Just closed: a 12-unit apartment complex

Just closed: a 12-unit apartment complex

Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes

I got interested in real estate last summer and joined BiggerPockets. My goal at the time was to own a 5-unit apartment complex "one day," but it came sooner than I expected. We closed on a 12-unit last Friday!

I learned I will be moving to Rochester (NY) this fall, back in February. I was excited about the new position at the University of Rochester, but even more about the prospect of growing our real-estate business. Our first deal was a rehab in Norfolk, VA, but I wanted to get into the rental property/multifamily space. I started analyzing properties, reaching out to brokers, and in the process found the 12-unit on which we eventually closed.

We bought a recently-rehabbed building, all studios. Our investors put down the out-of-pocket costs, while we secured the mortgage. Purchase Price was $353000, with $3000 as credit towards a new boiler. CAP rate, 11.5%. The property appraised for the purchase price.

I am very excited about this, and would like to thank all those whose stories inspired and encouraged us to move forward. It was a parachute jump, in faith. I also want to thank those who answered my questions and made recommendations along the way - your time spent on the forums produced results!

My goal is to own "200 units by the end of 2017...or its equivalent in flips." So far we're 2 deals down, 13 doors - only by the grace of God. 

41Reply
82 views

Most Popular Reply

Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@Chiagozie Fawole, I am so proud of you, way to take action!!!

I buy 100 to 400 unit deals and now that you have a 12 unit under your belt, you will most likely want to go bigger - FASTER!! 

Your goal of 200 units by 12/31/17 is reasonable. What you need to do now is use this 12 unit as massive leverage with your brokers. Call as many as you can and share with them your good news. 

When you now say you own product, brokers will really listen to you as you are proven. Be ready for when the broker asks you "What types of deals are you looking for?"

Have a clear and concise answer ready to go...

Big High Five coming your way!!

See this reply in the discussion

83 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Port Charlotte · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    This is awesome! I would love to connect with you to get your story on how you started. I recently decided like 2 weeks that I was going to go for it!!
  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    10y

    how difficult was it to find an investor and take out a mortgage out? What does the investor get out of it in these cases? I am interested in a multi unit property i found in Norfolk but I am a newbie in REI. Any advice is welcomed and  appreciated!

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    Sure! I would love to share 

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    @Tiffany S. Although we took out a recourse loan (with personal guarantees), the bank was more concerned about the financials of the property. Talking to investors was the fun part, because it forced me to know the numbers inside-out. Questions from my "would-be" investors even helped me ask more questions, further refining my resolve that the deal was worthwhile, with potential for good profit. 

    There will always be the question "how many of these have you done?" but if you let your numbers speak, it takes the focus off you.

  • NJ · Member since 2016 · 136 posts · 42 votes
    10y
    Chiagozie Fawole Congratulations on your success
  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed thanks!

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Awesome! Congrats and welcome to Rochester!

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y
  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Chiagozie Fawole, I am so proud of you, way to take action!!!

    I buy 100 to 400 unit deals and now that you have a 12 unit under your belt, you will most likely want to go bigger - FASTER!! 

    Your goal of 200 units by 12/31/17 is reasonable. What you need to do now is use this 12 unit as massive leverage with your brokers. Call as many as you can and share with them your good news. 

    When you now say you own product, brokers will really listen to you as you are proven. Be ready for when the broker asks you "What types of deals are you looking for?"

    Have a clear and concise answer ready to go...

    Big High Five coming your way!!

  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    10y

    .

  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    10y

    sorry wrong thread lol @Chiagozie Fawole

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Brian Adams! I'll call them. Yours was one story that inspired me :) 

    Right now my answer is: 50-unit properties in B neighborhoods. CAP rate at least 12%. Minimal rehab.

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Brian Adams! I'll call them. Yours was one story that inspired me :) 

    Right now my answer is: 50-unit underperforming properties in B neighborhoods. CAP rate at least 12%. Minimal rehab.

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington/Texas · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Chiagozie Fawole Congrats!! how was the deal structured for the investor? only cash flow or equity or mix? What is the exit strategy for investor?

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    @Prasad J. our investors put down the out of pocket costs for the purchase, for a defined total equity position. They will share in income and future expenses (if any arises in excess of what we have in reserves), based on their equity. The distributions will only be made after monthly expenses, mortgage and reserves have been satisfied. We own it under an LLC.

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by :

    Right now my answer is: 50-unit properties in B neighborhoods. CAP rate at least 12%.

    What is your strategy for investing in a low demand area to be profitable?

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    As with investing anywhere, location and a proper analysis of cash flow potential . 

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 499 posts · 169 votes
    10y

    What area did you purchase in?  I live in Rochester, NY. I think you will love it here!

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    @Martin Grizzanti it's in Maplewood

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi Chiagozie,

    This is such an incredible story, great !

    I am a newbie and have just started to learn about the real estate business with the expected jitters and turbulence :-) It will be great to connect with you and learn from your success story. I am really inspired and hope this can guide me through the right direction.

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    congrats @Chiagozie Fawole! You'll like it here in Rochester! 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 9 votes
    10y
    That's amazing and congrats!! I own 2 duplexes at the moment but want to go bigger. How did you find your investors?
  • Matteson, IL · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Congratulations! Very inspiring! Keep posting your journey! Thanks!

    Tracy

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Chiagozie Fawole congratulations on the 12-unit! Can you share more about the deal structure with the investors and the terms?
  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 292 posts · 280 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chiagozie Fawole:

    "with $3000 as credit towards a new boiler."

    Way to go, Chiagozie!  

    I saw that you received a credit towards a boiler. Is that boiler replacement needed right now? Or will it make it through one more winter? Or was seeking the concession just precautionary because of the age of the boiler or ???

    If you do replace the boiler, I'm sure that many BP'ers who view the "multi family forum" would love a complete running narrative of the sourcing, installation and costs associated with that boiler replacement. 

    I have three (3) boilers myself. One in an eleven unit building, another in an eleven unit building and another in a seventeen unit building. All three of mine are ancient...

    Again, congratulations. Enjoy the ride. 

    DL

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.