1 success and one miserable failure. My baseball analogy

1 success and one miserable failure. My baseball analogy

Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 7 votes

So we bought a house back in 2005 in Vancouver, Wa. that's basically a suburb of Portland, Or. Don't say that to someone from Vancouver they will not agree. I grew up in Vancouver so I'll say what it is, part of the Portland metro area. So this was the top of the housing boom at the time. We bought it near downtown Vancouver for 150K and sold it a year later for 199K. Not bad for one year. We proceeded to buy another house, much bigger on the other side of town, in Orchards, if your familiar with the Couve. This new house we bought for 234K. We did not use a VA loan, which I am eligible for. We used a No doc, stated income, ugly loan. I know, your what your saying... what an idiot. We sold it in a short sale, which I did not even know we could do. But we got out of it with one success and one miserable failure. But if I were playing baseball I'd be batting .500 and that ain't bad!

That's it that's that's my analogy. I will say that I learned more form that mistake than any of the books that I've read since. I know I will not make that mistake again. I was very reluctant to even buy the house we just bought. 

So we moved to Bend, Or. in 2011 for a new job. We found this house to rent. The owners were buying it in a short sale as well. So we rented it for about 4 years until we decided we were in a position to buy again. Bend Currently is a growing market. Houses are selling and it's a bit hot as far I'm aware. So I was reluctant. I didn't want to over pay again. So we called the owners, whom my wife had a great relationship with, she spoke with them often. So we offered to buy it. They said OK and we, my wife, negotiated the price under what other houses were selling for since we weren't using a real estate agent they agreed on the price. We used a VA loan and I feel much better about this than the last two. So my point here is if you're renter ask you landlord or the owner if they'll sell you never know.

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y

@Jeff Quintanilla  you were blessed doubly because in the year you did the short sale the IRS had a moratorium on issuing 1099C for short sales and debt forgiveness.. this is the one instance were Uncle actually was thinking about the average American who found themselves in an upside down situation.

things have bounced back I bought a rental in orchards at the peak 209k rented for 1k.. I know most will think we are nuts but I am an appreciation and value add investor basically. that house went down to 150k but its now back up to 260k.. I had an ugly loan so the payment was only 500 a month so even with only 1k in rent I still cash flowed about 200... as of course we can self manage on the west coast... So 10 years property went down 50 then back up 100k.. LOL.. its all when you sell.

good luck on your bend deal.. lots of folks would love to live there that's for sure.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 38 votes
    10y

    Agreed, just had a conversation with our land lord and he is ready to sell to us!  As a Realtor in the Portland metro I am fully aware of how difficult it is to buy a home in this market and from I understand Bend is pretty similar at the moment.  So at the very least you saved yourself some headaches.  Congrats on your purchase, Bend is a great place! 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Jeff Quintanilla  you were blessed doubly because in the year you did the short sale the IRS had a moratorium on issuing 1099C for short sales and debt forgiveness.. this is the one instance were Uncle actually was thinking about the average American who found themselves in an upside down situation.

    things have bounced back I bought a rental in orchards at the peak 209k rented for 1k.. I know most will think we are nuts but I am an appreciation and value add investor basically. that house went down to 150k but its now back up to 260k.. I had an ugly loan so the payment was only 500 a month so even with only 1k in rent I still cash flowed about 200... as of course we can self manage on the west coast... So 10 years property went down 50 then back up 100k.. LOL.. its all when you sell.

    good luck on your bend deal.. lots of folks would love to live there that's for sure.

  • Real Estate Agent · vancouver , WA · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Jeff

    I never look at the price that is where most investors go wrong they get a great deal bought it for 100 its worth 150 but it does not cash and coasts them monthly and when thing go wrong they are in real trouble. Friends and I have over 10 properties and rent the house they live in because they chose to live in a area that does not cash flow. I live in Vancouver and have rented for the past 3 years since my rent was lower than the payment I would have if I bought rents have gone up and interest rates have gone down  so I built my home but before I did I looked at the math $450,000 was the coast to build payment is $1800 and it would rent if I had to for $2800 so it made sense even if rents go down 30% I could break even. as a bonus it is now valued at $570,000.

    The point though is if you have good cash flow it does not matter if values go up or down you can keep it until they are up.

  • Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Hey Jon thanks for the reply. I was a little nervous how people would respond to my post. I've only gotten a few. But I grew up in Vancouver I'm really familiar with area. I delivered newspapers as a kid and even delivered pizzas there not long ago. 

    Anyway are you saying that rents are lower in Vancouver right now than what a mortgage would be? Is there a demand for rental properties. I am looking for a place to invest. How about Longview is that a market to buy rental property? I only ask because of the mill and the port there to sustain jobs.

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Hey, Jeff, thanks for posting about your experiences.

    Since you asked about Longview and I live and invest there, thought I'd jump in.

    It cash flows much better than the Vancouver and Seattle markets.  I do think there is plenty of risk, though.  From what I can tell, the only people who want to live in Longview are people who have always lived in Longview.  White collar employees will not relocate there, they leave their families somewhere more desirable and get an apartment for the weekdays.  The recent water quality issues and the poor schools reinforce that.  The area is desirable for people on a fixed income, since there are a lot of services here and housing is relatively cheap.

    It's a real shame, because Longview does have a lot to offer - small town charm, I-5 accessibility.

    That said, I do provide support to folks kicking the tires in Longview - neighborhoods, driving by properties, meet for coffee, etc.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.