32 Unit Apartment Complex: Is this a deal you would do?

32 Unit Apartment Complex: Is this a deal you would do?

Investor · Morehead City, NC · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 32 votes

Hi Fellow BPers, 

I was looking for some feed back about valuing this 32 unit apartment complex. I feel comfortable analyzing SFH, but I want to learn more about multifamily. So is this a deal you would do, and if not, what would need to change for you to be a buyer. It is a stand alone complex in a B- neighborhood. It is currently 100% occupied (which lacks a "get them all rented" value-add) It has the same owner since the mid eighties and rents are lower than comps. He is renting them for $515 for the single bedrooms and $550 for the two bedroom apartments, which is 50-75$ below market from doing a market analysis of surrounding apartments. My hypothesis is that there could be a magic middle between new units a mile down the street that rent for 1050$ for a 900 sqft two bedroom, and the $550 two bedrooms in this complex with a little upgrading.

I had a meeting with the commercial loan officer, and he said that they typically only loan 65% LTV to newbies-to-apartment-complexes and that he would consider the owner carrying a note for 10% of the purchase price as debt, so I'm pretty much out, but would like to get your feedback. Also, the spreadsheet above uses a 30 amortization, but the lender said 20 years is standard, but the confusing thing is their website says 30yr and 40yr amortization is available. I didn't asked him to clarify before leaving. So where would you have to be to be a buyer.

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

Just like 80% LTV is possible but he's offering you 65%, 30/40 yr amortization is possible but he's only offering 20 yr because you're new to this.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Just like 80% LTV is possible but he's offering you 65%, 30/40 yr amortization is possible but he's only offering 20 yr because you're new to this.

  • Investor · Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2016 · 551 posts · 218 votes
    9y

    Don't stop with just one lender. Go talk to others as you will see your terms will vary from each one. Don't give up, go talk to an HML and see what they can do.

    As far as the deal goes it's not the best deal, but ok. If your numbers are correct you are making $3k a month. The issues that can make this a really good deal are; what can you do to add value? Are these units in good shape? The outside looks good but it's hard to tell in pictures. I like to find value add oppertunities, this includes apartment complexes. You already stated their is room to increase rents, but is that before the units are updated? If you update them can you charge even more? Are there unused rooms that you can turn into more units? Is there a large open area where you can add garages for an extra monthly fee? Extra land included? These are just some of the things that I look for when looking at properties and deals.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    It looks too obvious to me that it's price is specifically based on the "1% rule". So my question would be, what percentage rent does every other (any size) property in the area fetch per month?

    If it's not too difficult to find 1% per month all around the place, my take on it would be: should you put all your (uncomfortably leveraged) eggs into this one basket?

    Yes, you do get SOME economies of scale on SOME capex items in a multi of this size, but still...

  • Investor · Morehead City, NC · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 32 votes
    9y
    Mike Hanneman Thanks for the feedback. Extra room and land are definitely something I'm going to be looking for. I'm going to meet with every local bank in the area and see if any of them will work with me in the future. If it's not this deal, I want to be in the position for the next one. As the apartment complex sits, my research says rents can be raised as leases come up by 50$ a unit. I think the real value add would come in spending 5-10k unit, which from market analysis would bring another 100-150 in rent. I would really like to do one and test the market for 700-800 a month. It's a 1/2 mile over the bridge to the beach, and it's stand a lone. The sign is a ugly brown sign of a fisherman holding a net. I think the value add could be a new modern sign, a modern color, and updated units. Having said that as I'm thinking through this it would probably take another 300k to do that and at $700 a month the monthly rental income would $22,400, and the total cost would be around 2 million.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.