How does live-in flipping affect cash-on-cash calculations?

How does live-in flipping affect cash-on-cash calculations?

Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes

As an exercise, and to practice running the numbers, I decided to evaluate the investment potential of the house I currently live in and treat it like a live-in flip. (It was purchased new 3 years ago and we have been doing a ton of work to finish it inside and out.) Knowing that I probably didn't include some of the costs that should be included in cash-on-cash returns analysis, I was shocked to find that we were at -14%. Then, it occurred to me that it might not be necessary/appropriate to include such costs as mortgage, utilities, etc. because, after all, we have to live somewhere. If, on the other hand, this house was purchased solely for flipping while we lived in another house - none of the expenses of our residence would be considered in these calculations, right? Of course, the incentive in flipping, normally, is to do it as quickly as possible to minimize costs associated with mortgage, utilities, upkeep while it is being flipped. In our current situation, we have been in this house for an "extended" flip you could say. (It was never intended as a flip in the first

So the question is - is it appropriate to omit certain cash outflows with a live-in flip if the property is the sole residence?

Thanks.

0Reply
26 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John PowellPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2015 · 307 posts · 153 votes
    10y

    I would say that 3 years worth of mortgage payments would really throw your numbers off. It may be more reasonable to include the mortgage, utilities ect for the amount of time it would have taken to do the flip if it were not live in. At the same time you can't completely remove those calculations from the equation because you would have to have those expenses to do a flip just not as long.

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @John Powell True... and yes, only including, say, 1 year of expenses or 6 months (we did a lot of stuff) would be a better picture. Even so, it was our primary residence. And because I am considering doing future live-in flips (after selling this house) - I'm wondering about the calculations in that circumstance. 

  • John PowellPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2015 · 307 posts · 153 votes
    10y

    I would say 6 months max. I'm in the process of doing my first live in flip now and I would do it again but my wife will not. What we did last time was buy a house and do the full Rehab prior to moving in. It turned out well and we go to actually enjoy the nice house not the construction zone.   

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    I'm also going to post this in another area of the forums...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.