Investor · Playa Del Rey, CA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 46 votes
I just purchased my first property ever thanks to BiggerPockets! It's a B-class duplex in Texas that needed very little work to be ready to rent. Purchased it for $194k and closed my funding on June 1 and put up ads for rent. By June 3rd we have applications for both sides at the rent I was asking with some potentially great tenants. Gross income is $2400, PITI is about $1200. After debt & 8% capex/maintenance & 8% maintenance, the cash flow comes out to a little over $800/mo. All utilities are metered completely separate and tenants are taking care of the small yard. Super excited!!
Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 5 votes
10y
@Gabriel H. You're off to a great start. $800/month in cash flow is awesome, especially for your first property. How long did it take to put the deal together from the time you first learned of the property? Diito Allen's financing question.
Investor · Playa Del Rey, CA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 46 votes
10y
correction on my original post. 8% maint/capex, 8% vacancy.
Thanks all! I financed using a conventional loan. 25% down at 4.35%. From the time i first analyzed the property till close was a little over a month. But i had already made several offers on several other places before i found this one.
My lender tells me he can fund me again immediately, but i'll probably hold off for another 6 months unless another great deal comes up. So my next steps would be to start over and keep looking for more deals!
Flipper/Rehabber · Boca Raton · Member since 2015 · 231 posts · 81 votes
10y
@THU NGUYEN living in texas why do you want to venture out of state? texas is a great location for any size($) investment you might be looking to make.
sorry if question is none of my business please tell me that. :-)
Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2016 · 109 posts · 46 votes
10y
Hi Nikolas Fereira, just wondering if there is better CF outside of TX. You know how our property tax is so high...maybe there is another state that property tax is cheaper?...Lol
If I may point this out. Do you think an estimate of 8% is enough for both maintanence and capex together. I would have estimated 10% for capex and a separate 5 % for monthly maintanence. Also, any sewer, trash, garbage or water expense that needs to be considered?
@THU NGUYEN - i flew back to walk it during the option period. Also had an inspector pass it with flying colors. Offer was made site unseen. My local agent, who's also a buy and hold investor, walked it for me prior to the offer and gave me the thumbs up.
@Mel K. - lender is first united. Not a local bank, but definitely not one of the bigger ones either. Worked with a great broker. Pm me and i can send you a referral.
@Login George - thanks! The roof is brand new, and the hvac is midlife and the slab is in good shape. The only appliance i'm providing is a stove, which is normal for the area. I went with 8%/8% because thats what other investors who buy similar properties suggested. All utilities are metered separately and handled by the tenants, as is lawn care.
Investor · Playa Del Rey, CA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 46 votes
10y
thanks @Account Closed! Wouldnt have happened if it werent for bigger pockets. This is an incredible resource for those of us whole would otherwise be intimidated by the idea of investing in real estate.
San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 10 votes
10y
Congrats @Gabriel H..! You are exactly where I hope to be soon! I myself am also from California looking to invest in a Texas property. Can I ask you what brought you to the specific area you eventually purchased from? Is it somewhere you've lived before and you knew it was in a good neighborhood? I ask because, frankly, I dont know where to start looking in Texas. Any suggestions?