it at 6% of drawn funds cost of capital gets better.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.