First Flip at 21! Before and After Pics!

First Flip at 21! Before and After Pics!

Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 88 votes

I just completed my FIRST FLIP! The rehab took approximately 3 ½ weeks. The home is a 2bd, 1ba townhouse that is slightly over 1000sq ft located in Illinois.

Numbers:

Purchase Price with closing cost: $55,290.25

Rehab Cost: $28,815.60

Total in: $84,105.85

Holding cost: Roughly $450 a month (insurance, HOA fees, utilities, & taxes)

ARV: $115,000

Estimated Profit: $29,094.15

The property just went onto the market today. Here are the before and after photos!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

49Reply
405 views

Most Popular Reply

Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 16 votes
9y

Amazing work!  One suggestion I would throw out there is to hire a real estate photographer for around $100 to photograph the whole house.  I use them for my airbnb listings and there is a tangible increase in price with professional photos vs iPhone pictures.  The wine bottle was a great touch, definitely use it again!

See this reply in the discussion

219 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lafayette, CA · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    Looks great! Congrats! 

    How did you find this deal, and how did you finance it?

    Please let us know what it sells for.

  • Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 88 votes
    9y

    @Chris Low What do you exactly mean by "soft cost on selling"? But I took the holding cost into consideration when estimating my profit. I just didn't show the math. But here it is below! I was all in at 84,105.85. I estimated for 4 months holding time (hopefully it doesn't take that long). With holding cost being roughly 450 a month that brings me to a total of 1800. 84,105.85+1800=85905.85 ARV of 115,000-85,905.85 brings me to my estimated profit of 29,094.15.

  • Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 88 votes
    9y

    @Eric Mack It is an HOA so I couldn't really do anything to the exterior. And thanks, they are pergo outlast+ laminate floors!

  • St. Helena, CA · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 59 votes
    9y

    Great job, the interior was tastefully done. I'm digging that color scheme. Best of luck with the sale!

  • Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 88 votes
    9y

    @Dawn Moore Lazy Gray by Sherwin-Williams. I love it:)

  • Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 88 votes
    9y

    @Fred Pineda There were usually 2-3 guys there at a time. Lesson I learned: 1. You never close when you expect to close 2. There will ALWAYS be unexpected things that come up with a flip. Whether big or small they will come up and come with a price tag so be ready. Thank you! I hope so too!

  • Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 88 votes
    9y

    @Mark Caiazza May I ask how many sq ft the house is? Are you doing the work yourself? The HOA is suppose to take care of any exterior work but as you can see the paint could you a little sprucing up. I ultimately think its market dependent. I think it works for this type of property, I find it appealing but i would agree with you it could use some caring for. I think if this were a single family home in a better area it could have impacted it.

  • Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 225 posts · 46 votes
    9y

    Will be looking forward to hear the good news of successful sell. That's a really good job at age of 21

  • Rental Property Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Is there no tile in one of the showers? I just see a wall and a window.

  • Charles KannairPro Member
    Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2010 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Inspiring. 

    However, are you marketing it yourself as a FSBO or contracting a real estate company?

    Is the sales transaction costs part of your total (all-in) costs?

    You may want to consider getting your real estate license if you are going to do flips as a business, to recapture 1.5 to 3% of the sales price as commission for the sellers agent expense. This could help offset other personal contribution costs. 

    Impressive at 21.. the name of the game in real estate (one of them anyways), is time. 

    You're clearly "do-ing" instead of "watching/hoping/waiting" which is how you have to be. 

    I bet you learned alot about contractors, scheduling and pricing!! 

    Keep going!

    Charlie

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    That's some good work right there! Impressed:)

  • Investor · Pembroke Pines, FL · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Awesome Job! I wish I had your mindset at 21yrs. You're going do to great things!

  • Nassau County, NY · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Congrats.  Great Work. 

  • Inman, SC · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Angelica Osusky:

    @Eric Mack It is an HOA so I couldn't really do anything to the exterior. And thanks, they are pergo outlast+ laminate floors!

     ahh, gotcha. That's to bad! 

    I'll have to check out those, they look great!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Angelica Osusky Congratulations on a wonderful flip ! I haven't completed my first deal as of yet; however, your accomplishment is very inspiring. 

    If I may ask a question, one of my "limiting beliefs" or fear is not being able to find a good contractor. Can you shed any advice, approaches or tactics on how you went about hiring your contractor ? 

    If you'd like to expand on the question more please feel free to message me. 

    Thank you,

  • Nate LawsonPro Member
    Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Angelica Osusky,

      First of all, GREAT JOB! If you don't mind me asking, did you use a GC for the rehab and if so, who was it and would you recommend them? I'm looking at a couple properties myself in the Joliet area and I'm always looking for good contractors. Thanks

  • Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 88 votes
    9y
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    What?!!?? You took out that amazing wallpaper?  J/K The flip looks great and you're on your way!

    Congrats

  • Wilis, TX · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Amazing work! Congrats! Hope it sells really quick!

  • Jupiter, FL · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Angelica Osusky Looks great! How did you fund the flip?

  • Burbank, CA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Awesome @Angelica Osusky! I'm looking forward to hearing about final purchase price also and any other things that came up in the process from now until you completed. Very inspiring

  • Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 88 votes
    9y

    When my bid was quoted it was quoted with materials and labor together. So I don't know the exact break down. However, I ended up paying for the materials myself asides from the carpet, kitchen cabinets, counter top, and bathroom tile. Material were just under $4000. Appliances were roughly 1200. Check out my blog post on my sight for some more day to day, week to week activities of the rehab at primetimerei.com/first-flip :) @Sonny H.

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Angelica Osusky

    Thanks for responding. I did my first flip 11-12 years ago so its been a while. You mentioned about and LLC for your flips and from my experience and current set up...it is wise to set up the LLC for your protection against legal claims. We use an llc. ...also if you need hard cash funding most lenders lend to LLC's not individuals. Again good job and God bless.

  • Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 88 votes
    9y

    @Lee Smith I am selling with a realtor. I think I may have forgot to include the selling closing cost in my numbers. Oops! But yes not bad. I love the name of your company. Very clever! May I ask the pros and cons of being an agent/broker as well as as investor. I have been thinking about getting my licenses. I think if I can work as an agent it will provide me with great learning experiences. I really am interested in real estate because I like it, the money is just a bonus:)

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Hi Angelica - Great work!!! What about permits, did you have to get one?  Do you have the contractor that you can refer?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.