Brought my first Property in Middletown NY, Orange County NY

Brought my first Property in Middletown NY, Orange County NY

Rental Property Investor 路 Bronx, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 16 posts 路 6 votes

I have been a member of bigger pockets for maybe 2 years. I just recently purchased my first rental property in Middletown NY. It's a 3 bed 1 and half bath townhouse. Interesting thing about this property is that for the past year I was about to buy three different properties in the same community for double the price I eventually paid for the one I now own. The first one I looked at the same community, the same 3 beds 1/2 Bass it was selling 64,000 I made an all-cash offer of 45,000 my offer was rejected. The second time I looked at a property in the community it was the same and it was listed for 79 it needed maybe 10,000 and repairs to get it back up to market value. These units rent 1450.In the mean time I waited. Kept my eye on the MLS, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com and all the auction sites I heard or read about. I stumbled on an auction site Hudson and Marshall. I saw one of the townhouses come up for sale that I was looking at. Starting bid of 17,000. I was shocked, NO WAY! I waited till the last day of the auction and at that point it was still a 17,000 it seem no one was bidding on it. Knowing what I was about to pay for the previous ones I decided that I was going to buy this one I put in my bid on the last hour of the last day of the auction, As soon as I Put in 17,500 someone bid against me. We went all the way up to 27,000 that is the price I paid for it plus 2500 for the auction house for the sale. So I purchased it for 27000. There was a tenant in there so I knocked on the door express to them that I just purchased the property and I would like to know if they were interested in staying because if they wanted to stay I would work with them. I knew was going to be hard to get them out immediately so I made an agreement with them that if we can get along and I fix some stuff and they paid rent on time we would be great. By working with each other to make sure that is a win win. Took me 2 months to close on the property. In the two months while waiting I communicated constantly with the tenant, She send me pictures of the place so I could get an idea of the repairs that are needed once I closed. I closed on February 29th and I went I collected my first rent March first for 1200 here's how everything been working so far I made an agreement with the tenant to fix some of the problems they had because the previous landlord wouldn't the previous landlord we collecting rent on a bank own property. He was charging them $1,000 so I told them that I would take 1200 and they will work with me on the repairs but so far has been a good experience but had a few hiccups but I'm pretty sure we will figure it out soon. A Huge thank you the Bigger Pockets community for the information provided you guys made a huge difference in in my understand of investment properties. Anyone in orange county NY.

4Reply
56 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 238 posts 路 101 votes
    10y

    @Derick O.  Congratulations on closing your first deal!  Thanks for sharing and good luck in your future investments  :)

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Bronx, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 16 posts 路 6 votes
    10y
  • Lender 路 NY/FL 路 Member since 2013 路 240 posts 路 44 votes
    10y

    @Derick O. Congrats on your purchase, that is cheap for NY. Is there an HOA?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Bronx, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 16 posts 路 6 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Nick G. Yep its 45 minutes from NY city. No HOA.

  • Lender 路 NY/FL 路 Member since 2013 路 240 posts 路 44 votes
    10y

    @Derick O. Sounds like a great deal, what type of repairs are you estimating?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Bronx, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 16 posts 路 6 votes
    10y

    @Nick G. Already replaced the front door it wouldn't lock. Bathroom need to be resealed. Have to replace a cabinet in the kitchen and they need a new stove. That is about it

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Ramapo, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 243 posts 路 108 votes
    9y

    @Derick O., any updates? How is your rental in Middletown going 10 months in? Have you acquired any more properties?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Bronx, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 16 posts 路 6 votes
    9y

    Property is going great. I have a great family in there. They have been consistent on rents. I love it looking to buy more.

  • Middletown, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 2 posts 路 0 votes
    9y

    hi. My husband and I are going to rent out our current home in the city of Middletown. How much do you think we could get for a remodeled 2 bedroom home in the city of Middletown? It has a decent yard and is updated nicely.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Bronx, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 16 posts 路 6 votes
    9y

    hi @Deanna Lofrese rent or sale? If you PM me the address I can get you more information.

  • Property Manager 路 Middletown, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 26 posts 路 20 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Deanna Lofrese:

    hi. My husband and I are going to rent out our current home in the city of Middletown. How much do you think we could get for a remodeled 2 bedroom home in the city of Middletown? It has a decent yard and is updated nicely.

     Is it a single family home? Or a duplex?

    I manage properties all over Middletown, and can help you out if you're looking for someone to manage it for you. 

  • MD 路 Member since 2017 路 24 posts 路 7 votes
    9y

    @Derick O. Congratulations ! Thats a wonderful story and a steal.  Its great that you were able to get the price for one house for only 27k , work with the tenant and collect rent for $1200.  Much more success to you.

  • Investor 路 New York, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 40 posts 路 9 votes
    9y

    Hi Derick,My name is Felix ,and i just started (Newbie) and im from orange county (New Windsor NY).about 30 min from you.I would like some advise from you on how you started.I would appreciate your advice.What did you use ,Hard/Private money lenders or did you go threw a bank ?And congrats on your rental.Hope to hear from you soon bud.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Goshen, NY 路 Member since 2014 路 41 posts 路 27 votes
    9y

    Hey Derick how did this turn out? Looks like a success story in the making! Thinking about getting started in Middletown

  • Rental Property Investor 路 New York, NY 路 Member since 2019 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    7y

    @Derick O. Congrats on your new property. Hope Buy more 馃檹

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.