Just closed: a 12-unit apartment complex

Just closed: a 12-unit apartment complex

Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes

I got interested in real estate last summer and joined BiggerPockets. My goal at the time was to own a 5-unit apartment complex "one day," but it came sooner than I expected. We closed on a 12-unit last Friday!

I learned I will be moving to Rochester (NY) this fall, back in February. I was excited about the new position at the University of Rochester, but even more about the prospect of growing our real-estate business. Our first deal was a rehab in Norfolk, VA, but I wanted to get into the rental property/multifamily space. I started analyzing properties, reaching out to brokers, and in the process found the 12-unit on which we eventually closed.

We bought a recently-rehabbed building, all studios. Our investors put down the out-of-pocket costs, while we secured the mortgage. Purchase Price was $353000, with $3000 as credit towards a new boiler. CAP rate, 11.5%. The property appraised for the purchase price.

I am very excited about this, and would like to thank all those whose stories inspired and encouraged us to move forward. It was a parachute jump, in faith. I also want to thank those who answered my questions and made recommendations along the way - your time spent on the forums produced results!

My goal is to own "200 units by the end of 2017...or its equivalent in flips." So far we're 2 deals down, 13 doors - only by the grace of God. 

41Reply
79 views

Most Popular Reply

Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@Chiagozie Fawole, I am so proud of you, way to take action!!!

I buy 100 to 400 unit deals and now that you have a 12 unit under your belt, you will most likely want to go bigger - FASTER!! 

Your goal of 200 units by 12/31/17 is reasonable. What you need to do now is use this 12 unit as massive leverage with your brokers. Call as many as you can and share with them your good news. 

When you now say you own product, brokers will really listen to you as you are proven. Be ready for when the broker asks you "What types of deals are you looking for?"

Have a clear and concise answer ready to go...

Big High Five coming your way!!

See this reply in the discussion

83 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Love reading stories like this @Chiagozie Fawole  I just jumped into real estate and after closing on my first rental, you've inspired me to keep pushing for my first multi-family. Please keep the group updated as you continue to build your portfolio. 

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    @Kurt Gardner @Account Closed in the commercial space, I think having entities is more of the norm. We didn't have any issues to that regard. The bank (the bank's lawyers, I should say) did request specific LLC documents in specific formats though.

  • Indian Trail, NC · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Amazing!!! #CareerGoals

  • Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Congratulations, Way to go !

  • Manchester, TN · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    congrats on closing. Keep up the good work.

  • Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 138 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    Congratulations @Chiagozie Fawole! Truly awesome and inspiring and something to thank God for. Enjoy as I am sure more success is soon to come. 

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    thanks!

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 11 votes
    10y
    Sweet! That's excellent. Great to hear stories like yours.
  • Blainville, Québec · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    congratulations! very nice i am looking for the day that i will able to do it bez"h !!!

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    Congrats!!!!! I am also a newbie who just started last year, now I own 2 Duplexes. My next goal is a small apartment with 5-10 units. This is part of my 2017 goals! :)

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    congrats on your purchases! All the best

  • Rental Property Investor · SF Bay Area · Member since 2015 · 154 posts · 179 votes
    10y

    Congratulations! Very inspirational! But while inspiration is nice and all...:) like the previous poster I would really benefit if you could possibly share a bit more about the numbers of the deal structure, investors and the terms you got?

    PS. Awesome that you can buy 12 units for $350K there! 

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    purchase price $353K; mortgage: 75% LTV amortized over 20years with a 10 year call. Interest rate fixed for 3 years at 5.79% ( we had an option for a lower rate, but it was going to be fixed for just one year and I didn't want to risk that)

    my initial estimate of our out of pocket costs was ~103K, and we raised that, bringing the average investment to ~$20K. We paid taxes up front so the out of pocket costs are a little over that. For the out of pocket costs the investors get 83.3%, Each investor's portion being proportional to their contribution to the total amount. 

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Chiagozie Fawole Congrats and welcome to Rochester NY.  

  • Woodstock, IL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Congratulations! Your story made my day :) I'm getting ready to by my first property learning as much as I can and doing a lot of research.

  • Investor · odense, denmark · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Well done!! Excited to hear about your success! Kind regards Leo
  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y
  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Congrats on your big success! Very inspiring for me

  • Professional · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    interested in your cap stack as well--are your LP's passive in this deal and helping to obtain better debt financing (assuming they have solid liquidity)? How much control did you give to bring them on and what type of splits did they require for the share of equity they contributed? Thanks

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    @Corbin E. my partners are not silent partners. We gave each person a vote weighted on his/her equity position. The financing was based on our financial information. We let the bank know we were getting investors on board for the down payment , but the initial approval was based on our financial information. They required that anyone with greater than 25% equity be on the loan, so we structured our capital raise to keep each person less than 25% - just to avoid the additional delays of gathering the paperwork from them.

  • Agent / Investor · Newark, NJ · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 60 votes
    10y

    Congrats Chagozie Fawole very impressive , Wanna know if the property is fully rented out, what problems you have had with the tenants you inherited . I am asking because I bought a 6 unit last year in Newark Nj which was fully occupied the cash flow was  great when I bought it , but I did not realize 5 of the 6 tenants were on TRA ( temporary Rental Assistance) so even if they each had 6 more months on their  1 year lease their TRA was all expiring the following month after I closed. So The $3000 cash flow i was expecting was gone for 3 months while I had to do 5 evictions  clean out and paint these 5 vacant unit , them get new tenants. Luckily I had no problem replacing the evicated tenants with better quality tenants

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    @Omar Ismael oh wow. We are still in our first cycle of rent collections. As of the middle of last week 3 tenants were late - one with an explanation. One unit was vacant when we closed. That was filled last week. Thank God.

    When we first walked through the property, there was an apartment that had "a lot" if people in it. They moved out before we closed. That vacancy was filled prior to closing.

  • Investor · Murfreesboro, TN · Member since 2013 · 430 posts · 178 votes
    10y
    Amazing job !
  • Dallas · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Wow. Good hustle girl. Keep it up

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thats amazing keep up the good work and keep us posted, glory to God!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.