Purchased my first property!

Purchased my first property!

Investor · Playa Del Rey, CA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 46 votes

I just purchased my first property ever thanks to BiggerPockets! It's a B-class duplex in Texas that needed very little work to be ready to rent. Purchased it for $194k and closed my funding on June 1 and put up ads for rent. By June 3rd we have applications for both sides at the rent I was asking with some potentially great tenants. Gross income is $2400, PITI is about $1200. After debt & 8% capex/maintenance & 8% maintenance, the cash flow comes out to a little over $800/mo. All utilities are metered completely separate and tenants are taking care of the small yard. Super excited!!

12Reply
84 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 131 votes
10y

@Gabriel H. Congrats! I hope it all goes well. How did you finance the deal? What is your next step?

Regards,

Allen Fletcher

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Congrats!!! Good deal for your first time!!!
  • Engineer · Carlsbad/San Diego · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 97 votes
    10y

    @Gabriel H. Congrats! Why Amarillo? Looks like mainly defense related jobs. Was lack of diversity a factor? 

  • Home Stager · San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2016 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    omg!! the bells are clanging, the trumpets blaring and the high-fives are aplenty!! kudos and congratulations!! whooo-hoo!!!   :))   awesome news!!

  • Amarillo, TX · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Gabriel H. Congratulations! That's awesome you closed on your first deal and it was a success. We definitely could use more success stories like yours here in Amarillo! Good luck and God Speed!
  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y

    Wow on this deal!!

  • Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 29 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Hersh M.:

    @Gabriel H. Congrats! Why Amarillo? Looks like mainly defense related jobs. Was lack of diversity a factor? 

     Great job on the purchase!! 

    Here's an article that talks about Amarillo's economic strength. I'm biased but I believe it's a great area to invest!

    http://www.myhighplains.com/news/amarillo-ranks-90...

  • Investor · Playa Del Rey, CA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    Thanks all! 

    @Hersh M. - one of the main reasons I chose Amarillo because I have a lot of family there.  My dad and his wife are also RE investors in the area and self manage their properties.  His wife is my realtor and my dad is my PM.  So I already have a great team that I can trust there.

    @Tony Link - thanks for the article!  I'm with you - I'm very happy to be investing in Amarillo.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gabriel H.:

    I just purchased my first property ever thanks to BiggerPockets! It's a B-class duplex in Texas that needed very little work to be ready to rent. Purchased it for $194k and closed my funding on June 1 and put up ads for rent. By June 3rd we have applications for both sides at the rent I was asking with some potentially great tenants. Gross income is $2400, PITI is about $1200. After debt & 8% capex/maintenance & 8% maintenance, the cash flow comes out to a little over $800/mo. All utilities are metered completely separate and tenants are taking care of the small yard. Super excited!!

     I like hearing great success stories with actual numbers. This is a GREAT deal. You were able to get excellent terms. You're insulated against lower rents in the future (no sign of that right now!). I'm jealous! Way to take a big step investing out of town. Who is handling your property management? Why not you!?

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    So awesome!! Congrats on the purchase.
  • Investor · Playa Del Rey, CA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Account Closed!  My dad lives in Amarillo.  He is my boots on the ground there and my property manager.  He invests in MF and SF rentals as well and self-manages 6 of his own properties. When I started looking at something to buy, he offered to manage the property for me for free.

    I don't think I have the personality to be a PM.  I'd be too much of a push-over for tenant sob stories.

  • Summerville, SC · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Gabriel H. your comment:

    lender is first united. Not a local bank, but definitely not one of the bigger ones either. If you don't mind my asking did they finance this deal under an LLC or as a personal mortgage?

  • Investor · Playa Del Rey, CA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    @Alisha Magwood the loan is in my name, not an LLC. I probably won't LLC till I have a few properties under my belt.

  • Los Angeles - Tujunga, CA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Huge Congratulations! How exciting and wonderful that you had such interested renters so soon. Nice going. 

  • Investor · Burbank, CA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Congrats! that's awesome. Good luck.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Great work! Don't forget to work in around 8% for vacancy in your calculations.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Wow! Congrats!  This must be exciting for you! Seeing stories like yours are very inspiring. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.