Seller financing on a 5.5 million deal

Seller financing on a 5.5 million deal

Investor · Vancouver, BC · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone,

I've come across a situation where I met a very elderly gentlemen who owns quite a substantial portfolio of commercial properties.  His is widowed and all his kids have no interest in his business.  Not only that but they are scattered all over the US.

He has offered to sell his portfolio to me for $5.5 million.  The numbers make sense and the properties are solid.  He has even offered to seller finance 1.5 million.  Seems like a dream come true!

Now here is where I get pinched and wake up to reality.  I have bought multi family buildings and whenever I approach my lender about seller financing the answer is always 
"Can't do it. The banks don't like it.  I know banks don't like it but is there a way around it?

Is there a way for me to get 75% financing and keep the 25% seller financing?

Secondly, I am a person who generally likes to help people.  I have listened to some of his stories and I am still trying to grasp what he wants to do with his sales proceeds.  He's in his late 80s and he tells me he just wants to sell cause he doesn't have much time left.

Anyone have a good way to structure this deal?

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Watertown, MA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 77 votes
    10y

    Hi Eugene,

         I think you can look for private money or bring in an equity partner on the deal. The banks always want to be in first position. Good luck and I'm curious to see what you come up with.

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 354 posts · 149 votes
    10y

    Stop talking to big banks, they have their set guidelines and they wont go around it. You need a small local bank that manage investments for themselves, then you can get in and talk to a decision maker. 

    As long as they are in first position, AND you have skin in the game (seller financing doesn't count) then you have a deal. Your best option is to tie it up on contract and try and wholesale it, or find yourself a money partner and split the profits 50/50. You do the work and management he brings in the 20% needed for skin in the game (and it should just be 20% of the bank loan at $3.5M instead of $5M which will make a difference. Set up terms that make it so you don't have to pay out the seller financing for a few years and hopefully you can refinance after a few years and pay off the last bit. 

    That is my 2 cents. Hope this deal works for you! Sounds like a good one!

  • Mark SpidellPro Member
    Glenwood Springs, CO · Member since 2012 · 127 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Very excited for you.  You might consider analyzing each of the various properties.  Some might be easier to finance than others via a commercial loan.  For those that are not as easy, you can get more creative.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.