First Rental Property Deal - Do I have my calculations correct?

First Rental Property Deal - Do I have my calculations correct?

Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hello Everyone, 

I'm very close to closing on my first deal for a SF rental property in Providence, Rhode Island - 4 rooms, 1.5 bath. I've listed my calculations below and am hoping that some of you could chime in to confirm my results and let me know if I may be overlooking anything. Thank you in advance! 

Purchase Price: $250,000
Closing Costs: $2,500
Repairs: N/A (Turnkey)
Expense/Income/Prop Value Increase: 2% increase/year

Monthly Income (Rent): $2,600 
Assumed Cap Rate: 9%
Total Monthly Expenses (Including PIMI): $2,028
 - Mortgage: $955 (assumed 30 year/4.0%) 
 - Taxes: $415
 - Vacancy (5%): $130
- CapEx (5%): $130
 - Insurance: $100
 - Repairs (10%): $260
 - Water/Sewer Bill: $38

Assumed Monthly Cash Flow: $570/month
Cash/Cash ROI Year 1: 13.05% 
Total Return Year 1: 14.81%

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions! Best of luck to everyone out there! 

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by @Stephen Torti:

Hey @Jason Hirko, can you just write out a sample one for me?  Or just take what Casey had and modify it?

 Sure. So Casey is cashflowing $570/month or $6,840 a year. Figure the first year of his mortgage he paid $3000 towards principle. I'd add that to his cash, $9840, then divde into $252,500. Or 3.9% annual return. That's just how'd I'd Look at it.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tzvi BalsamPro Member
    Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    @Casey Tenney 

    Looks good to me.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Your cash on cash return is correct assuming a $50,000 down payment, but how are you calculating your total return? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Casey Tenney, numbers look good. Will you have any expenses for trash, snow removal, or lawn care?

  • Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    I'm curious about that too @Jason Hirko, how do you typically factor that in?

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Torti:

    I'm curious about that too @Jason Hirko, how do you typically factor that in?

     If I were going to calculate total return, I'd take cashflow and add back the amount that went to principle and divide that by my investment, but I'm curious to see how they came up with a 14% total return.

  • Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    Hey @Jason Hirko, can you just write out a sample one for me?  Or just take what Casey had and modify it?

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Torti:

    Hey @Jason Hirko, can you just write out a sample one for me?  Or just take what Casey had and modify it?

     Sure. So Casey is cashflowing $570/month or $6,840 a year. Figure the first year of his mortgage he paid $3000 towards principle. I'd add that to his cash, $9840, then divde into $252,500. Or 3.9% annual return. That's just how'd I'd Look at it.

  • Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Jason Hirko!  This is better than college.

  • CORAL SPRINGS, FL · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    You should use interest rate for investment property which is 4.75-5%.
  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y

    Do you not have home warranty on appliances? If you haven't considered having one, you should. Appliances break and home insurance doesn't cover it. . For a small deductible you can get your appliances repaired or replaced (if the damage is beyond repair). Replacing HVAC or Water Heater can run into 1000s of dollars, and quickly bring you negative cash flow.

    Also, why are you paying water/sewer. If paying for the utilities is in your contract, are you not paying Power and Gas. Just water/sewer? Typically, tenants are the ones who pay for utilities. I was wondering if you missed out something there.

    Additionally, does the property have HOA? Not all properties have HOA. Some do; some don't. If you have HOA your Income statement needs to reflect that.

  • Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    So you're adding in the equity as positive cash flow, got it better now I think.  I just had a second to really think about it.

  • Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    Funny you mention that @Chinmay J., I was just talking with my agent and he was pushing a 13 month warranty on me.  It's $495 all in.  I hadn't heard anything about that and it didn't seem like something I would want so I kind of poo pooed it but maybe I should reconsider.

    I also know him decently well, he is one of my best clients for my full-time gig so I don't think he'd do me dirty.

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y

    @Stephen Torti - No. In fact if a Realtor doesn't mentioned it, he is either too new (in which case he should be working with someone more experienced) or just not a good realtor. Its really a no brainer, but read the details of the policy carefully to see what is covered and what is not. A while back sewer ejector pump in one of my properties went bad, and it was not covered. Their premium policy covered it. I only had basic.  Its really a life saver.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Torti:

    So you're adding in the equity as positive cash flow, got it better now I think.  I just had a second to really think about it.

     Right, because you're gaining that value as well as cash. A lot of people make the mistake of adding in their whole payment, but of course the interest brings you no tangible value. As you get deeper into the loan, that return will go up automatically simply as a function of the amount of your payment paid towards principal increases through the life of the loan.

  • Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Based on what I have seen with my units in Providence, the monthly costs look low.

    • Providence’s owner-occupied property tax rate $19.25 per $1,000 of assessed value and its non-owner-occupied rate is $33.10 per $1,000. In my experience, the city has been diligent in keeping assessed values not far from market values.  If you are renting out the property, you could pay around $8275 in annual taxes ($690 per month).
    • As mentioned above, you may or may not need an HOA fee.
    • As mentioned above, I would use an interest rate in the 4.75% range.
    • I assume tenants will pay electric and gas. Otherwise, add in about $150 for utilities.
    • Based on my experience, the repair cost estimates look ok. Like most in Providence, my properties are very old, but have been renovated many times over the years and have been well kept. While it varies wildly year-to-year and month-to-month, the $260 looks reasonable based on what I have seen.
  • Beloit, WI · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    You sure the cap rate is 9%?

    Using the numbers given to generate your NOI and using a cap rate of 9 percent, the vale of the property is only around $186,000.

    Value = NOI / Cap Rate

    Thus, if Value of the home is truly at $250,000 and your NOI is correct, your cap rate is going to be around 6.7 percent.

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Cole Swartz:

    Thus, if Value of the home is truly at $250,000 and your NOI is correct, your cap rate is going to be around 6.7 percent.

    Why would he care? 

  • Covington, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    @Stephen Torti "This is better than college"....and just as risky.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.