Cheyenne, WY 7 Unit Apartment Complex

Cheyenne, WY 7 Unit Apartment Complex

Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes

On December 2, I closed on a 7 unit apartment building. When I made the offer, I saw a lot of things, but the two most common were disaster and potential. Due to the size of the place, the insane income numbers, and the way that the first 6 days of ownership have gone, I figure i'd do a deal diary. I'm hoping to update this every 3 months or so.

This was an on-market deal that I found, owned by a guy who had inherited it from his father in law. He was absolutely done, and did not want anything else to do with the property. It is in rough shape, and comes with the types of tenants that will put up with the extremely poor condition that the  property was in. However, the income numbers were good, the location was good, and it's got a huge upside. I decided to go for it. Time will tell if I'm a fool or a genius.

Deal Stats

Purchase  Price: 160,000

Down Payment: 40,000

Gross rents (when full) 3,040

I closed late in the afternoon friday, dec 2 and decided to pick up the serious work of finding a property manager and dealing with the utilities on Monday.

Monday began with calls to the utilities, informing me that the seller was paying ALL utilities (they told me that I'd be paying water/sewer/trash and electric only for all units). In addition, the kind folks at the water department told me the building used 60,000 gallons of water last month, which was exceptionally high compared to its average use of 40,000 gallons. I grew up here in the Western US, and not only is that devouring my margins, there's not a lot of water here to waste and that's practically criminal. I dont know how many gallons per month an efficient 7 unit would use, but I can assure you I'll come close to finding out during this turn. After getting all the utilities in order, I started calling property managers. I called between 15 and 20, and many took a day or two to call me back (tossed, unresponsive) a few said they'd go drive by, and called back after and said they were not interested due to the condition. There was one willing to work on it, and this group has a broker with a background in house flipping. I set up a meeting for thursday morning for a walk through and tour of the 2 vacant units.

I met the property mangement broker, assistant and both maintenance guys, and went to let them in the first vacant unit. I knocked (I dont know why) and someone said "one minute". The tenant I believe was pretty shocked to see me, as I was him. I was under the impression that the unit was vacant. We chatted with him a bit, and he produced a lease, as well as receipt for payment for rent in december (Which I was told was not collected). He also informed me that the stove in his units (as well as 5 others in the building) were not functioning. We thanked him for his time, and went into the crows nest (the studio apartment at the very top) and looked around. They agreed to provide a bid for me for the work, and we went downstairs to check the mechanicals.

We spent a bit of time downstairs with the mechanicals, and discussed the strategy that I had laid out to widen the spread between income and expenses on this property, as well as a "Please do this asap" list I had prepared. Here's what was on it:

  1. Collect December rents
  2. New leases for all tenants - month to month - (except the new one, who is on a 3 month lease), that has the tenants paying the Gas portion of the utility bill for their unit.
  3. Replace a few broken windows and siding as required by the insurance company
  4. Efficiency upgrades
    1. Water: Things like new toilets, faucet aerators and showerheads
    2. Lights: LEDs are about the only think I can directly impact here.
  5. Implement a RUBS for the water/sewer portion of the bill at some point in 2017

They were on board with the plan, and were happy to help and excited for the project. I went over and signed the agreement (3 years, 10% PM fee) at around 1130, dropped my daughter off at school and went to work.

Then all hell broke loose. 

I get a call from the seller - apparently he's got the rent check from the new tenant, and he'll drop it by tomorrow, but none of the other rents have been collected. The person who was living in the crows nest (seriously, so gross) who they had to have civilly committed to get out was living in one of the other units with some guy, and I should under no circumstances let her move back into the crows nest, and she will ask. I was also informed that unit 7 was now empty (this is currently pending verification) . I thank him for the time, and start working again.

A few minutes later, the gas company calls. Someone is in the mechanical room in the basement, says there's a gas leak and I need to get over there right away. I ask if he's serious as I was in there less than 3 hours prior and didnt notice anything. He says he is. I call up the property manager, tell them the situation and they send someone over to get the keys to the building and head over. I dont hear from them for a while, then an hour or so later I get a call saying I got red-tagged by the city. The property manager has an HVAC Guy already on site, and they are dealing with some sort of backdraft issue that is filling the area with carbon monoxide, and there's a gas leak somewhere. Still unsure as to how it happened and who told the utility, but that is an issue for another day. 

So, an interesting first 6 days of ownership on the 7 unit building. I did get some good news from the property manager that my estimated rents after the units were turned were low by a fair bit, which is awesome. 

Stay tuned for update 2.

15Reply
200 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y

@Jeff F., I am really enjoying this thread.  Keep us posted.  Let me know if I can be of any help.  That probably sounds better than it is since I have a full time day job and about 30 rental units.  For what it is worth WY has one of the best eviction laws.  I think I average about 10 days from filing to court date and Writ of Restitution.  Total costs average about $600 to $800 per eviction including costs.  I could not help you in Cheyenne, but it may give you an idea of costs.  Legal costs may vary a lot there, so shop around if you get high quotes.  If the other side gets an attorney costs could also go up and things could get delayed.

See this reply in the discussion

131 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 96 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Keep up the good fight Jeff!

    Where at in Cheyenne is this? Judging by the plaster and lath walls I'm guessing near downtown or 8th avenue vicinity? 

    If you don't mind me asking what will these rehabs cost?

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    Hi @Braden Hobbs - its close to downtown. If you're standing in the front yard, you can see the state capital building. 

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Jeff F. Just found this post. This a great story. A few thoughts. 1) the water bill - Cheyenne is very high water bills as they also bill you for trash on the same bill. Not sure about the breakdown but when I had the duplex, it was over $50 per month just sitting empty with no water use. Also most water use is likely due to a leaking toilet or two and perhaps a couple faucet leaks. Do an inspection of each unit and see what's going on with that. One leaking toilet can easily cost you $50 per month and the fix is less than $20 that takes less than 15 min to repair. If you want to speed the process up, offer tenants $20 for each leak they report.

    2) You will never get the tenants to give up their pets. They will either move or ignore you. Personally, I don't think they can do more damage so I would continue to collect rent from the person. After I got the other units leased up, I would give them notice and turn their unit. The only exception of this would be if their pets in some way inhibit leasing of the renovated units. I would still let them stay until such time as I was leasing the newly renovated units.

    3) Outside cats. Call Animal Control. If Animal Control won't do anything, live trap them and remove them to a far away place.

    4) With regards to renovations. Start outside and in the common areas. Even if you have a beautiful unit if they have to walk through a mess to get to it you won't be able to rent it at market. Same with exterior. If the outside looks lower class than the renovated unit, prospects will just keep driving and you will get lots of no shows for you showing appointments. A fresh coat of paint goes a long ways. 

    Cheers. Keep you head down and trudging along. One day you will look up to sunshine and rent checks rolling in.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 151 posts · 101 votes
    9y

    This is great! Look forward to hearing more about it!

    We've had to deal with bed bugs before, they are literally the worst. Find someone who uses heat to get rid of them. We used Orkin and it took 2 months, since they only sprayed.

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    Another Month, and another update.  

    Good news (at least a bit) this time. I finally feel like this property is under control. Tenants are locked out of places they shouldnt be in, all paying rent on time, and are generally doing as expected. The water bill has gone down significantly from last month, as has the electricity/gas bill. The heating bill was higher for 2 of the emtpy units than it was for the 4 occupied ones, which was an unfortunate and rather costly ($200) oversight. I just never thought to turn the heat down when I was in there. There's plenty of room to move downward on the bills, and a lot of that will happen as the units get turned with new stuff. 

    Demo has started for 2 of the vacant units, and I'm hoping the units will be ready to show by april 1. 

    The tenants are also at this point all on their own gas bills, so next month the utility bill should go down to approx 200, a far cry from the 980$ that I paid the first go around. 

    And for the fun:

    One of the tenants is convinced their bathtub will fall through the floor. The property manager says the subfloor needs to be replaced, but doesnt think it's that bad. Unfortunately for this tenant, the way they have been acting and the fact that they have a relatively urgent repair that needs to get done means that I will be notifying them that I will not renew their lease come the end of april. They seem to be a pretty needy tenant, and they seem to be causing many problems for the property manager. This is not something I want to deal with, nor do I want them to deal with. This unit will be the next one up for rehab. 

    We were notified that homeless people (not sure how many) have been sleeping in the small foyer that serves as an entrance to 2 of the units. This was remedied with a lock to the exterior door and should be fine now (finally, the problems are getting easier and cheaper to solve!)

    Rehab has continued to uncover issues. As you can see from the earlier pictures, many of the floors were rotted through and had to be replaced, however there are potential structural issues there with some of the main supports as well as the floor joists. I'll be meeting with the property manager (and a structural engineer) tomorrow to determine what needs to be done. This is unfortunate because it has kind of put the rest of the rehab on hold for the moment. It's really pushing against my deadline of showing those by 4/1, but we will see what happens. 

    Still taking losses on the property, but was able to talk to a few bankers about a refi. I'll be in pretty good shape once every unit is turned and rented. 

    Also got a quote about siding and am not sure what to do. It'll be 23k to re-side the entire place. Painting is not going to cover it, mainly because the current siding panels are asbestos and many are missing and are unable to be replaced. I'm considering it for a few reasons (mainly because of what I've heard from a few people in this thread) - that while the inside is nice, if the outside is bad then people will just skip it, but 23k is a whole lot of money to pour in there right away. Any thoughts on this would be a great help.

    I also think i'll be taking a day or 2 each week off from my day job to speed up the rehab on this place and start getting the income up. While I have the cash, It'd be nice to stop the hemorrhaging. 

  • Wholesaler · Greeley, CO · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Does the 23k involve them taking off the asbestos siding?

  • Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    If they're taking the asbestos siding away too, then do it. You're getting rid of a liability. The last thing you want is your tenants suing you saying the siding was the cause of their sickness. Looks are a very important thing to. Don't overlook it. When I was searching for an apartment to rent for myself, I skipped any place that didn't look good or decent. If the place didn't look "ok" at least, then it was a clear sign the landlord was ignoring the place.

  • Entrepreneur · Frisco, TX · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    Keep improving as much of the property as you can during this extended rehab. Make as much of it as possible new. Then, you can fill the place with good tenants at higher rents on a year lease.

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    Time for the April Update.

    I've spent the last 3 or so weeks in India & Myanmar, so I missed a few of these questions:

    As for the siding, they're putting new stuff over the old stuff, and the final cost was around 26k. They are about half finished at this point, and I hope for them to be done in another 10 days or so. 

    I've also gotten a few bids and once the siding is finished im having a electrician out to the tune of 8k to convert to multi meters for electricity - one for each unit, and a common area account, which should add a bunch of value to the property. 

    The problem tenant has been notified that I will not be renewing their lease at the end of april and has responded accordingly. They've been complaining about bed-bug issues for a while, and now are refusing to let the people in to spray the unit. I suspect that they will damage the unit as they are leaving, but they likely cant do much more than what's already damaged and it will be nice to get rid of this problem and get that unit producing.

    The work on the other two has been slow going because of structural issues that require correcting of some floor joists and other things, but is continuing. Obviously, my original goal of april 1 is out the window. I suspect that's not the worst thing in the world, as it will allow me to show them (Im hoping for may 1 now) with the siding finished and the new windows in so the building will look much nicer. Given the location and the updated finishes as well as the look of the building, I'm expecting these to go quick once they are up and running. 

    This building is finally fully under control - focusing on just inefficiencies due to poor management, I've returned ~750/mo of cashflow to the property with JUST the lights/gas and making the tenants pay their own way. This has cost me almost nothing. 

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Post some before and after pictures of the property after you have the siding and windows complete. It's always great to see the transformations.

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    @Bill S. - I'll be sure to get a few when it's done and post them with what I've got. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jeff F. Incredible story and glad to see your progress. Would love getting updates and how you've further handled the issues. 

    Best of luck. 

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    @Omar Khan - Will be updating soon.

    Been busy :D 

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    Following as we are currently under contract with a similar sounding 7 unit, 1 bed/baths, in East Chicago, IN. keep up the great work!

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Jeff F. I may have missed this part in the story but did you have this apartment inspected before purchasing or did you forgo that part?  You had so many surprises, I was wondering if this was missed by the inspector.  Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    @Ebe Chinweze - I didnt bother with an inspection because I Knew there were going to be issues and was ready for them. That being said, that may have been the wrong move but there was enough meat on the bone to swallow quite a bit. 

  • CA · Member since 2017 · 153 posts · 74 votes
    9y
    Thanks for the resourceful post. Looking forward to read the updates.
  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    For those of you following the thread im sure you're waiting for an update. One is coming soon, I promise. 

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    OK, I need to take some pictures today then will post a full update tonight. The saga continues, but this time has a dash of good news. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    I had planned on updating this every month or so, but I got quite busy and there wasn't a whole lot of big progress to report, so I wanted to wait until I had something good. 

    (Pictures later tonight, I didnt get any yesterday)

    Key take-aways for the tl;dr set:

    • focus on one unit at a time. being forced due to plumbing issues to work on multiple ones at a time increased the time it took the building to start producing 
    • Go for the low hanging fruit first - energy & water efficiency first. Doing that lowered the amount of cash i had to put in significantly. Whatever bills you HAVE to pay, make the tenants pay or make them as low as possible
    • Move on quickly if needed. My initial contractor was busy and very slow. I've found someone else and progress has moved at a breakneck pace compared to earlier this year
    • it's better to have a group waiting for a tenant to vacate than an empty unit for a group to work on

    Since the last update, the siding and windows are all installed, and look great. It was a LOT of money, but @Bill S. was right - it needed to be done first. Im glad I did it that way. 

    As for the problem tenant that didnt get their lease renewed, that was a mistake on my part. I expected the rehab to go faster than it has, and unfortunately that unit has sat empty since may 1 and no work has been done on it. This was a dumb idea. Thinking back, I had plenty of other things to do for the workers even if I didnt give them their 30 day notice until the other one was completely finished. This mistake has cost me (to this point) close to 3k. Live & learn i suppose. Definitely not a mistake to wait until next time. Thankfully, they did not do much damage to the unit. 

    The structural issues were taken care of but unfortunately delayed my timeframe quite a bit. My timetable of 1 month per unit is completely out the window. Obviously this is something that I can learn from next time, but it is what it is. 

    So on to the good news update: Unit 7, the one that the workers have been focusing on is finished and was rented for 625/mo (i worked my BRRRR calcs on 600/mo for the 1 bed/1 bath units). The new tenant's lease starts on october 1.

    The studio aparment should be done in 2 weeks or so, and im not sure where to price that quite  yet. 

    I'll be heading over later and will take some pictures of the recently rented unit & the exterior and will post later. 

    The property management team has been fantastic, and is literally the best 150$/mo I have spent in my life (or close to it)

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    Hilariously, I figured i'd go over there tonight, take some quick pictures and just post those. If only this property were that easy. 

    Most important, a few pictures (The "before" pictures are earlier in the thread, here)

    Unit stats

    Rent: 625/mo, 1 year lease

    Rehab costs - still tallying but this included some structural work & a lot of building wide plumbing - 12k+

    Kitchen:

    Bedroom: 

    Bathroom - I went with a black floor (Allure) and i really like how it turned out

    Living Room:

    And now to add to the hilariousness of this property. 

    Those of you long time readers will recall the tenant who was angry about me taking over "his" shed, and then unplugging the space heaters he had put in there so he could feed many many cats that were living in "his" shed. He doesnt seem to have a firm handle of things at times, and today one of the contractors (there are 2 different ones on site at the moment) heard him screaming outside that he was going to burn the place down. I do not take this as a credible threat, but if any of you have any ideas on how to handle this other than a stern letter, I'm all ears. He is month-to-month so i can get rid of him asap, but i'd like to keep taking his money and lower what I have to put in.

    Another update should come soon, as the studio (which was called heroin nest by the contractor working in there now) is about 1.5-2 weeks away from competition.

    Thanks for reading. 

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Jeff Farnsworth nice job. I hope the tenants treat it with suitable respect. Just curious, what is the counter top and why did you go that route?

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 48 votes
    8y
    This is the stuff that motivates me!!!!
  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 48 votes
    8y
    Jeff Fruhwirth thank you for your update commitment!
  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    8y
    @Bill S. it's butcher block. i think it looked good and was fairly cheap. (160 for that). it does need monthly care so I'm curious to see if that happens (just a coat of mineral oil)
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.