Dallas Newbie Needing Advice on Potential Deal!

Dallas Newbie Needing Advice on Potential Deal!

Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes

Hi guys, 

I'm new to real estate investing (only 24), but I've been reading non-stop for the last year and listening to the biggerpockets podcasts religiously. I was originally looking to buy a Duplex in Dallas and house hack, but I've found the options for duplex's to be slim around these parts. So I've started to look into cashflowing SFH's that I could buy and move into with my current two roommates for a year, then move and rent out fully. I recently stumbled upon a 3 bed 2 bath HUD foreclosure that had very interesting numbers.

Asking Price: $93000 (Mortgage would be ~$350 @ 3.88 interest)

Rent/Mo: $1350 ($1215 w/10% vacancy) or $900 ($810 w/10% vacancy) when I'm living there and renting to my roommates 

Taxes: ~$190

Insurance: ~$100  

Avg. Capex/ Year: $183 (Should cover regular maintenance and large capex costs over time)

This house definitely needs some repairs, but I think I can use this as an opportunity to employ the BRRR strategy! Comps in that area are going for between $130-$140K. Unfortunately, I have little to no knowledge on the cost to renovate a place like this. I can tell you the kitchen and the bathrooms need remodeling though (simply old and outdated). However, if I can do these renovations for a reasonable price and possibly even use a 203k loan for them, I think I could refinance and make a decent chunk of change before I move in and begin renting to my roommates.

I know the renovation costs are a big piece to this puzzle, so if anyone has any advice on how I can get good ballpark figures I would definitely appreciate it.  Other than that, please let me know your thoughts on the deal, good, bad or indifferent. 

Thanks so much!

1Reply
9 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 263 votes
    10y

    @Kelton Johnson It really depends on the level of renovations. Rough ballpark I would expect to spend about $20/sf to do a full cosmetic rehab with basic materials (kitchen, baths, floors, paint, fixtures, etc.)

    If you separate it out, I would say maybe $5k for typical bathroom gut, $10-15k for kitchen gut.

    What area of Dallas is this in? Those are pretty good numbers.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    The property is in the Garland area. I'm not sure I would do premium finishes since it's a pretty middle class area, but it at least has nice hardwood floors. The cabinets and countertops in general are just dated, I think that and replacing the appliances would be the biggest things.
  • Rod HanksBusiness Member
    Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
    10y
    Kelton Johnson HUD homes usually have an inspection report with known deficiencies listed. It would be hard to guess without at least knowing what needs repaired. Generally cosmetics like paint, carpet and changing faucets would be 5k. But roof, HVAC, electrical, and foundation could really drive up the costs.
    Rod Hanks Insurance4.9153 Reviews
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Rod, I've taken a look at the report and it appears that most of the major stuff is alright. The bank doesn't have the utilities on, however, they were tested with a generator and seem to be in working order. The biggest thing is the walls have tons of marks and scuffs on them, and the cabinets/countertops are busted up. The bones seem decent on this place, but still needs a lot of cosmetic work.
  • Rod HanksBusiness Member
    Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
    10y

    @Kelton Johnson

    I pulled it up and it doesn't look like it needs much work. I would say 8k for paint, sheetrock repair and make ready. Of course if you want to replace counter tops, cabinets and upgrade bathroom you could easily spend another $10-15k, but a rental ready rehab would just be about 8k. 

    Here are a few comps in the same subdivision: 

    4114 Justice Lane Garland $141,500   1554 sf

    4201 Tynes Drive Garland $152,000   1641 sf

    4030 Sweetbriar Drive Garland $124,900 1390 sf

    The subject property is only 1378 sf so that puts the value at $125,000

    A big plus is it's in Richardson ISD which would make it very easy to rent or sell down the road.

    As a slow house hack, I would say it's a go.

    I'm a HUD broker so if you want me to put the offer in for you PM me.

    Rod Hanks Insurance4.9153 Reviews
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Rod Hanks 

    Thanks for the input, I've PM'ed you with a few new details I found on the house.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.